Draw Upon Holy Might / Divine Gift

Hey, I'm actually updating the French translation of Ascension with Selphira.

Are Draw Upon Holy Might (ascension.tra @2002) / Divine Gift (description.tra @21) the same spell ? I suspect them to be the same but the name and the description doesn't exactly match, it might have been missed out with the 2.0 update.

If yes, which one is the last updated one ?

I will keep asking my question concerning Ascension in this thread.

23 hours ago, Jazira said:

Are Draw Upon Holy Might (ascension.tra @2002) / Divine Gift (description.tra @21) the same spell ? I suspect them to be the same but the name and the description doesn't exactly match, it might have been missed out with the 2.0 update.

No. Divine Gift is a maximized, non-scaling version of Draw upon Holy Might.

16 hours ago, Jazira said:

Ok thanks, both were translated with the same name by the previous translator (Puiser dans la puissance divine = Draw Upon Holy Might).

It might be because originally they were indeed the same spell. But in v2, DavidW made the explicit decision to change it, because (1) he coded a component wherein the main pc regained the lost powers (2) the lost powers, for good pcs, included DuHM, so it made more sense to get as a new ToB-level power a different, beefier one.

Edited by grodrigues

@1102 = ~I thought you were going to kill yourself after I was dead. Sure you won't see some more evil once Melissan is dead, too? You'd probably make a promising Lord of Murder, you know...~

https://github.com/InfinityMods/Ascension/blob/master/ascension/lang/english/balth.tra

I have a hard time to get the sens with this sentence, the one in bold. Can someone reformulate it for me please ?

Does it mean "Are you sure you won't see more evil once Melissan is dead ?", as I understand it, or it's more like "And so you will no longer see the evil once Melissan is dead, right ?", as it was translated by my predecessor ? 

Guest E.T.

Predecessor was wrong. It's a taunt meant to undermine Balthazar's confidence: Are you sure you won't go and seek more evil to eradicate once Melissan is dead? Underneath this line is the lingering doubt that in his quest against evil, he would become the Lord of Murder.

Guest E.T.

Example translation: Je croyais que tu devais te suicider après m'avoir tué. Une fois Mélissane éliminée elle aussi, ne trouveras-tu pas ailleurs plus de Mal à combattre ? Tu ferais sans doute un excellent Seigneur du Meutre.

Thank you. :)

Very nice translation skill, you should try to translate/proofread mods. ;) 

Before : @1102 = ~Je pensais que vous vous tueriez après que je sois mort. Et ainsi vous ne verrez plus le mal une fois Mélissane morte, n'est-ce pas ? Hmmm, vous feriez certainement un bon Seigneur du Meurtre...~

After : @1102 = ~Je pensais que vous vous tueriez après que je sois mort. Êtes-vous sûr que vous ne trouverez pas plus de mal à combattre une fois que Mélissane sera éliminée, elle aussi ? Hmmm, vous feriez certainement un bon Seigneur du meurtre...~ ~Je pensais que vous vous tueriez après que je sois morte. Êtes-vous sûr que vous ne trouverez pas plus de mal à combattre une fois que Mélissane sera éliminée, elle aussi ? Hmmm, vous feriez certainement un bon Seigneur du meurtre...~

Edited by Jazira

/!\ Spoiler below...

English typos I've found :

description.tra @1 'half-phased'...she -> 'half-phased'... she 
@31 they take 4d8 -> he take
@32 they -> he
ee.tra @3004@3005 weapon...and -> weapon... and
epilogue.tra @4003 <CHARNAME>...and  -> <CHARNAME>... and 
@4007 <CHARNAME>...and  -> <CHARNAME>... and 
@4010 Rashemon -> Rashemen
@4017 and or -> or 
balth.tra @1075 <CHARNAME>...though -> <CHARNAME>... though
@1092 <CHARNAME>...I -> <CHARNAME>... I
@1117 <CHARNAME>...you must -> <CHARNAME>... you must
@1125 <CHARNAME>...and -> <CHARNAME>... and
@1160 <CHARNAME>...but -> <CHARNAME>... but

Am I wrong for any of them ?

Then for inconsistencies I might have found :

balthfinsol.tra @1015 "The choice is your own. You know yourself better than I. I simply ask that you consider the life you might have led, the mortal life, had the taint never visited itself upon you back at Candlekeep. I look forward to my own." // Balthazar to Charname

"had the taint never visited itself upon you back at Candlekeep."

Gorion would (maybe?) not have adopted Charname without his taint... But maybe Balthazar didn't know why & how Gorion & Winthrop adopted Charname & Imoen with the help of Elminster ?

the_five.tra @31 "I gave you life again, and I can take it away... for the third time." // Charname to Sarevok

What does charname mean about "for the third time" (killing sarevok) ? I thought it was the second time. Maybe I'm wrong, haven't played bg2 for a long time.

Solved !

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

French translation, I might appreciate some help to be 100% confident before sending to the files to the proofreader

ascension.tra @1041 "Transfixed"

That mean something like frozen/rooted, rather than fascinated/astounded, right ?

balth.tra @1117 "Do not take it, <CHARNAME>...even a god can be tempted" // Balthazar to Charname

&

iren_bodhi.tra @42 "You are weak, Bodhi, while the blood of a god flows within me." // Charname to Bodhi

What god are balthazar/charname talking about ? Bhaal or the god Charname is becoming ? It matter for female version.

Solved !

iren_bodhi.tra @456 "The first thing I shall feel in an eon shall be pleasure as I watch your corpse turn to dust. " // Irenicus to Charname

Not 100% sure about that one, right now it is translated like that (deepl) : "The first thing I'm going to feel in an eternity is pleasure as I watch your remains turn to dust." Is it ok ?

Solved !

iren_sarev.tra @451 "Though I would dearly love to let my sister rot in her own Hell for eternity" // Irenicus to Charname, talking about Bodhi

What does he mean about "In her own hell" ? Her vampire soulless state, something like that ?

Solved !

mel_iren_imoen.tra @611 "You don't have to go anywhere, little one. I'm not calling you, after all... I'm merely coaxing forth your essence." // Melissan to Imoen

Could someone reformulate and explain like I'm 5 years old . Even with the context knowledge and the .D, I'm really not sure about it. Right now it is translated like that (deepl) : "You've got nowhere to go, kid. I didn't bring (or summon, rather than call) you here, after all... I'm just coaxing your essence." Is it ok ?

Those words are really simple, but I've got a hard time making a connection with the context.

Edited by Jazira

23 hours ago, Morgoth said:

balthfinsol.tra @1015 "had the taint never visited itself upon you back at Candlekeep." // Balthazar to Charname -> I think he is speaking rhetorically. What he means is that Charname was hunted in Candlekeep due to the taint.

The fact is that Gorion & Winthrop adopted Charname & Imoen BECAUSE they had the taint. Without it, I doubt they would have been adopted at all. So the real question here is : Does Balthazar knew that ?

My bad I should have put the whole line here : "The choice is your own. You know yourself better than I. I simply ask that you consider the life you might have led, the mortal life, had the taint never visited itself upon you back at Candlekeep. I look forward to my own."

the_five.tra @31 "I gave you life again, and I can take it away... for the third time." // Charname to Sarevok --> You meet sarevok in BG1 and in the end of BG2 - Soa (in hell). Yes, even if it's a ghost summoned by you, it's sarevok.

Thanks for the reminder, that effectively help me.

ascension.tra @1041 "Transfixed" --> you have to add context, both the definitions you have offered are right.

Can't provide any context, this is just a single word, but if I got to bet, I'd say it's an effect (from spell and such).

balth.tra @1117 "Do not take it, <CHARNAME>...even a god can be tempted" // Balthazar to Charname --> Balthazar is referring to the fact that if Charname gets the opportunity of taking the taint, he shouldn't take it, even if (any) God would be tempted to do otherwise. He is referring to the fact that the temptation is hard to resist for a god, imagine for a demigod.

Clarification: He is referring to the choice you are offered by the Solar in the endgame - become a god or live as a human. --> he would like that you do not accept the offer to take the taint and consequentially become a god.

iren_bodhi.tra @42 "You are weak, Bodhi, while the blood of a god flows within me." // Charname to Bodhi --> Charname is referring to the fact that he has the blood of Bhaal inside himself/herself.

Yeah I knew, my question here was : What god are we talking about ? Bhaal or the one Charname is becoming ? My bet is The one charname is becoming for balth.tra and Bhaal for iren_bodhi.tra.

"The first thing I shall feel in an eon shall be pleasure as I watch your corpse turn to dust. "  --> The way you translated it is odd. What he means is that a lot of time has passed since charname felt pleasure. So charname is telling bodhi "even if I have not felt pleasure for a long time, seeing you turn into dust will be pleasurable".

This is Irenicus talking to Charname.;)

Though I would dearly love to let my sister rot in her own Hell for eternity --> He could be referring to a variety of things. The undead curse, or the fact that she will never be accepted by the elves again, etc etc. I think it's left to the reader

Ok thanks, that's helpful.

"You don't have to go anywhere, little one. I'm not calling you, after all... I'm merely coaxing forth your essence."  --> What is happening here is that Amelyssan is not speaking to Imoen* , but to the essence contained into Imoen. So she is basically saying " No need to worry yourself, child. I'm not calling you (meaning "I'm not speaking to you")... I'm just trying to make your essence (meaning the Bhaal essence) emerge.

Ahhhh, interesting, I didn't understand it that way. Someone else can confirm, just to be sure ?

If you need help of this kind, just tag me. By the way, I'm hoping one day you will release your mod for BGT and for the single installment of BG:EE and BG2 (by making the items or clues you find importable into the next game) - I don't use EET.

Good modding.

What mod are you talking about ? Ascension ? This is not my mod, I'm just a humble translator. ;)

If you have any recommendations, you better ask them directly to DavidW.

Edited by Jazira

Sorry, was on a trip at the Pyrenees.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:45 PM, Morgoth said:

"The choice is your own. You know yourself better than I. I simply ask that you consider the life you might have led, the mortal life, had the taint never visited itself upon you back at Candlekeep. I look forward to my own."

Okay, that is different.

I simply ask that you consider the life you might have led, the mortal life, had the taint never visited itself upon you back at Candlekeep. I look forward to my own." --> He is asking charname to compare the life that charname lived (endless killing) to the life he would have lived if he was never a child of bhaal (so if charname was a human)... 

He is meaning "Consider if you were never a child of Bhaal to begin with. I'm looking forward (to living) my own (human life)".

You still don't get what I mean. I do have understood that sentence entirely. What I mean here is that it sound like some inconsistencies.

Because if "the taint never visited itself upon charname" he/she would not been at Candlekeep at all, Gorion would not have adopted him. He adopted him/her because he/she is a Bhaalspawn. I'm 99% sure about that.

But... maybe Balthazar didn't know this fact. And that's what I'm asking. Does Balthazar be supposed to know that ?

Yeah I knew, my question here was : What god are we talking about ? Bhaal or the one Charname is becoming ? My bet is The one charname is becoming for balth.tra and Bhaal for iren_bodhi.tra. --> You guessed well. 

Great, thanks !

The way you translated it is odd. What he means is that a lot of time has passed since charname felt pleasure. So charname is telling bodhi "even if I have not felt pleasure for a long time, seeing you turn into dust will be pleasurable". ... This is Irenicus.

Well, what I said doesn't change much. The meaning is the same ... Irenicus is telling Charname "even if I have not felt pleasure for a long time, seeing you turn into dust will be pleasurable". --> he is taunting charname because as you know, Bhaalspawn can't be resurrected. So he is telling charname "OH I WILL LOVE SEEING YOU DIE"

Then the way it was translated is correct, thanks. It may sound odd because of English -> French -> back to English. ;) 

Ahhhh, interesting, I didn't understand it that way. Someone else can confirm, just to be sure ? I can confirm because I played Ascension

Don't take it personally, the more feedback I get, the more confident I am. You sound like an English native, so you must be right. ;)

Don't ask me why, but I was pretty sure that you released a mod concerning the twisted Rune. But I checked your profile and couldn't find anything. Oh well.   

I'm not, sorry. :( 

Edited by Jazira

Anyway this is just a detail. I doubt this is a real matter, and there is no clear answer to "Did Balthazar knew ?".

I thank you for the time you spent for me and this translation. :)

You have enlightened me for nearly all my questioning regarding Ascension, and that wasn't a small task.