Transfer EET install to new PC and continue from there?

Guest FriendlyGamerDude

Guest FriendlyGamerDude

My question is: how can I transfer my EET install from one machine to the other? 

The current install is on my laptop, but I have since gotten a beefy gaming PC with an ultrawide. I am currently mid-game in BG1EE (always playing through my EET install) and I would like to continue where I am on the other PC. 

Is the matter as simple as copy-pasting the directories to the new machine (probably need to install the vanilla games there first)? Can I then transfer the savegame file and will it run without problems?

Or do I need to install EET on the new machine, making sure to very carefully pick the right mod selections? I foresee some problems with this because EET and mods may have been updated since I installed it first on my laptop (this was in 2018).

Or, as a last resort, do a fresh EET install on the new PC, finish BG1 on the laptop, then start a fresh SoD game and use the import function to get my main character and go from there. This would be the least ideal option because it might affect the continuity of the trilogy such as NPCs, items, anything else...? 

The games are installed in

C:\Users\<username>\Beamdog Library\00783 and 00806. 00783 is BG2EE and 00806 is BG1EE. 

\00783 contains a lot of mod setup files (strategems, friendship mods, setup-EET files) 
\00783 contains two files with mod lists: WEIDU.txt and WEIDU-BGEE.txt. They are not the same.
\00806 contains only 1 weidu file (WEIDU.txt). 
In fact, \00806\WEIDU.txt is identical to \00706\WEIDU-BGEE.txt!
\00783\WEIDU-BGEE.txt (and \00806\WEIDU.txt) lists a handful of mods only, BG1AERIE, BG1NPC, BG1NPCMUSIC, CORANBFRIEND, ... , BG1UB
The bulk of the mods seem to be logged in \00783\WEIDU.txt. 
\00783\WEIDU.txt lists many more: core EET, ASCENSION, IEPBANTERS, more friendship mods, UB, STRATEGEMS, EET_TWEAKS, etc 

Thank you!

Guest FriendlyGamerDude
2 hours ago, Sam. said:

You should be able to just copy the entire game directory from one machine to another and continue playing.  Same with the entire "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy" directory in Documents.

That would be after installing the vanilla games through the Beamdog Client, but before installing EET, right? 

Guest FriendlyGamerDude
1 minute ago, Guest FriendlyGamerDude said:

That would be after installing the vanilla games through the Beamdog Client, but before installing EET, right? 

I mean because Windows 10 needs to do some things like setting registry connections? (I am not an expert on this)

1 minute ago, Guest FriendlyGamerDude said:

I mean because Windows 10 needs to do some things like setting registry connections? (I am not an expert on this)

I don't think that should be necessary.  Before trying anything else, just copy the game folder to the new machine and launch the game.  I think it should work.  The classic games required registry connections, but the EEs don't and are very portable.

The Enhanced Edition games are portable, with more recent patch versions even across different systems (Windows, macOS, Linux) since binaries for all platforms are included by default. Installation path also doesn't matter unless you want to manage the game by a game client (e.g. Steam or GOG).

You might have to reinstall OpenAL on your new system though, which is required to run the game.

Guest FriendlyGamerDude

Hi guys, I followed your instructions and I think it worked!

1) I moved C:\Users\<username>\Beamdog Library\00783 and C:\...\00806 on my old PC to D:\ on my new PC (no need for Users\<username>\...)

2) I moved C:\Users\<username>\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy from the old PC into exactly the same directory on the new PC.

At this point I tried starting EET by running \00783\Baldur.exe on the new PC, but I got the OpenAL error.

A file called OpenAL32.dll was found on my old PC in C:\Windows\System32 but copying this to either the game files directory or System32 on the new PC did NOT work, instead I installed OpenAL from the file "oalinst.zip" that can be found on https://code.google.com/archive/p/rallyraid/downloads (kudos to Cactus on the Beamdog forums for finding it: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/20192/openal32-dll-game-wont-start)

Now it works.

Thanks!

Guest FriendlyGamerDude

Hi guys, I followed your instructions and I think it worked!

1) I moved C:\Users\<username>\Beamdog Library\00783 and C:\...\00806 on my old PC to D:\ on my new PC (no need for Users\<username>\...)

2) I moved C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy from the old PC into exactly the same directory on the new PC.

At this point I tried starting EET by running \00783\Baldur.exe on the new PC, but I got the OpenAL error.

A file called OpenAL32.dll was found on my old PC in C:\Windows\System32 but copying this to either the game files directory or System32 on the new PC did NOT work, instead I installed OpenAL from the file "oalinst.zip" that can be found on https://code.google.com/archive/p/rallyraid/downloads (kudos to Cactus on the Beamdog forums for finding it: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/20192/openal32-dll-game-wont-start)

Now it works.

Thanks!