Managing shaman spells - hiding them or removing them altogether

temnix

As far as I understand, shamans' spell selection comprises a few special spells given to them in CLABSH01.2DA and CLABSHGS.2DA (what does this second file do?) plus all of the usual priestly spells available to Druid/Ranger/Shaman - or not? Where can I find the complete list of spells that shamans can use, and can they be found automatically? Is it possible to use Weidu to home in on all of shamans' spells, exclusive and not?

Those are just introductory questions. The reason I ask is because I would like to change this class' magic system. I want to junk the sorcerer-like spell-picking system and leave them with a normal, automatic spell list and system like that of priests. Is this possible? If memorization is hard-coded for shamans, then for my upcoming shaman revamp I will have to limit myself to changing their spell selection. Many common and popular spells like Cures, Slow Poison and so on have to be struck out. Shamans will perform cures in a different way, through dancing. So, if nothing more that this can be done, I would like to know how to forbid spells to shamans.

If memorization can be junked and the spell selection screen avoided, I can implement a more ambitious system, with better role-playing. Then I'll be asking a more difficult question. But first I need to know.

Off the top of my head: zero out every value in SPLSHMKN.2da, which will preclude use of the existing spell-picking mechanism. Then choose which spells you want them to know, and add them manually just as the special ones already are in CLABSH01. 

This will break the class for any kits, though. 

(edited the filename typo)

Edited by subtledoctor

This idea about giving shamans zero spells at SPLSHMKN won't do. I don't want to take away their spell progression or even change it, I want to empty their repertoire, then give them the spells one by one through special events. Any other ideas? Unless there is no other way to disable spell-picking. If that is the case, then I could do it but apply the Bonus priest spells effect to reproduce the same number of slots. I really would rather not, though.

1 hour ago, temnix said:

This idea about giving shamans zero spells at SPLSHMKN won't do. I don't want to take away their spell progression or even change it, I want to empty their repertoire, then give them the spells one by one through special events. Any other ideas? Unless there is no other way to disable spell-picking. If that is the case, then I could do it but apply the Bonus priest spells effect to reproduce the same number of slots. I really would rather not, though.

You're not being clear enough. In "emptying their repertoire and giving them spells one-by-one through special events," then yes, you do want to take away/change their spell progression -- their known spell progression. That has nothing to with their spellcasting progression, which is governed by MXSPLSHM.2da.

SPLSHMKN.2da governs how many spells they can choose through the spell-picking UI, for each spell level, and when the spell-picking UI is invoked. You can leave that in place and give them select bonus spell on top of that (modifying the progression as desired); or you can remove the spell-picking UI altogether and give them select spells via your new method, whatever it is. From what you wrote, I understood you to desire the latter:

On 4/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, temnix said:

If memorization can be junked and the spell selection screen avoided

This is how to do that.

Edited by subtledoctor