Skills and Abilities Mod

2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Personally not a fan of things that have a ~1% chance of happening, in general. (Unless it's for a Wild Mage, I guess.)

Also neither here nor there but I can totally see how to make Enoll Eva's Duplication work without resorting to EEex...

Out of curiosity, would having a 3 second duration (cast every round) Improved Alacricity effectively behave like halving the delay between casting spells? I figure in some cases it will work instantly and others it will have the delay be 3 seconds.

On 2/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, morpheus562 said:

Out of curiosity, would having a 3 second duration (cast every round) Improved Alacricity effectively behave like halving the delay between casting spells? I figure in some cases it will work instantly and others it will have the delay be 3 seconds.

Short answer, no.

I worked out a way to do something like that a long time ago. Idea was to make the spell’s actual casting time more of a factor than the six-second round. Start off with minimum 6 seconds between (for fast spells) to ~8-9 seconds between (for slow spells), and then as you level up/take feats/whatever, get faster so that fast spells could be cast every ~4 seconds and slow spells every ~6 seconds. Cool thing was that it would let you boost your spellcasting skill in two different ways: casting spells faster by reducing casting speed, and casting spells slightly more often by reducing the delay between them. Problem was, it would be infuriatingly difficult to adjust enemy spellcasting scripts to mimic the timing. I like players being able to cast every 4 seconds, but then why can't the other most powerful spellcasters in the world, like Irenicus, Kangaxx, Melisan, etc? So I never implemented the player version and now I don’t really remember the specifics. 

But my psionics mod allows using powers without waiting 6 seconds, you can look at the implementation there for an example. A stumbling block is, you cannot just cleanse the aura with duration 0 or 1; I think you need to keep the alacrity active for the full 6-second gap between spells. Of course that means that for spells with quick casting times, you can cast 6 or 8 in those 6 seconds. So I think you need to cancel the effect with a ‘casting feature’ effect attached to every spell. 

So you could do something like, set every spell to apply alacrity on a 3-second delay, and gated by a 318 effect blocking it unless you have a certain spellstate. And cancel the alacrity effect whenever you cast the next spell. Then you can just apply the spellstate in whatever context. Something like that… it’s very finicky. But the psionics mod has a working version, if you need a reference. 

Edited by subtledoctor

Official pre-release for version 0.2.2-Alpha which brings the following enhancements:

• Updated how tra files are managed.
  • Critical Striker Proficiency was missing from all kits. This has been corrected.
  • Corrected bug from Archery Weapon Style.
  • Nerfed Epic Toughness HLA to grant a max of +100HP (5 ability points max) instead of +200HP (10 ability points max).

Thanks a lot for adding the translations.

If it's not a problem for you, it would be cool to move the readmes to the main folder.
I think players don't look in the languages folders...(but I might be wrong)
No hurry, if you agree, it can wait the next updates.

Edited by JohnBob

So, I'm personally not happy with the 5th pip option for Spellcraft and Devotion. Currently thinking of other ideas to make it worthwhile for a player and open to suggestions or feedback. I'm also starting to look at adding a few more different proficiencies, and open to suggestions on what people would like to see.

Timers make it weird, so it could be instant or 3 seconds before you can fire off your next spell. I'm playing around with a couple ideas to replace it (one being add an aura that grants bonus to ac, thac0, and damage to all allies within the effect).

For Spellcraft, I'd like to have a way to maximize spell, but I am not sure how to go about implementing that. Another idea is to make the character resistant to level 3 (or any other number) spells or below.

I spent some time going through Spellcraft and Devotion and am overall happier with how they are coming around:

SPELLCRAFT:  This proficiency grants additional abilities and benefits to arcane spellcasters. All abilities are cumulative.

• Courteous Magocracy (1 slot): Character gains a +10 bonus to Lore.
  • Silent Spell (2 slots): The character gains permanent Vocalize.
  • Practiced Spellcaster (3 slots): Caster level is increased by 1.
  • Arcane Defense (4 slots): Character gains +10% Magic Resistance and a +2 bonus to save vs. spells.
  • Quicken Spell (5 slots): The character decreases spellcasting time by 2.

DEVOTION:  This proficiency grants additional abilities and benefits to all divine spellcasters. All abilities are cumulative.

• Pious (1 slot): The character gains +1 bonus to saving throws.
  • Divine Agent (2 slots): The character becomes immune to hold and paralysis.
  • Divine Channeling (3 slots): The character decreases spellcasting time by 1.
  • Divine Intervention (4 slots): The character becomes immune to death magic and vorpal strikes.
  • Blessing of the Faithful (5 slots): The character grants a +1 bonus to Thac0, +1 bonus to AC, and +1 bonus to all saving throws for the character and all allies within 15 feet.

Are there other new proficiencies people would like to see added? How about HLAs?

I'm toying around with adding the following as well as increasing the frequency all classes gain proficiencies:

CONDITIONING:  This proficiency epitomizes pushing ones body harder, faster, and further. All abilities are cumulative.

• Fortitude (1 slot): The character gains a +2 bonus to save vs. Paralysis / Poison / Death
  • Dash (2 slots): The character is able to move 10% faster.
  • Blind-Fight (3 slots): The character maintains the ability to fight well, and becomes immune to becoming blinded.
  • Tireless (4 slots): The character does not become fatigued to include after using rage or frenzy.
  • Armor Skin (5 slots): The character's natural armor bonus to Armor Class increases by 2.

I appreciate the feedback and perspectives from all of you as I fine tune it!

Edited by morpheus562

Official pre-release for version 0.4-Alpha which brings the following enhancements:

• Corrected typo with Paladin Smite HLA.
  • Replaced 5 pip bonus for Devotion from Pneuma to Blessing of the Faithful.
  • Updated Spellcraft proficiency by removing Spellcasting Prodigy and creating new 1 pip option (Courteous Magocracy).

> Tireless (4 slots): The character does not become fatigued to include after using rage or frenzy.

Does this have any use for non-barbarian, non-berserker characters, except giving access to the 5 slots version ? Most of the time the ranks give some bonus by themselves, that doesn't seem to be the case there.

Courteous magocracy seems a bit tame. I thought about giving a bonus to spell learning, that would work , but would not be useful for sorcerers

EDIT: well, 10 points lore is actually not that tame.

Edited by mickabouille