Questions to Gavin BGII scripting [split from BG2: Problems and bug reports]

Machiavélique

I think there is a problem in the b!player1.d

Even today, I am not sure what is supposed to be done when you select @8 or @9.

The dialogue box will never start if the ring is not in the PC inventory when the file is read.Looking at the code, the script is on player1 and the ring will always end up in the PC inventory in any case.

So what confuses me is "what is the meaning of ~ActionOverride(Player1,TakePartyItem("B!PCRING"))~" here ?

The ActionOverride() is useless here because the script is already bound to the player1 and the TakePartyItem() doesn't change anything either.
I thought for a long time that Berelinde had meant to destroy the ring and that the @13 "You put the ring away and return to what you were doing." had more the meaning of "You throw the ring away and return to what you were doing."

Now I think Berelinde rather wanted to put the ring away in the chest where it was found. What is your idea about it ?

Otherwise how can we explain this "ActionOverride(Player1,TakePartyItem("B!PCRING"))" on p6? If Berelinde had wanted to store the ring in the PC inventory, why is this code not also present at @10, @11, @12?

There are an other problem : What's happen if Jaheira takes the ring and keep it in her inventory ? And then the player meet Gavin, and after that the player put the ring in his inventory to start the b!player1 dialogue ?
I think it would be better to force the dialog as soon as someone takes the ring, but in this case it will be necessary to add some sentences

Capture.png

Edited by Machiavélique
31 minutes ago, Machiavélique said:

The dialogue box will never start if the ring is not in the PC inventory when the file is read.Looking at the code, the script is on player1 and the ring will always end up in the PC inventory in any case.

That is true. I think this is an oversight from my part. I meant to open up the dialogue to cases where the ring was collected by an NPC instead of the PC, but it seems I forgot to change the trigger for the actual dialogue initiation. Will be fixed in the next version.

32 minutes ago, Machiavélique said:

Now I think Berelinde rather wanted to put the ring away in the chest where it was found. What is your idea about it ?

No. The ring is not meant to be removed from the inventory. The dialgue was meant to play if an NPC picked up the ring, too, so if the PC/player identifies it as her engagement ring, it is suppoed to be in the PC's inventory after the dialogue, that is all.

33 minutes ago, Machiavélique said:

Otherwise how can we explain this "ActionOverride(Player1,TakePartyItem("B!PCRING"))" on p6? If Berelinde had wanted to store the ring in the PC inventory, why is this code not also present at @10, @11, @12?

Because those options do not make it the PC's engagement ring, so it's just a ring that can be sold later.

35 minutes ago, Machiavélique said:

There are an other problem : What's happen if Jaheira takes the ring and keep it in her inventory ? And then the player meet Gavin, and after that the player put the ring in his inventory to start the b!player1 dialogue ?
I think it would be better to force the dialog as soon as someone takes the ring, but in this case it will be necessary to add some sentences

This will be fixed with what I wrote above. The dialogue should trigger as soon as the ring is picked up by someone inside the party. This dialogue is meant to trigger inside Irenicus' Dungeon.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, jastey said:

No. The ring is not meant to be removed from the inventory. The dialgue was meant to play if an NPC picked up the ring, too, so if the PC/player identifies it as her engagement ring, it is suppoed to be in the PC's inventory after the dialogue, that is all.

If the dialogue was supposed to happen if an NPC picked up the ring, it makes sense and I understand my misunderstanding a bit better although but it doesn't explain why this action is only on p6. That's why I was confuse. 😕

On b!talk.d, we can go to the bf1.10 label if the player knew Gavin on BG1 or didn't know Gavin on BG1 (depending on the player's reponse at b!gav.d)

In my mind the @69 text shouldn't be displayed if the  player didn't know Gavin in BG1.

@69   = ~I probably have you to thank for my life. If you had not been so thorough in getting rid of the hobgoblins in the Cloud Peaks, the crows would have been picking over whatever the hobgoblins hadn't eaten.~

If you add the condition "!Global("B!GavNoBG1", "GLOBAL",1)" to display @69, I don't think it will cause any problem.

In my mind, the sentences @69-@73 follow each other as well as @68-@73

Capture.png

So I propose to replace by this :

Capture1.png

Edited by Machiavélique
correction proposal

In b!talks.d there is a problem at t1eb10.1b1

Here the situation is PC engaged with B!GavRA set to 1. If the pc answers @330, Gavin answers something very strange about Lanie and the relationship then ends in bad terms (impossible to restart the romance)

Capture4.png

It seems it's just a typo here. @330 should to go to t1eb10.1b2 instead of t1eb10.0b2. (mainly cause t1eb10.1b2 is not used at all, but it's strange cause "B!GavRA" will be set to 2 and "B!GavSerious" will be set to 3 whereas PC seems to be still a little angry with him when she chooses @330)

Capture5.png

In b!talks.s there is a problem at t3.3x1 @456

Capture8.png

Problem is there are no conditions for the choice @456. And if we look what happen at t3.3x5 :

Capture9.png

Only 2 choices :

t3.a is ok for everyone

t3.3x3 is only ok for female PC not engaged with a B!GavRa set on 1 or 4

I don't think it would be a good idea to add conditions in t3.3x5 @ 497 cause there would be only one choice left. I think it's better to add conditions t3.3x1 :

Capture10.png

I saw other problems in the b!talks.d but I will post them later

It's ok, take all the time you need

In B!talks.d at t3.6 @506 the actions :

~SetGlobal("B!GavRA","GLOBAL",3)
            SetGlobal("B!GavRomBreak","GLOBAL",1)
            IncrementGlobal("B!GavLove","GLOBAL",-1)~

should happen for a BGavRA set on 1, 2 or 4 instead of 0 or 3 (it should be exactly as for the @504 choice).

If the PC is a not eligible with Gavin for a romance (wrong characteristic, wrong kit, male...), by selecting @506 PC get directly a romance termined with the possibilité to restart it (cause "B!GavRomBreak" is only set to 1)

Capture11.png

I propose to just switch conditions and actions for B!GavRA 0 ; 3 and B!GavRA 1 ; 2 ; 4

Capture13.png

Edited by Machiavélique

in b!talks.d :

the t3.t15n shoud go to t3.t15o before to go to t3.t16

Capture3.png

If we'are looking  t3.t15b

Capture5.png

t3.t15d and t3.t15n is only for a PC not eligible for romance

t3.t15d is for when the PC says his/her blood comes from a goddess.

t3.t15n is for when the PC says his/her blood comes from a god.

t3.t15d go to t3.t15o then t3.t16

but t3.t15n go directly to t3.t16

but dialog in t3.t15o (@588) is important to explain  player choices in t3.t16.

Th'at's why I just propose to do this :

Capture.png

Edited by Machiavélique

btalks.d :

t3.doforyou

Capture.png

I think choices @668 and @673 don't seem appropriate for a PC Male 

@668  = ~You could take my share of chores tonight.~ (In fact the problem in @668 is the Gavin's reponse : @678  = ~Your wish is my command. You will not have to do a thing.~)

@673  = ~Take me away from all this.~

I found it sounds a little strange

It's possible for a PC Male to go to t3.doforyou by this way :

t3.t16 -> t3.m2a -> t3.doforyou (everyone can go to t3.t16)

I think it's just an oversight and therefore a male PC is not supposed to arrive at t3.doforyou  (t3.cheer is built in the same way than t3.doforyou. As t3.t16 is only focus on BGavRA, it might be possible there is an oversight about BGaVRA set on 0 include the possibility PC is a Male). But I can't to be sure of that. Maybe the oversight is on t3.m2a or on t3.doforyou

That's why it's maybe better to put modifications directly in t3.doforyou

Capture2.png

b!talks.tra :

Capture1.png

Here the name is misspelled, the correct name is Corellon Larethian

Same for :

@544  = ~Depends on the god, I guess. If I carried the blood of Liira, goddess of dancing, maybe I wouldn't end up in a heap quite so often. But one of the others... Bhaal, for instance... no I wouldn't want that.~ // Correct name is Lliira

@733  = ~Clanggedin Silverbeard, the dwarven god of battle.~ // Correct name is Clangeddin Silverbeard

@742  = ~Flandar Steelskin, the gnomish Master of Metal.~ // Correct name is Flandal Steelskin

@747  = ~Avoreen, the halfling god of defense.~ // Correct name  is Arvoreen

@789  = ~Hoar, god of just retrubution.~ // retribution

@2651 = ~(gulp) <CHARNAME>, I'm afriad you might have the wrong idea about me.~ // afraid

@2696 = ~ I think you finding me in that temple happened for a reason. Maybe...~ // There is a space at the beginning of the sentence

(Due to my English level I can't report all mistakes, only the most basic ones)

Edited by Machiavélique
others words misspelled