Mod Conflicts and/or Bugs

Just to preface I'm running a megamod setup of BGT having used an out of date BWS and added some custom mods after so these issues may be entirely of my own making but I couldn't find anything similar so I thought I'd ask (maybe there's a known issue that I couldn't find):

• The rest button on the left side of the screen does not appear to exist
  • The menus can be dragged in directions they aren't supposed to go (it's like it becomes unstuck at the scroll bar and can go left and right with all the icons following it)
  • Spells didn't appear to complete correctly (lacking icons, spellcasting animation on loop but the effects seemed to work)
  • I didn't appear to take damage in combat despite seeing multiple hits land according to the feedback
  • I saw my character go over the max hp a number of times
  • The paperdoll was being a bit weird (s/m/c didn't show one in character generation, in game it didn't show the dagger equipped in the inventory screen but did for the animated sprite was fine)

1. Rest button: I know some of the original gui files are missing it, but we make sure to add it when needed. It's been a while though, so it might have been fixed after 0.9.0. You can press R to rest.

2. Please provide a concrete example.

3. What do icons have to do with it? Other than that, a spell example would be helpful, in the console you will even see the filename. None of the problems are expected.

4. You mean the text logging we do? Ignore that, only the ingame messages count.

5. This is something we fixed after 0.9.0.

6. Sounds like a mod bug, since I wrote those with just the basic features.

I'm using 0.9.0, I guess I'll have a look for updates, for number 2 I've taken a screenshot, basically holding down the left mouse button anywhere on any scrollable menu will scroll left and right as well as up or down taking menu elements with it. For number 4 I did mean the in game messages (I have the in game feedback up to maximum)

Edited by reallyhairydave

I can't reproduce that, but it was a problem at one point between 0.8.8 and 0.9.0. Perhaps another thing that got fixed later, as it's been almost a year since the last release. You could try the development builds, but since they're not yet in release quality, you might just be trading some bugs for others. Up to you.

4 could truly be a bug then. Is it something you can reliably reproduce?

Also, since I imagine you have a similar mod loadout, can you check if halfling paperdolls work fine with helmets for you? I suspect it's a problem with some mod-added item not shipping a good bam:

https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb/issues/1533

I may just try a dev build, see if it resolves those issues

As for both the other things I've started a new character level 1 cleric halfling with no armour except a helmet I've attached the combat log for the first assassin fight and the paperdoll

Is there a way to increase the file size total btw? I had to remove the previous image to fit these in

Bug.png

Bug2.png

Edited by reallyhairydave

Thanks, that was enough for me to reproduce and fix the helmet issue.

Combat: besides the critical I see only misses there, why do you expect damage? The thac0 business makes this feedback strings pretty hard to reason about.

Images: I guess you could throw them on imgur or some other simple hosting.

With the combat as an unarmoured cleric with no active spells I'd expect the first assassin to hit more often than miss (just by experience) but the combat log showing a roll of 16 missing cements it. The AC would have been dex only so say 6, I know thac0 is annoying to calculate but if you ignore it and work as if it's later edition calculations you'd know a 16 'should' hit an unarmoured target. A previous combat log showed them score a critical hit and miss too but I didn't screenshot it

He has a thac0 of 20, no proficiencies (a +2 penalty — I know in iwd2 only non-pcs are penalized, but perhaps it's true in other games as well), no extra strength. So a 16 missing someone with ac 5 (as in the screenshot) is in line with our code, since it's only 21, while you need a 23.

And I can't believe a claim of a missed critical hit.

On 3/14/2022 at 6:02 AM, reallyhairydave said:

I know thac0 is annoying to calculate but

It's really not. To-hit roll plus attack modifiers plus target's AC >= thac0 means hit.

In this case, as Lynx mentioned, 16 - 2 + 5 = 19. The attacker's thac0 is 20; 19 < 20 means a swing and a miss.

Thac0 is simply the target roll that you want to reach or exceed with your d20 to-hit roll. The target's AC is a modifier to that roll. In 3E they changed this around: the target's AC is what you roll to reach, and your "attack bonus" is a modifier to the roll. In 2E you know what number you are rolling to reach - you know your own capabilities, the thac0 value is on your character sheet - but only the DM knows the target's AC, so target AC is a secret modifier to your attack roll. In 3E only the DM knows the target AC, so the number you are rolling to beat is secret; but all of the attack modifiers are known to you.

The difference between 2E and 3E is just switching around one modifier with the number you are rolling to beat. It's the exact same calculation, just with two items switched around the 'equals' sign.

Edited by subtledoctor