Once Per Day Items

Items that grant daily uses (like Scarab of Goodwill, Jasper's Ring of Shocking Grasp, and Jester's Bag of Holding) don't seem to actually recharge daily as their descriptions suggest they should.  Instead they appear to require the party to rest (and not even necessarily for a full day) with the item equipped or in their inventory in order to regain charges.

Edited by sirnicklaus
Added another example item to the list.
2 hours ago, sirnicklaus said:

I see.  Is there a way to prompt the engine to take similar action when the party travels?

No. It is possible to actually recharge the characters spell abilities per set time, but item ones can't be(in the old BG2 engine and in any of the new the new EE engines). So the thing to "fix" this would be to reform the item description, but that usually not easy or even possible, as there are item mods that use the same flawed des...

How do I know the spells can be made to recharge ... I edited a mod that allowed that. It's an old and it could have been done better.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

No. It is possible to actually recharge the characters spell abilities per set time, but item ones can't be(in the old BG2 engine and in any of the new the new EE engines). So the thing to "fix" this would be to reform the item description, but that usually not easy or even possible, as there are item mods that use the same flawed des...

How do I know the spells can be made to recharge ... I edited a mod that allowed that. It's an old and it could have been done better.

And what if one is playing the original Icewind Dale (non-enhanced edition)?  I was just interested in having the daily use items recharge their uses when traveling so that resting was not necessary.

47 minutes ago, sirnicklaus said:

And what if one is playing the original Icewind Dale (non-enhanced edition)? 

The engine doesn't have the effect neccesary to do that, in non-EE IWD. There's possibly other ways to fix this. For example, you could cut the travel distances by 8 hours, and ... but there's no such mod to do that easily, that I know of.

Also the above mentioned mod, doesn't actually make the resting not neccessary, it just cuts the corner a bit. As the games fatigue mechanism is still there, and to gain higher amounts of spells from level ups, you still need to rest at least ones. As you cannot gain restoration of spell you have not used.