Sample Boo-Haer'Dalis Banter

Bhaalspawn is not a tiefling. A tiefling is part demonic blood (not half, as Kish noted earlier, quoting the proper name for 50% demon (cambion, iirc), or (I think) fey'ri if it is half-elf/half-demon). Bhaal also is not a demon either; I think he was an evil-aligned human before dei-fication. So a Bhaalspawn is a demigod, and it appears that s/he inherited his/hers mothers full racial 'profile' except for quicker than normal aging (human, as the father) - which, interestingly enough is a bit reminiscent of Kay's Fionavarian demigods (whatever term he is using, I don't remeber off hand), though they age quicker than humans.

The way your character look is entirely up to a player and some player portraits in BG are far from being pretty.

Haer'Dalis portrait looks like a stock Moon Elf, to be honest, and it would have been nice if it was more sinister to correspond to his biography, which quotes that he has a strange, otherwordly air about him, having to compensate for it with an easy-going attitude and charm. Alas, in the game he *looks* cute, but not really charming in his conversations with most of the NPCs.

And I am not laughing at you, just trying to convey that it is not necessary to ignore the percieved flaws with the character for it to remain fascinating and interesting. When you do that, you make them artificially too 'nice', and in the end, boring. Like Legolas in LoTR movie: drool material - Oh, yes; but interesting? Hardly.

For me, Haer'Dalis is a member of a rather unpleasent Faction of Doomguards, the one for short-term relationships that flash out as easily as they start, a rather suspiciopus breed, a chaotic-neutral guy I need to watch carefully so he does not do something stupid, and is also pretencious. On another hand he is one hell of a fighter, a (hypothetically) talented actor, and from a strange and unusual setting.

Aren't demigods - aasimars? Anyways, a nice word. ;)

Aye, he is fascinating, but it has nothing common with "unusual" ugliness, so it is not needed at all. Master JPS mentioned that too, and he is a wise man. Sarevok had Father's eyes, but it wasn't nasty or anything. And Haer'Dalis could as well inherit his father's full racial 'profile', right? He is not a cambion after all. And yes, he *is* charming, whatever he does or says it's just you don't see it. :p Doomguards are not all that unpleasant - after all he'd chosen them. And he is inpredictable, so what? A part of his charm only. :p

No, aasimars are not demi-gods, they are

... "planetouched"; that is, they are mortal creatures that have in their blood some otherworldly characteristics. Aasimar are descended from devas, angels and other creatures of pure good alignment; although their celestial ancestor may be many generations removed, their presence still lingers. Aasimar are predisposed to Good alignments, but they are by no means always good.

The evil-alignment-derived counterparts to aasimar are called tieflings.

Uhm, at best the Doomguards are the guys who like watching things as they come to a destruction without taking actions and thinking it beautiful; at worst they think that their mission is to destroy without cause. This is hardly attractive position, at least for me.

A charm of a person is in his actions and words; from the initial description I was thinking that Haer'Dalis would be like one of Kay's favorite jolly, witty but bloody brilliant male archetypes (Diarmud, Bernard), but he does not rise to that level unfortunately.

As for appearances, I think Sarevok is dog-ugly; and I'd prefer Haer'Dalis to look strange, as a tiefling should according the racial description. Even such a superficial thing would have made him more of a tiefling than he currently is.

Uhm, at best the Doomguards are the guys who like watching things as they come to a destruction without taking actions and thinking it beautiful; at worst they think that their mission is to destroy without cause. This is hardly attractive position, at least for me.

Uh, you don't find it beautiful? Strange...

A charm of a person is in his actions and words; from the initial description I was thinking that Haer'Dalis would be like one of Kay's favorite jolly, witty but bloody brilliant male archetypes (Diarmud, Bernard), but he does not rise to that level unfortunately.

Unfortunately for whom? T'is only yer IMHO, after all, to where he rises or not. And this guy Bernard - you mean that fat barkeep from the Coronet?

As for appearances, I think Sarevok is dog-ugly; and I'd prefer Haer'Dalis to look strange, as a tiefling should according the racial description. Even such a superficial thing would have made him more of a tiefling than he currently is.

And I think Bro is okay. You prefer Haer'Dalis to look... or not to look, but he himself is just not like that and nothing can be done with him if not kill him and put Annah or Valen instead. They are ugly just as needed.

And this guy Bernard - you mean that fat barkeep from the Coronet?

Ah, I meant Bertraine (tired, huh) from Kay's Song for Arbonne. But he has a slew of male characters that are of a similar cust. Rudel, in that very SoA, even Blaise himself to a point. Tigana does not have one, strangely.

Archived