Is there a way to scale up the UI?

rss3

Hey, I installed this on a clean EasyTutu installation, and I can get it to work just fine, but the UI is very tiny at 1920x1080p. Is there a way to get the UI scaled up without the enhanced edition?

If not, I'd be happy to install widescreen mod with a smaller resolution, but when I do that it doesn't stretch the window at all with 3D acceleration on. If I turn 3D acceleration off it stretches properly, but the entire game breaks (slow, choppy  loading, invisible cursor and animations ingame, lots of little issues). 

Would appreciate a solution to any of these issues if anyone has one.

Edited by rss3

I share your same concerns. In fact, I would be moving to GEMRB if they actually scaled the UI and I would bet most of the classic players would switch too. But currently, I do not see any advantage of using GEMRB on top of BGT, when I can just play BGT on 1024x768.

In that case, do you have any idea how I could get it to work on a lower resolution? The game doesn't stretch at all and effectively looks like windowed mode surrounded by black if I use a lower resolution with 3D Acceleration, and without 3D accel the game breaks completely. Do you have any idea what I could do to make it work? Ideally just making it stretch properly with 3D accel on.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:16 AM, rss3 said:

In that case, do you have any idea how I could get it to work on a lower resolution? The game doesn't stretch at all and effectively looks like windowed mode surrounded by black if I use a lower resolution with 3D Acceleration, and without 3D accel the game breaks completely. Do you have any idea what I could do to make it work? Ideally just making it stretch properly with 3D accel on.

IIRC, Nvidia cards have scaling options, but AMD cards don't or at least require some hackery to get it working.

B3tZkvD.png

Edited by Bartimaeus
imgur instead of dropbox
On 9/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, rss3 said:

Hmm no that doesn't seem to work either. Do other people just play with an incredibly tiny UI? Bit confused as to how anyone could enjoy the game in that state, unless everyone is just playing EE these days?

Original BG2 engine can stretch UI to x2 for resolution 1280x960 and higher (as i remember)

Widescreen mod uses 1024x768 as base for high custom resolutions

why 1024x768 ? i dont know, maybe because bioware didnt finish 1280x960 mode and higher (weird guiw12.chu/guiw16/...)

On 9/12/2021 at 10:16 AM, rss3 said:

If I turn 3D acceleration off it stretches properly, but the entire game breaks (slow, choppy  loading, invisible cursor and animations ingame, lots of little issues)

1) To eliminate some graphic bugs try disable triple buffering in display driver panel (nvidia/intel has this setting). All InfinityEngines not compatible with tripple buffering.

2) Try Mesa as replacement of vendor's OpenGL driver, Mesa is software implementation, but fast enough for BG2

3) Iin display driver panel change scaling method as Bartimaeus mentioned

Edited by Insomniator
2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

IIRC, Nvidia cards have scaling options, but AMD cards don't or at least require some hackery to get it working.

nvcplui_7D0LIHMog4.png

Can you show what happens to the ui without scaling and with scaling? Because i ve tried the options you show there and I had no gain - i use 1024x768 for this reason.

The issue is that in the ui I still get it centered and all around there is either

The black bars for bg1

and for bg2 no change at all

When using the normal 1024x768 resolution...

Aspect ratio scaling: I get black bars on the left and right, but it stays in the correct aspect ratio while upscaling to the full screen (the preferred behavior).

VM6qdSt.png

Full screen: No black bars, but it's the wrong aspect ratio and I might as well toss the game into the recycle bin because ain't nobody wanna look at that stretched and distorted mess.

9yndyf0.png

No scaling: Black bars all four sides and the screen is small because it stays at the original resolution of 1024x768.

ASiPfJR.png

When using with the Widescreen mod @ 1280x720 and using aspect ratio scaling, I get black bars on all sides for menus, but the actual in-game is full-screen and has no black bars on any sides - it is simply (and correctly) upscaled...like so:

O64jZRS.png

Edited by Bartimaeus
imgur instead of dropbox
On 9/14/2021 at 10:59 AM, Guest Morgoth said:

Thank you Bartimaeus.

1 hour ago, rss3 said:

Hey, ticking that nvidia override fixed it. The game stretches properly now at 1280x720 which is much more reasonable. Thanks!

Yep, glad you guys got it sorted. Guess I should go back and upload these images to a real image host instead of my dropbox (which I clear out every so often) just in case anybody else finds them useful in the future...

Edited by Bartimaeus