Latest changes

Avenger

Any new format would require

1. defining the format

2. providing at least one reference tool to edit/convert it

3. implementing in gemrb

Right now, i'm quite busy with defining (researching) existing IE formats, writing dltcep and gemrb for them :)

DevSin's help is really appreciated, some of his findings already made their way into gemrb.

Guest Guest
<cut>

Everytime I say something You (almost) always recognize complaining...

png or whatever of less weight...

what kind of help you would expect from me? I don't know any programing language and even can't handle to setup and run gem (miss something or understand in guide)... Currently (for almost a year now) I'm working on recreating few cities from FR - rendering a screen 800x600 takes me almost week, when I wanted to make some animation conversions from NwN to BG2 no one helped me to setup the rendering options to make it useful (look at wyrmlair) and so on, so don't say I do nothing, I'm doing what I can, I hope...

animations are increased? You say about gem or "bestial animations"? If so the second, don't say it is useful anyhow at the moment...

if you are not going to implement 3D&D rules what is then this emulator for?

I meant 3rd ed rules won't be hardcoded. The engine should be able to work with 2nd and 3rd rules, and any combination between.

And this should be written in a way that an average modder could modify the engine so it will do what they want, without recompiling the source.

There are practical and legal reasons for doing this.

There are also quite simple reasons why the engine development slowed down, Sourceforge is changing its CVS infrastructure and i also welcome this break in their services so i can do something else.

How you can help: well, IF you really want to help, check out IESDP and fix bugs there, like DevSin did.

When i wrote about animations, i meant GemRB definitely, i don't talk about anything else. GemRB is already capable of using ANY animations (even large dragon anims) from PST, BG or IWD even combine ALL of them in a single game, you'll probably need some work with conflicting animation numbers, but this can be worked out by simply editing a text file and fixing the creatures.

Btw. it seems i forgot to announce: large animations work, actually they work since march or april :)

Guest Aurelinus
The engine should be able to work with 2nd and 3rd rules, and any combination between.

How you can help: well, IF you really want to help, check out IESDP and fix bugs there, like DevSin did.

GemRB is already capable of using ANY animations (even large dragon anims) from PST, BG or IWD even combine ALL of them in a single game,

1. Nice to hear

2. Can I have the link for IESDP?

3. That's what I thought, however.

BTW: Didn't you think of cooperation of gem with the games together, I mean You have an instalation of the particular game and with gem you can add the stuff, it can save MB when the mechanic comes from gem and areas can be read from original game... unless it can be possible to loose weight on TIS files by using something smaller instead...

ERm, it seems it would be simple enough to put in a standard jpg/bmp/gif/png reader component, which leaves you with the same sort of bitmap in memory at the end, from what I understand. More difficult would be MOS and TIS; I'd have to look at your code to see how you handle tiles images->screen.

BTW, GIF is proprietary, JPEG is open implementation. If you use a rendering enginesolution, you let them worry about licensing. Look at the Mozilla Firefox code base, I think.

Well, this thread wasn't updated officially for a long time.

GemRB V0.2.8 (2006-12-24):

New features:

- equipment is rendered both on paperdoll and avatar

- weather (snow/rain) is now rendered

Improved features:

- action menus

- game scripting (actions/triggers)

GemRB V0.2.7 (2006-08-30):

New features:

- large animations

- worldmap travel

- dialogue portraits

- translucent shadows option

- personal space of actors

- combat

- many new effects

- overlay animation

Improved features:

- Script fixes

- Action menus

- TextScreen

- doors

- animated overlays

- new actions

I'm currently working on shops (fixing the already implemented, but never tested parts).

Yesterday, i was actually able to sell an item in bg1 :p

Wjp is working on the palette manipulation opcodes, he said he already implemented 0x34.

(pulsating color effects will be the next).

[edit] He implemented all of the bg2 rgb effects. One for IWD is remaining, but it is very simple, based on the existing ones.

Archived