Does the newest EET (Release 13) work with game version 2.5.x?

2 hours ago, jastey said:

Just use the older EET version if you want to play on 2.5. I don't understand some questions.

I think he meant if version 13 of EET works both with patch 2.5 and 2.6. In case it does, he can install it whatever the patched version he is using. In case v13 works only with patch 2.6 he needs to downolad RC12 to be able to use EET with patch 2.5, as you said. 

@Cahir I know. What I don't understand is is the idea of "is this also compatible with an outdated version". How should the modder know - without spending time and effort to check the compatibility. And why would the modder spend time checking for compatibility with an older version? Why would a player want a modder spending time for this if the modder can use that time to improve the mod for the current game version. Of course it's a valid question, and it would be good to know. But in the end - what for? The game was updated, so now the mod gets updated. What does it help to know whether the updated mod version is also backwards compatible - sorry for being ignorant and triggered but I don't get these kind of questions.

Installing latest EET on patch 2.5 games will result in similar problems as installing previous EET release on top of patch 2.6 games. So no, it is not compatible.

I assume the question was asked because there are mods dependent upon EEex, which is for a foreseeable future, not compatible with patch 2.6. This is a valid concern, imo - for example I value possibilities introduced by EEex much higher than what was added in the latest patch. Installing EEex should be still possible if you keep your Baldur.exe file from your old patch 2.5 EET installation and copy it to new one, so that EEex installator could correctly recognize and patch it. You will miss some engine improvements and fixes but this is the only way to have it installed on top of latest game build. This approach is better than sticking to patch 2.5 games because of many changes and fixes to game files introduced in patch 2.6 (which should still work, regardless of executable version, I think).

Edited by K4thos
On 6/23/2021 at 12:32 AM, jastey said:

Just use the older EET version if you want to play on 2.5. I don't understand some questions.

Necroing a bit, but I actually don't think this is a bad question. The answer seems to now be well-known - EET v13 is not compatible with the 2.5 patch.

But the 2.5 patch is all that is available on some platforms. and EET v12 is not compatible with some desirable mods, notably Lava's Shadows of the Sword Coast. And EET v13 makes some important-seeming fixes, like that nasty kitlist/weapprof index mismatch. I can't figure out why EET is messing with the kitlist/weapprof index in the first place. The Github changelog says the issue is "fixed" in EET v13 and I would really like to backport the fix to v12. But looking at the commits, I did not notice what change actually fixed that. I think I figured out the changes that made EET compatible with SotSC... but I cannot tell if back-porting those changes would then make my Frankenstein's monster version of 12 incompatible with the 2.5 patch. This is very frustrating.

So, since people around here seem to have a better understanding of these things now, a year later, I'll follow up with a clarifying question: does anyone know what parts of EET v13 are incompatible with the 2.5 patch? Is it UI stuff? Lua stuff? Or does it go deeper than that?

If I was going to (or... maybe already did) go through the recent commits to pick some to backport to v12.2, are there any that stand out as "don't touch this one" territory?

5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I can't figure out why EET is messing with the kitlist/weapprof index in the first place.

I think this bitrot somewhat. Judging from the code I'm looking at, I guess there was a time when there were actual index differences between BGEE and BG2EE in the kitlist, where it used different names and maybe one of the original kits was even missing and this got overlooked when upstream standardized. Additionally, there's still Sirene atleast, who installs her own custom kit to the game which needs to be imported along, because the mod still doesn't have native EET compat.

It was https://github.com/Gibberlings3/EET/commit/151ca8b499d5e55c6b0bb00a8a78b1011b4494dc btw. That looks safe for backporting.

Keep in mind that EET's importer at the start was literally tailored to mods instead of nowadays' mods-should-be-installable-upon-EET practice, so it needed to include mod-added kits, spells, items... everything. This segment might be simplified somewhat these days but in order to prevent any issues, that can only happen if the install-BG1-mods-before-EET compat code is axed and the remaining handful mods get a native compat patch (I don't count with the EE Fixpack now which should obviously be native-import-supported because I think it's not comparable against content mods in terms of assets being added/changed).

The UI is the biggest offender between 2.5 and 2.6 though, everything else should be compatible during unmodded transfer.

It's also frustrating to see someone going to ad homineming to defend Apple's bad practices, never apologizing for them then expecting the same people he personally attacked to aid further. In my first year of running modded games, the bugs caused by your mods were the biggest reasons I had to abandon my runs and rebuild my games. I never attacked you or your code despite that.

Edited by Graion Dilach
On 6/11/2022 at 6:32 AM, Graion Dilach said:

I guess there was a time when there were actual index differences between BGEE and BG2EE in the kitlist, where it used different names and maybe one of the original kits was even missing and this got overlooked when upstream standardized. Additionally, there's still Sirene atleast, who installs her own custom kit to the game which needs to be imported

Ah, I see - some kits might need to be installed into BGEE, which means EET would have to import the whole kit from that mod into BG2EE along with the normal BGEE files. I suppose BGT never had to deal with this sort of thing because the expectation then was that BG1-aimed NPC/kit mods should be updated to install directly into BGT, or else miss the train. So EET does this to be more supportive of BGEE mods that have not been updated. That's nice.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:32 AM, Graion Dilach said:

It's also frustrating to see someone going to ad homineming to defend Apple's bad practices

Dude, I want to be clear: I could give a shit about Apple's practices. There are things I like about the company/its OS and there are things I don't like. There will inevitably be things about which you and I disagree. But it's completely irrelevant. The other OP owned a Mac, was using a Mac running MacOS, and was asking for help in a thread titled "Mac Install Guide for EET." And you decided to post in a thread a pissy screed about how Macs are terrible. So your help was, implicitly, that the guy should go back in time and convince his younger self to buy a different computer. Which is aggressively unhelpful. So I called you out for being shitty. That's not "ad hominem" which means targeting a debater instead of their argument. I was not arguing with you - just berating you for bad behavior.

You want to start a thread about how awful Apple computers are? Go right ahead! You'll get lots of people to agree with you, and believe it or not there are a number of areas in which I would agree with you. But don't post that shit in a thread dedicated to helping people who already own and use Macs.

I don't plan to apologize for calling out your behavior. You did something shitty, and I reacted. That's it. I have no beef beyond that. Whether you still do, is up to you.

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

And you decided to post in a thread a pissy screed about how Macs are terrible. ...

The first pissy screed that appeared in the Mac install guide for Baldur's Gate EET thread was your pissy screed about the choices made by k4thos in developing EET, including the fact that he chose to make it on his own (the temerity of the man!!!) and is no longer around on these forums. I suspect that set the tone for what followed.

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

I don't plan to apologize for calling out your behavior. You did something shitty, and I reacted.

Goodness, no, why ever would you do that when you can just edit your rants away and pretend that nothing happened?