why does sorcerer script not use stoneskin / mage armor?

Guest magefanboy

Guest magefanboy

My sorcerer does not pre-buff with stoneskin. I'm looking at ease-of-use script and indeed they are excluded, anyone knows why?

https://imgur.com/PjYoKk0

It's the same for stoneskin, mage armor, melf meteors (I can sort of understand this one)

Guest Guest Guestly

Are you playing on an EE? Per the readme, the SCS ease-of-use script doesn’t automatically work for spontaneous casters but the readme has instructions on how to enable it. 

Guest Master of Replies

No I'm playing classic. I have already "fixed" it for myself, I'm just curious what was the reason. Why spontaneous caster(s) are excluded?

If a mage has Stoneskin memorized, the only thing they can do with that slot is cast Stoneskin. So it makes sense to cast it whenever it's helpful.

If a sorcerer casts Stoneskin, it uses up a 4th-level slot that they might have been planning to use for something else. It's much more difficult to anticipate when a player might or might not want to use that slot, so I leave it up to players by default. (This is actually the result of a specific request from someone who played sorcerers, years ago.)

Guest Xzarlike

Sorry for the necro, but is this not something that could already be handled by turning off the buff options in that character's script? Pre-enable it for all spontaneous, if they have those options picked?

The philosophy behind Ease-of-use AI is that it’s supposed to automate obvious no-brained decisions, not make subtler judgement calls. It’s (nearly always) a no-brainer that a wizard with Stoneskin memorized should use it. That’s not true for sorcerers. And if you’re going to micromanage by toggling AI off and on, you may as well micromanage by casting Stoneskin direct.