Skills and Abilities Mod

I can help you out: those "TG#" and "LI#" spells are from Refinements. This looks like it is from Refinements v4, which uses my HLA-table-patching functions to add and remove HLAs for each kit. BUT,

2 hours ago, Guest Connelly said:

I assume lud5_76.2da is created during installation and not copied from an existing file

Quite the opposite: Refinements starts with an existing HLA table, then removes some lines that need to be taken away, and then adds new ones. HLA tables don't need indexing, so you can see how Refinements adds lines with "1" in the first column. The remnants of the original table are visible in the numbered rows, with sequentially increasing index numbers from 9 to 24. Notably, it is the original table's rows - the the column header row - which lack the alignment column.

So it seems that Refinements is operating on the assumption that there is a column for alignment restriction. I just checked my current modded game, which has all the mods you mentioned, and every single HLA table I've looked at (there are about 300) has 10 columns. Somehow, your game only had 9 columns in that file when Refinements came to it. Here's what I would do to figure out why:

• Refinements starts with the base class and kit tables, so look at kitlist.2da and look at the kit numbered 76 (this how Refinements derives "LUD5_76.2da"). See what class that kit is - fighter, cleric, druid, etc.
  • Then look at the LUxx0.2da table for that class. (So if the 76th kit is a bard kit, look at LUBA0.2da.)
  • I'm guessing that file is missing the alignment restriction column. If so, do a change-log on this file. Then maybe you can find out which mod altered it to remove that column.

EDIT - okay this is weird. I just checked the unmodded game, and while the vanilla LUBA0.2da has 10 columns, LUBA1.2da, LUBA2.2da, etc. all only have 9 columns. And it's the same for every class: the "0" table has 10 columns, but the tables ostensibly for kits all only have 9. Now, I' pretty sure that in the vanilla game, most of those tables are not actually used. Most kits have the same HLAs as the base class, with  some exceptions like Swachbucklers... and lo and behold, the Swshbuckler HLA table actually has 10 columns. So this is a matter of broken cruft being left in the game files, and it looks like Refinements uses some of those tables.

This isn't super urgent - an HLA table with uneven column counts doesn't seem to cause problems in-game - but I'll take a look at it when I can.

Edited by subtledoctor
2 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I can help you out: those "TG#" and "LI#" spells are from Refinements. This looks like it is from Refinements v4, which uses my HLA-table-patching functions to add and remove HLAs for each kit. BUT,

Quite the opposite: Refinements starts with an existing HLA table, then removes some lines that need to be taken away, and then adds new ones. HLA tables don't need indexing, so you can see how Refinements adds lines with "1" in the first column. The remnants of the original table are visible in the numbered rows, with sequentially increasing index numbers from 9 to 24. Notably, it is the original table's rows - the the column header row - which lack the alignment column.

So it seems that Refinements is operating on the assumption that there is a column for alignment restriction. I just checked my current modded game, which has all the mods you mentioned, and every single HLA table I've looked at (there are about 300) has 10 columns. Somehow, your game only had 9 columns in that file when Refinements came to it. Here's what I would do to figure out why:

• Refinements starts with the base class and kit tables, so look at kitlist.2da and look at the kit numbered 76 (this how Refinements derives "LUD5_76.2da"). See what class that kit is - fighter, cleric, druid, etc.
  • Then look at the LUxx0.2da table for that class. (So if the 76th kit is a bard kit, look at LUBA0.2da.)
  • I'm guessing that file is missing the alignment restriction column. If so, do a change-log on this file. Then maybe you can find out which mod altered it to remove that column.

I'm looking at my base, unmodded game, and I am seeing a healthy mix of lu files with 9 columns and those with 10. Does Refinements always write 10 lines? If so, I'm guessing it wrote 10 lines to a 9 line file hence causing the issue.

29 minutes ago, morpheus562 said:

I'm looking at my base, unmodded game, and I am seeing a healthy mix of lu files with 9 columns and those with 10. Does Refinements always write 10 lines? If so, I'm guessing it wrote 10 lines to a 9 line file hence causing the issue.

See my edit above. Check a vanilla copy of LUABBR.2da - all of the HLA tables that are actually used by the game have 10 columns. So my HLA functions assume this is the way working HLA tables are supposed to be structured, and they write 10 columns to the added lines.

I could go and do checks each time and tailor the APPEND to match the number of rows in the existing table. And I could add more checks to make sure it uses a base table that has the proper number of columns (10). But TBH that will involve getting into some pretty deep plumbing in the mod, and I just don't know when I'll have time to get to it.

On your end, to avoid getting tripped up by this, where you presumably have a COUNT_2DA_COLS somewhere, you could instead just directly use 9 as the column count and everything should go smoothly. Or alternatively, just use my functions to modify the HLA tables, because clearly they don't care about the column count! :laugh:

Edited by subtledoctor
1 minute ago, subtledoctor said:

See my edit above. Check a vanilla copy of LUABBR.2da - all of the HLA tables that are actually used by the game have 10 columns. So my HLA functions assume this is the way working HLA tables are supposed to be structured, and they write 10 columns to the added lines.

I could go and do checks each time and tailor the APPEND to match the number of rows in the existing table. And I could add more checks to make sure it uses a base table that has the proper number of columns (10). But TBH that will involve getting into some pretty deep plumbing in the mod, and I just don't know when I'll have time to get to it.

On your end, to avoid getting tripped up by this, where you presumably have a COUNT_2DA_COLS somewhere, you could instead just directly use 9 as the column count and everything should go smoothly. Or alternatively, just use my functions to modify the HLA tables, because clearly they don't care about the column count! :laugh:

@CamDawgMaybe this should be a back end update for the EE Fixpack where all lu files are updated to 10 columns?

Guest Connelly
4 hours ago, morpheus562 said:

You can look up the luabbr.2da and see which kit is referencing that lua file. That may be the easiest way to quickly find the source.

2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Here's what I would do to figure out why:

Yup, found it: SC#VDrd, Hubelpot's Village Druid kit. Furthest I got was to the village_druid_kit.tpa file, but the most that I can see that's related to HLAs, and not even how exactly, is this bit:

~0x08000000    11~    // Autorisation d'objets - items usability : 0x08000000 = TOTEMIC_DRUID
// HIGH LEVEL ABILITIES ABBREVIATION: this is the name of the LUxxxx.2DA file, needed for HLAs and appended to LUABBR.2DA.
// LUABBR.2DA
~Dr2~                                                                                        // Habiletés de Haut niveau. - 

Still huh, I wasn't expecting anything like that but I'm glad I could bring attention to such a (minor) issue I guess? :_D

So that mod uses LUDR2.2da, which is not used by the vanilla game and is missing a column, only has 9. Then Refinements encounters it and adds some rows with 10 columns. Then Skills & Abilities does a COUNT_2DA_COLS which returns 10 cols, but when it does something like “SET_2DA_ENTRY row col cols” it chokes because there are only half as many rows with cols columns as there are rows overall. A normal 2da file is a rectangle, every row has the same number of columns. 

So in the intermediate term, it’s worth trying to preserve that rectangle shape when mods alter 2da tables. But in the short term, my suggestion is that S&A not assume other mods will do a great job preserving that rectangle. (Especially where the base game files are inconsistent.) I’ve gone through my mods and especially when dealing with e.g. kitlist.2da, I removed a ton of COUNT_2DA_COLS and instead now run operations based on 9 columns or 1 column, whatever is required by the particular operation. And the change has made the mods more robust.

I account if it's 9 columns and if it's 10 columns. I just run into hickups when it has both 9 and 10 columns which should never happen. I'll take a look and update on my end because things like these do happen that I really need to be able to account for some oddball inputs. Otherwise, should be easy for the fixpack to get everything consistent.

Official pre-release for version 1.0-Beta which brings the following enhancements:

• Added Swiftblade, Spell Penetration, Concentration, and Thrown Weapon Style proficiencies.
  • Corrected pip assignment for characters with single weapon style.
  • Corrected pip assignment for rangers and two weapon style.
  • Adjusted pip assignment for Level 0 NPC Type Mods.
  • Corrected check for Spears that was erroneously pointing to Flails.
  • Changed Fighter Overhaul to just provide all Fighters and Fighter kits with the Second Wind Ability and Indomitable passive ability.
  • New Fighter HLAs are added to the HLA Component instead of being part of the Fighter Overhaul.
  • Resist Magic HLA now increments Magic Resist by +40% instead of setting it. Duration is increased.
  • Warcry HLA now provides immunities similar to a Berserker Rage.
  • Two-Weapon Style updated to include damage penalties.
  • Removed Kits. Those are now being included in my standalone kitpack.
  • Add HLAs to IWDEE.
  • Added Scroll Crafting abilities.

I'm getting an odd error when trying to install the scroll crafting component on a fresh install:

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [%current.spl] not found in KEY file:
        [./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Scroll Crafting -> Add Spell Scroll Crafting: 3e pnp], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 886 files for [SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES/SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.TP2] component 202.
Uninstalled    886 files for [SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES/SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.TP2] component 202.
ERROR: Failure("resource [%current.spl] not found for 'COPY'")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.DEBUG and look for support at: Grammarsalad and morpheus562
Using Language [English]

WeiDU.log

Two-handed attacks receive one and a half times the Strength damage bonus, rounded down.

Unfortunately percentile warrior strength has no whatsoever effect, same +1 bonus with 18/01 and 18/00. Greenskins on the other hand with their 19 strength... This component should be called "Orcish supremacy".  :viking: