Please check my install list (2.6 EET)

On 3/24/2022 at 3:10 PM, Trouveur80 said:

Well, it.s only 3 rounds to wait... ^^

We all like some cheese from time to time, of course 😆

Personally I find exploiting the system a little unsatisfying at times, so if for any reason that's the only thing I can do, it tends to disappoint a little bit.

28 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

We all like some cheese from time to time, of course 😆

Personally I find exploiting the system a little unsatisfying at times, so if for any reason that's the only thing I can do, it tends to disappoint a little bit.

I don't think using summons for occupying a mage for three rounds is cheese.

1 hour ago, Trouveur80 said:

I don't think using summons for occupying a mage for three rounds is cheese.

Depends on the situation, but I was talking more about triggering a fight and then running away, which is what I had to do in the Karhk encounter. This is obviously just my opinion.

There's a small issue with Ascalon's questpack in this install. Tagging @jastey as I understand she's the current maintainer.

The great Karlini: Ygnatius is not showing up in BG2700.are(Lion's way). I did the quest as normal:

Spoiler

Talked to him inside FAI, found the book, talked again and got the appropriate dialogue, he disappears, but he is not in Lion's way when I go there.

The relevant code in BG2700.bcs seems fine:

Spoiler

IF
    Global("AC_QUEST_spawn_ACQ17001","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("AC_QUEST_spawn_ACQ17001","GLOBAL",2)
        CreateCreature("ACQ17001",[2470.1537],S)  // Ygnatz - Ygnatius Bombastus
        ActionOverride("ACQ17001",SetNumTimesTalkedTo(2))

and the global "AC_QUEST_spawn_ACQ17001" was correctly set to 1. I just don't understand this enough to see what might have gone wrong. I was able to complete the quest by tiping those same lines in the console. Everything plays nicely from there.

Now that I think about it, I'll mention another small thing from the quest 'lost son': the quest itself actually plays perfectly, and the journal entry is closed too, but right after that I was left with a copy of Perwell permanently following my party whenever I went, until he met his demise by a sword spider. I say 'copy' because the animation of him walking away with his mom at end of the quest works. Maybe the code to avoid getting him lost inside Cloakwood on the way back was strenghtened a bit too much? 😆 It's a super small thing anyway.

1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

but right after that I was left with a copy of Perwell permanently following my party whenever I went, until he met his demise by a sword spider.

Wut? hahaha - it was BG1 with all the Doppelgangers, right?... I'll look into it.

Thanks for the reports!

For Ygnatius: the variable was at 1 and stayed at 1 while you were in teh correct area? Maybe another script block was looping in teh area script and the script to spawn him was never executed. Do you still have a savegame? You could install the Stutter Debug Tool and see whether a script block is looping.

There is no other thing I could think of that would prevent that script block from running if teh variable is at 1 as it should.

If it's already at 2 and Ygnatius is not there, try resetting it to 1 to see whether he spawns now.

Could Perwell be an Iron Throne assassin in disguise? The plot thickens!

1 hour ago, jastey said:

For Ygnatius: the variable was at 1 and stayed at 1 while you were in teh correct area?

It was 1 every time I checked. Loaded a save in the area, ckecked again right now, still 1.

Trying the stutter debug tool (I think. I don't exactly know what's relevant, I'll just try to describe what I see): there are six random spawn blocks running once every round. For example:

Spoiler

IF
    RandomNum(3,1)
    GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",3)
    GlobalLT("RandomSpawn","GLOBAL",5)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        CreateCreature("KOBOLA_C",[849.169],S)  // Kobold
        DisplayStringHead(Myself,511309)  // Running block 11 of BG2700.BCS
        CreateCreature("KOBOLA_B",[849.169],S)  // Kobold
        CreateCreature("KOBOLD02",[849.169],S)  // Kobold
        CreateCreature("KOBOLD11",[849.169],S)  // Kobold
        CreateCreature("KOBOLD02",[849.169],S)  // Kobold
        CreateCreature("KOBAMP01",[849.169],S)  // Kobold Amplifier - Kobold Scribe
        CreateCreature("KOBCAP01",[849.169],S)  // Kobold Captain
        CreateCreature("KOBCOMM",[849.169],S)  // Kobold Commando
        CreateCreature("KOBCAP01",[849.169],S)  // Kobold Captain
        IncrementGlobal("RandomSpawn","GLOBAL",1)

And then two blocks that run every second. Those that remove Xzar and Montaron after chapter 2 if you never take them:

Spoiler

IF
    GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",2)
    Exists("Montaron")  // Montaron
    !InParty("Montaron")  // Montaron
    !BeenInParty("Montaron")  // Montaron
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        ActionOverride("Montaron",DestroySelf())
        DisplayStringHead(Myself,511302)  // Running block 4 of BG2700.BCS
        Continue()

Could this be what you mean by looping?

@Gwaihir The first one should stop after 5 times (when the variable is increased to what the trigger is checking). And the second one has a Continue() at the end so it shouldn't block the script although it is looping. If the block for Xzar has also a Continue() I'm not convinced these script bloacks are the culprit. Which version of the mad are you playing? And you are on EET?

Oh - I just checked and the script block for Xzar does NOT have a Continue(). LOL.

OK, the only solution I can suggest is that in Near Infinity you cut the script block for Xzar:

IF
	GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",2)
	Exists("Xzar")  // Xzar - No such index
	!InParty("Xzar")  // Xzar - No such index
	!BeenInParty("Xzar")  // Xzar - No such index
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		ActionOverride("Xzar",DestroySelf())
END

And paste it at the very end of the BG2700.bcs and recompile the script. It will still loop, but it won't block other blocks. Or you add a Continue() at the end of that block.

17 minutes ago, jastey said:

Or you add a Continue() at the end of that block.

This worked. Ygnatius appeared immediately. Also makes me wonder if every block should have a continue() at the end, and how many other blocks are blocked. Paranoia is an undispellable debuff.

If the block has a check variable that closes immediatly, it won't loop. This one has none, plus "Exists()" gives always true for joinable NPCs (they exist globally in the game, even if not necessarily in the area), that's why it loops.

but yes, "this didn't happen as it should" bug could always be caused by the relevant script block doesn't get executed because another script block is looping. I would only know of one more that at least looped in Bg1/BGT: Alora's activation and deactivation in teh Hall of Wonders.

Just in case a new modder reads this and decides to patch area scripts with EXTEND_TOP from now on: only ever do that with script blocks that do have a Continue() at the end, or they'll block the OnCreation() triggers.

@Lava there are a few typos in the quest 'the Dungeon of the Carnal challenges':

immagine.png.2e89c603462193836e066f8f45bf5719.png

- journal: in the quest title and the first entry is spelled 'challanges';

- floating text when examining the clothes: 'intiguing' lacks an R;

- floating text over the wooden stocks: 'uknown' should be 'unknown'

And lastly: can I ask for a hint? I searched every nook and cranny of the dungeon, but I'm completely stuck 😆

Hmmm, must have been a problem when I witch to direct use of UTF-8 :)

There are couple of info regions in the Dungeon, you need to find all of them AND click on them to see the text. I'm not looking at it right now, but I think there were chains on the walls, the table, 2 info regions in the wardrobe, pump with a bucket, pillory... I think there was an item you need to find there. Then, go to the quest giver and finally, you will need to find a woman the quest giver is going to mention - she's on the same area as the entrance to the Dungeon :)

@Lava dang,

Spoiler

the nook in the table is so sneaky! Wasn't finding it even while spamming tab, so pretty good job there. I knew it was Syja!

Found a couple more typos:

Spoiler

Dialogue with Syja:

- 'Challanges' again

- 'you know the place, it's easy to get the hurt', I think the second 'the' shouldn't be there.

- 'I destroyed my marrige', should be marriage

Second journal entry:

- the courtesan name is spelled 'Siya' while everywhere else it's 'Syja'

- again 'Challanges' spelled with an a.

The quest is cool, but I couldn't help thinking:

Spoiler

In the dialogue with Syja, the player can ask her about the various places in the dungeon in a 'chained dialogue' style, which feels a little bit railroaded. Given the nature of the quest, I feel like it would be better to let the player choose from a list, like many other quests do. I guess it's more complex to code it this way; anyway, it's one of those things you can do if you really have the time 😆

Yeah, I know this dialogue could probably be better, I was trying different approaches to things in different SotSC quests, maybe one day... but for now I feel it's going to stay that way, because I just find it hard to add new stuff like replies in responses in something that's been already translated to 4+ languages, I know 5th is on the way...

Anyway, will remember about these typos! I'll include them along with the new translation when it's ready... unless I'll find out about some other bugs that need to be fixed right away :)