ERORR when installing item upgrade mod (v45) after SCS installation

Guest Theogore

Guest Theogore

Hi there

I hope maybe here, someone can help me, i think my problem might have something to do with the SCS installation. When i try to install the item upgrade mod, the following error message occurs:

ERROR: error loading [itemupgrade/baf/scs_compat.baf]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Verbesserte Ausrüstung für 'Die Schatten von Amn' -> Original Version (new upgrades in a list)], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 117 files for [ITEMUPGRADE/ITEMUPGRADE.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled    117 files for [ITEMUPGRADE/ITEMUPGRADE.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "itemupgrade/baf/scs_compat.baf")

I have the latest version of BG 2: EE installed, and the only mod i have installed is SCS (also latest Version). Item upgrade mod should work with SCS, so i dont know where the problem lies. 

Can anyone help me?

Problem is not in SCS.  The error message indicates rather clearly that a file is missing in the ItemUpgrade package.  (Checking the source code, it probably means to use itemupgrade/bcs/scs_compat.baf, not itemupgrade/baf/scs_compat.baf.)

And as Graion Dilach already indicated, with very rare exceptions (only two I know of are aTweaks and EET_End), you should install SCS last.  This goes especially for mods that add items or spells, otherwise the AI won't know about those.

Edited by Angel
Guest Theogore

Thanks for the fast reply! 

If i were to uninstall SCS, then install the item upgrade mod and reinstall SCS, would i be able to continue with my current savegame?

Item upgrade mod doesnt add items that appear in the game, as far as i know. Its only new options for cromwell/cespenar.

Guest Theogore

Because im confused now if its because of SCS, then i would just try to reinstall in correct order, or if it is because of a missing file in the mod, where i would have no clue what to do.

23 hours ago, Guest Theogore said:

If i were to uninstall SCS, then install the item upgrade mod and reinstall SCS, would i be able to continue with my current savegame?

Item upgrade mod doesnt add items that appear in the game, as far as i know. Its only new options for cromwell/cespenar.

Changing mods on a running game is always a hairy and risky affair, but in this particular case and with these two mods, I think it will work.  I would suggest making a backup before you do it just in case though.

23 hours ago, Guest Theogore said:

Because im confused now if its because of SCS, then i would just try to reinstall in correct order, or if it is because of a missing file in the mod, where i would have no clue what to do.

I think that editing itemupgrade/soa.tpa and itemupgrade/tob.tpa to change "/baf/" to /bcs/" on respectively lines 20 and 69 of these two files will fix this particular error.  (Do not change the .baf at the end of the path!)  Whether or not the mod will function as intended afterwards I can't guarantee as I haven't tested this (nor has anyone it seems).

@CamDawg appears to be the current custodian of ItemUpgrade, perhaps he can take a look.  I would do it myself, but I have a couple of other things on my plate right now.

Edited by Angel
Guest Theogore

Thanks @Angel. But i have to admit, i am no modder at all. While i love BG and play it since 20 years with sometimes different mods, i'm really not into modding. I only have a installation .exe that i install item upgrad mod into the BG folder. How could i make those changes you suggest?

Sorry, I'm a Linux user so I have only so much experience with .exe files, but I think it's actually a self-extracting rar archive that puts a folder called itemupgrade in your game folder.  The files should be in there somewhere.