G3 Welcomes the Enemy Randomizer Mod

Using the EET Spawn Point Randomizer -> With SoD creatures (Makes BG1 slightly tougher) component gave me an ARRAY_CR creature an an option on High Hedge spawn point #3 which I suspect crashed my game once already.

Also, I really don't mind the difficulty spike provided, nor the variation,. just that some of the monsters really look out of place in these combinations.

image.png.4146b08c17fb22fbde0970c71d62cbe6.png

Edited by Graion Dilach
5 hours ago, GuardianAnubite said:

I was thinking of adding an option to the set creature randomizer to have it replace creatures with anything instead of something similar power-wise...

This is what would interest me. A randomizer mod's already going to be lore-breaking, might as well go all the way with it. If something's too tough, you can run or sneak past it. Thanks for this mod, btw.

6 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

You also rely on a HELLJL01.CRE (this actually gets mentioned in your mod so could confirm) which you consider an EET monster but this one is also missing from my game.

That one's a typo, should be HELLIL. I have all the changes made to fix what you've found, so if you want to reinstall with the 1.0.2 release, that should fix those issues.

Edited by GuardianAnubite
1 hour ago, Dan_P said:

This is what would interest me. A randomizer mod's already going to be lore-breaking, might as well go all the way with it. If something's too tough, you can run or sneak past it. Thanks for this mod, btw.

Thanks for the interest! I'll see about adding that extra mode soon, it'll be a little bit of work so probably not before Christmas, but could probably get to it in the next week or two.

47 minutes ago, Endarire said:

On a similar note, I appreciate your maintaining the mod!

I would like the option to rerandomize what creatures are in what spots either at install time or when starting a new game, just like the Item Randomizer.

Thankee!

Like I've said before, that's something I'll look at later but not soon. Right now, things can be re-randomized just by re-running the installer, so there's a lot of things I want to add before I add a convenience thing like a script that runs each new game.

19 hours ago, Dan_P said:

So I put that in and have been testing it, and I feel like it would make for... interesting games. I included Irenicus's dungeon and the start of BG2 was mostly giant trolls, rakshasa, and greater basilisks to start things off. I'm pretty sure in the area files, I saw a dragon in Cloakwood Mines in BG1 (no idea how that would work). 

I've just noticed that this also affects mod-added areas... how does it recognizes which mod-added area belongs to BG1 and BG2 in EET?

On 12/21/2021 at 10:25 PM, Dan_P said:

A randomizer mod's already going to be lore-breaking, might as well go all the way with it.

Not necessarily. Variation can be introduced without breaking immersion much while still keeping tougher creatures around. Wild animals are mostly appropriate to many terrains (SoD added tougher bears than the BG1 ones), goblins and orcs lack representation in BG1, snakes can be freely added to forests, mephits to dungeons, trolls have variants too...

It is also possible to introduce some overleveled variants of the humanoid monsters IMO as part of the randomizer if it's measured as a problem that it can run out of challenge rating by ToB. Or actually introducing teams (spawning an invisible dummy creature, which then spawns a group of others, like Made in Heaven small spider or SCS kobold group generation).

Edited by Graion Dilach
6 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

I've just noticed that this also affects mod-added areas... how does it recognizes which mod-added area belongs to BG1 and BG2 in EET?

It currently doesn't, the EET version uses a combined monster list from BG1 + BG2, but the tier system for the Set Creature component and the game's built-in logic for Rest/Spawn encounters should prevent too many cases of really impossible encounters showing up. Although now that I've typed it out, maybe I should make two lists for the Rest/Spawn components for EET and have them separate for BG1 and BG2.

If EET sets all of the BG1 maps to be BG###.ARE, that's pretty easy to do. As for other mod-added areas, I don't think anything would break since there'd generally be no valid set creatures on my lists unless they re-used random hostile creatures for fodder. Though I suppose the Rest/Spawn components could potentially cause problems, but that seems unlikely. But if the mod area names don't follow the pattern of AR### or BG###, I could filter those out too.

Edited by GuardianAnubite