New spells

I've tried a few. They work well, matching the description. Most have pretty, unique animations. A little bit on the OP side. The biggest issue, arguably, is that enemies won't use them. So you have a set of cool tools to play with for fun, but not integrated into a system, therefore not really part of any strategy. 

On 3/16/2022 at 9:05 PM, Gwaihir said:

I've tried a few. They work well, matching the description. Most have pretty, unique animations. A little bit on the OP side. The biggest issue, arguably, is that enemies won't use them. So you have a set of cool tools to play with for fun, but not integrated into a system, therefore not really part of any strategy. 

Which enemies would you suggest use which spells?  I could add them to their scripts.

On 3/20/2022 at 6:51 PM, Daeros_Trollkiller said:

Which enemies would you suggest use which spells?

Hmm, I dont't have specific Npcs in mind. In my current playthrough I'm not really thinking about who could cast what. Ent summoning looks cool, definitely an evil druid spell (add a copule of those attacking Trademeet?); kodezza's caustic shell it's basically fire shield (green), so I dont see why many mages shouldn't use it; slime golem is another good addiction to any conjurer's arsenal.

It probably would make sense to add most of the arcane spells randomly to some enemy mages/sorcerers, and divine spells to clerics/druids, and have them be picked up by SCS. Maybe keep the most powerful (cataclysm, kodezza's frozen death) exclusive to the player, but only available as quest rewards. 

That said, I fully agree with those that say spells should have their own separate component.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:41 PM, Gwaihir said:

Hmm, I dont't have specific Npcs in mind. In my current playthrough I'm not really thinking about who could cast what. Ent summoning looks cool, definitely an evil druid spell (add a copule of those attacking Trademeet?); kodezza's caustic shell it's basically fire shield (green), so I dont see why many mages shouldn't use it; slime golem is another good addiction to any conjurer's arsenal.

It probably would make sense to add most of the arcane spells randomly to some enemy mages/sorcerers, and divine spells to clerics/druids, and have them be picked up by SCS. Maybe keep the most powerful (cataclysm, kodezza's frozen death) exclusive to the player, but only available as quest rewards. 

That said, I fully agree with those that say spells should have their own separate component.

Thank you for the input, and I can certainly see about peppering in the new spells around for NPC use.

I will consider making both the new spells and item upgrades into separate, optional component.  I have no plans to make the new spells themselves a separate component, as many of the upgraded items have effects from those spells and it wouldn't really make sense to reference a non-existing spell.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:05 PM, Gwaihir said:

Curious as to which spells you consider to be OP and in which ways?  Some tuning my be in order.  And I really appreciate the compliment on the animations, that's precisely the response I was hoping for when putting them together.

I am currently making a new mod - a new Kit for the Ranger which will have some awesome, unique new abilities, and animations to go along with them.

Just reading at descriptions, the numbers seems a little bit high, at least when compared to other vanilla spells. For example thunder thrust has a base 12d8 damage + 1d8 per caster level, as a 6th lv spell this means.. 19d8 as soon as you can cast 6th lv spells? and it caps at 21d8? Imho it seems a bit much. Not too much, however. Maybe it needs better scaling.

The new fireball spells seem very powerful.. not only high damage, but additional effects; crushing earth does a lot of damage; cataclysm as a lv 8 arcane spell seems better than earthquake, a priest HLA. Also, I think ent summoning needs better scaling, the three versions are only 1 HD apart, doesn't seem a lot of difference. Maybe add on-hit entangle or knock down chance to stronger ents?

As for references in item descriptions, I don't think there's the need for the spells to exist in-game, for a description to make sense. It's just text, you can narrate the effects appropriately regardless if the player has the spells available or not. Imho, giving the players options is always the better choice.