[Bug report] EE content bugs

jmerry

From what I get, Running Attacks was deliberately left out. I don't agree with Beamdog decision, but that's it.

For people asking about the integration of the PST Fixpack: we contacted Qwinn in the early development stages of PST:EE and obtained permission to use it. During development, the fixpack has undergone a thorough review by the PST:EE team and Chris Avellone was consulted whenever there was uncertainty. As a result, all objective bugfixes have been integrated into PST:EE.

Note that some of the more subjective fixpack changes have been deliberately left out for PST:EE because they contradicted the original (Black Isle) developer intent. This is not Qwinn's fault, as he didn't have access to the original PST design documents (which we do) nor to the PST source code (which we also have) so he had no way of knowing. As an example, PST:EE leaves out the fixpack change that gave enemies the ability to run towards the player while engaged in combat. The original design documents and the source code both confirm that enemies were deliberately prevented from running in that situation.

Maybe it could be considered as a tweak in Tweak Anthology?

Another "broken" script (is it a bug? a leftover of a discarded option by choice? An unfinished business?) in original PST was a conversation to pop up on a failed attmempt to Pickpocket Eli Havelock (Thief trainer). 
I need to verify if It's fixed (or not) in PSTEE,  but I have a hunch it isn't.

Edited by Frenzgyn
54 minutes ago, hook71 said:

I know that the PST fixpack adds Running Attacks for many creatures and I vaguely remember that this wasn't added to the EE version since it wasn't seen as a bugfix.

1. AI Fix: Selected creatures in game will now move as quickly as they can (i.e. run) when attacking or being attacked. This raises their minimum intelligence to that of vertebrates. No more casually walking through Baator with 20 ravening demons behind you unable to catch up. This mostly affects creatures only in the later stages of the game. (Qwinn)

Did you check with or without the fixpack? It's a good change so I would certainly like it implemented but perhaps it isn't a bug as such. Any Running Attacks missing from the original PST without the fixpack is most certainly a bug though and should be fixed.

I have compared it mostly with the fixpacked PST. The unmodded game was very conservative in their approach regarding running creatures. In my opinion this feature makes combat much more interesting.

However, I can understand the reservations by Beamdog to a degree. It's certainly arguable what type of creatures should be able to run. For example, zombies and the larval worms in Undersigil are not necessarily made for running. The same can be said about lemures and nupperibos. But creatures such as abishais, glabrezus, or those creatures in the outlands (Grillig?) should certainly be able to run.

Another aspect to consider is that in PSTEE you can overlook a much wider area on the screen than in PST with their fixed 640x480 screen resolution. Combat doesn't get as messy as in the original game.

I have already tested these changes locally in my current game and can only say that it makes a huge difference. Combat is now much more intense and immersive.

Edited by argent77

I've made a list of all creature scripts which are supposed to use RunningAttack, according to the fixpacked PST. Entries in green are also performing a running attack in unmodded PST.

Some scripts are shared by multiple creature types which makes it difficult to decide whether all or none of the creatures should be able to run.

Spoiler

0000bxd2.bcs (Fiend from Moridor's Box)
0000hgrd.bcs (Harmonium Officer)
0000hsrg.bcs (Harmonium Sergeant)
0103gard.bcs (Collector)

0209skel.bcs (unused?)
0209skld.bcs (Skeleton Worker)
0402tegr.bcs (Tegar'in - Abishai)
0403blnd.bcs (Tiresias - Blind Thug)
0403drnk.bcs (unused?)
0403gang.bcs (Starved Dog Veteran)
0403gdul.bcs (Painted Thug)
0403ggng.bcs (Starved Dog Barking Thug)
0403gngb.bcs (Starved Dog Barking Thug)
0403hivr.bcs (Sybil)
0403mage.bcs (Starved Dog Mage)
0403pain.bcs (Tiefling Painter)
0403prop.bcs (Starved Dog Barking Thug)
0403sent.bcs (Starved Dog Veteran)
0403thg1.bcs (unused?)
0403thg2.bcs (unused?)
0500fhgd.bcs (Harmonium Officer)
0500mhgd.bcs (Harmonium Officer)
0600hgrd.bcs (Harmonium Officer)
0600hsrg.bcs (Harmonium Officer)

0700atta.bcs (Curst Guard, Curst Thug)
0701atta.bcs (Curst Guard, Curst Thug, Guard Captain)
0701hgrd.bcs (Harmonium Officer)
0702cass.bcs (Cassius)
0702gar2.bcs (Curst Guard)
0702gar3.bcs (Curst Guard)
0702gard.bcs (Curst Guard, Trelon)
0702prsn.bcs (Curst Citizen)
0702town.bcs (some named Curst citizens)
0702tria.bcs (Trias)
0708abas.bcs (Red Abishai)
0708camp.bcs (unused?)
0708corn.bcs (Tek'elach - Cornugon)
0708ghri.bcs (Gehreleth)
0708lemu.bcs (Lemure)
0708nupp.bcs (Nupperibo)
0708tre0.bcs (Trelon)
0708tre1.bcs (Trelon)
0708tre2.bcs (Trelon)

0900avng.bcs (Curst Townsman)
0900ctkr.bcs (Dump Caretaker)
0900gnr1.bcs (Gehreleth, Trelon, Tuscampa)
0900gnr2.bcs (Gehreleth, Trelon, Tuscampa)
0900grdg.bcs (Curst Guard)
0900hrmt.bcs (Hermit)
0900hrs1.bcs (Sohmien)
0900hrs2.bcs (Sohmien)
0900hrs3.bcs (Sohmien)
0900jjog.bcs (Jujog - Curst Townsman)
0900loot.bcs (Looter)
0900mob.bcs (Crazy/Angry Curst Citizen)
0900slv0.bcs (Thokola Slaver)
0900tem1.bcs (unused?)
0900tem2.bcs (Curst Thug/Townsman/Citizen)
0900tem3.bcs (Curst Thug/Townsman/Citizen)
0900tem4.bcs (unused?)
0900tgrd.bcs (Thokola Guard)
0900thgb.bcs (Curst Thug)
0901geh6.bcs (Gehreleth)
0901gehr.bcs (Gehreleth)
0901grds.bcs (Curst Guard)
0901loot.bcs (Looter)
0902ana0.bcs (Anarchist)
0902ana1.bcs (Anarchist)
0902ana2.bcs (Anarchist)
0902ana5.bcs (Anarchist)
0902ana6.bcs (Anarchist)
0902ebbb.bcs (Ebb Creakknees)
0903thg.bcs (Buried Villager)
0904guy.bcs (Curst Citizen)
1000abd2.bcs (Green Abishai)
1000abid.bcs (Green Abishai)
1000corb.bcs (Black Abishai)
1000corc.bcs (Cornugon)
1000cut3.bcs (unused?)
1000fnds.bcs (Red/Green/Black Abishai, Cornugon, Lemure, Nupperibo)
1000lemd.bcs (Lemure)
1100anim.bcs (Tricha, Lim-Lim)
1100grg0.bcs (Grillig)
1100grg4.bcs (Grillig)
1100grk0.bcs (Gronk)
1101atta.bcs (Red Abishai, Cornugon, Lemure)
1101cut3.bcs (Fhjull Forked-Tongue)
1101cut4.bcs (Fhjull Forked-Tongue)
1101fhju.bcs (Fhjull Forked-Tongue)
1201sha2.bcs (Greater Shadow)
1201shad.bcs (Greater Shadow)
1202vhai.bcs (Vhailor)
1203inc.bcs (unused?)
1203inc1.bcs (Practical Incarnation)
1203inc2.bcs (Paranoid Incarnation)
1203inc3.bcs (Good Incarnation)
1300cons.bcs (Low/Medium/High Threat Construct)
1300hiwz.bcs (High Threat Construct)
2000cati.bcs (Tuscampa, Trelon, Grillig, Larval Worm, Greater Glabrezu)
3015grd1.bcs (Curst Guard)
3015grd2.bcs (Curst Guard)
3015sohm.bcs (Sohmien)
spin101.bcs (related to Morte's "Litany of Curses" ability)

Edited by argent77

PSTEE: CRE resources should have correct RACE.IDS values

BSOHMIEN.CRE (Sohmien):

Observed: 1=HUMAN
Expected: 59=SOHMIEN

HBDYGRD.CRE (Matter-Of-Course - Harmonium Officer):

Observed: 3=ABISHAI_BLACK
Expected: 1=HUMAN

LADY.CRE (Lady of Pain):

Expected: 38=LADY_OF_PAIN

TRIAS.CRE (Trias - Deva):

Expected: 14=DEVA

TRIASA.CRE (Trias - Deva):

TRIASB.CRE (Trias - Deva):

TRIASC.CRE (Trias - Deva):

WORM.CRE (Larval Worm):

Expected: 71=WORM

18 hours ago, hook71 said:

I know that the PST fixpack adds Running Attacks for many creatures and I vaguely remember that this wasn't added to the EE version since it wasn't seen as a bugfix.

Qwinn's fixpack applied the RunningAttack() action to a great number of combat scripts. However, it doesn't make sense to all of them. I propose to apply "running" only to selected creature types where it makes sense.

This is a list of affected creature types along with my suggestions of the preferred attack type - walking Attack() or RunningAttack(). Feedback is welcome.

Abishai: run
Construct (low/medium/high threat): walk
Cornugon: run
Gehreleth: run
Glabrezu: run
Grillig: run
Gronk: walk
Human: run
Larval Worm: walk
Lemure: walk
Lim-Lim: run (or walk?)
Nupperibo: walk
Shadow: walk
Skeleton: run
Sohmien: run
Thokola: walk
Trelon: run
Tricha: run
Tuscampa: walk
Zombie: walk

Edited by argent77

PST - Thiefs should be able to raise skills to 125 at level up

# Start a new game and end the conversation with Morte.
# Change TNO to a thief: C:Eval('SetNamelessClass(THIEF)')
# Give some XP: C:SetCurrentXP(1320000)
# Open TNO's character record and click Level Up.
# Try to raise one of the thief skills to 125.

*Observed*

You can only raise skills to 100.

*Expected*

You can raise skills to 125 as in the original PST.

PSTEE: Tattoo "The Number of Ku'u Yin" (KYNAME.ITM) should work as specified in the item description

Description of the Number of Ku'u Yin (strref 18263):

THE NUMBER OF KU'U YIN
Special: Protection from Chaotic creatures
Weight: 0
Not usable by Chaotic characters

This is a tattoo of a number, an intricate weaving of ink and flesh. It squirms when held, as if it sought out a host. It is the number of Ku'u Yin, a personal identifier that radiates Law. When applied, the tattoo works itself into the skin of its owner, protecting it against the depredations of strongly chaotic creatures. It cannot be used by someone of chaotic alignment.

Observed:
The item provides a generic +2 AC bonus as well as a +2 Save vs. Death bonus.

Expected:
The item should protect specifically from chaotic creatures.

2 hours ago, argent77 said:

Expected:
The item should protect specifically from chaotic creatures.

I think the protection should be something like a bonus to AC and/or saving throws vs. chaotic creatures (e.g. via opcode 219). Using opcode 100 to protect the wearer completely may break plot-related scripting in the worst case.

PST - Monster Jug in Vrischika's Curiosity Shop should cost 123 coppers when it is bought

# Start a new game and end the conversation with Morte.
# Move to the Curiosity Shop: C:MoveToArea("AR0609")
# Add some money: C:AddGold(500)
# Talk to Vrischika; select ( 3 > 4 > 2 > 4 )
# Note the Monster Jug's description: "it's only one hundred and twenty-three copper."
# Continue the dialogue with ( 1 )

*Observed*

100 coppers are lost.

*Expected*

123 coppers are lost.

*Notes*

DVRISCH.DLG, state 34. The PartyGoldGT(99) trigger needs to be changed as well.

On 4/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, jmerry said:

Copying one over from another thread: demon/devil recognition and Dorn's Abyssal Blade.

While we're on this, there's a minor thing that's always bothered me: in BG, Albert says he's taking Rufie back to the Nine Hells and then turns into a tanarri. Tutu got this correct, where he turns into a cornugon instead.

PSTEE: You should not get duplicate journal entries after talking to Fall-from-Grace about her race

If Grace is not a party member:
- Start a new game and end the conversation with Morte.
- Set a global: C:SetGlobal("Grace","GLOBAL",1)
- Spawn Grace: C:CreateCreature("Grace")
- Talk to Grace: select ( 1 > 2 > 3 ) - You get journal entry 27465.
- Spawn Annah nearby: C:CreateCreature("Annah")
- Talk to Grace again: select (1 > 2 > 3 ) - You get journal entry 27466.
- Open the journal.

If Grace is a party member:
- Set a global: C:SetGlobal("Grace","GLOBAL",1)
- Spawn Grace: C:CreateCreature("Grace")
- Press Ctrl+Q on Grace to force her into the party
- Talk to Grace: select ( 1 > 3 ) - You get journal entry 27465.
- Talk to Grace again: select ( 1 > 1 > 3 ) - You get journal entry 27466.
- Open the journal.

Observed:
You have two identical journal entries.

Expected:
You have one journal entry.

Notes:
DGRACE.DLG - Either journal entry 27465 or 27466 should be added to all responses in states 72 and 73 as well as in states 213 and 214.

Journal entry is:
Fall-from-Grace said she was a succubus, a "lesser tanar'ri," one of the fiends that roam the Lower Planes. Apparently, her race seeks out mortals and seduces them, taking their souls to the Abyss. Charming.

PSTEE: You should not get duplicate journal entries after talking to the Pillar of Skulls

- C:MoveToArea("AR1001")
- C:CreateItem("Cube")
- Move Morte out of sight of the Pillar of Skulls.
- Talk to the Pillar of Skulls: select ( 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 4 5) - you get 53491.
- Talk to the Pillar of Skulls again: select ( 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 4 5 ) - you get 53500.
- Open the journal.

Observed:
You have two identical journal entries.

Expected:
You have one journal entry.

Notes:
Journal entries contain different quotation marks for "Trias the Betrayer" (double quotes vs. single quotes).

DPILLAR.DLG - Either journal entry 53491 or 53500 should be defined in response 121 and 125.

Journal entry 53491:
The Pillar of Skulls told me that Trias - who it called "Trias the Betrayer" - would know where the portal to the Fortress of Regrets was.

Journal entry 53500:
The Pillar of Skulls told me that Trias - who it called 'Trias the Betrayer' - would know where the portal to the Fortress of Regrets was.

PSTEE:

I have found several more potential issues with duplicate journal entries. However, most of the dialogs can only trigger one of these entries without cheating, so I'm not certain whether they should be fixed in EEFP.

DCOAX.DLG:

Strref 26090:
As I left the siege tower for the Fortress, the golem asked that I help him break free of his prison and continue his entropic crusade across the planes. I said I would not. He has cast me from the siege tower, and I am never allowed to set foot in it again. It was a small price to pay so that the planes would not suffer.

Strref 26093:
As I left the siege tower for the Fortress, the golem asked that I help him break free of his prison and continue his entropic crusade across the planes. I said I would not. He has cast me from the siege tower, and I am never allowed to set foot in it again. It was a small price to pay so that the planes would not suffer.

DCOAX.DLG:

Strref 26091:
I surrendered the Modron Cube to the golem, then there was darkness. I don't know what happened, but the siege tower is still there. I have a strange feeling that I will never be able to enter it again. Yet he seems to have left me with a strange weapon...

Strref 26094:
I surrendered the Modron Cube to the golem, then there was darkness. I don't know what happened, but the siege tower is still there. I have a strange feeling that I will never be able to enter it again. Yet he seems to have left me with a strange weapon...

DMANYAS1.DLG:

Strref 38206:
I have told Many-as-One that the Silent King is too powerful for him to approach. The cranium rat hive-mind did not see falsehood in my words, but it forbade me from returning to the Warrens of Thought on pain of death. We'll see about that.

Strref 38870:
I have told Many-as-One that the Silent King is too powerful for him to approach. The cranium rat hive-mind did not see falsehood in my words, but it forbade me from returning to the Warrens of Thought on pain of death. We'll see about that.

DMANYAS1.DLG:

Strref 38871:
Many-as-One, the hive mind of the cranium rats, has asked me to kill the Silent King in the Dead Nations. I have agreed. I am to report back to Many-as-One when the deed is done.
Strref 38872:
Many-as-One, the hive mind of the cranium rats, has asked me to kill the Silent King in the Dead Nations. I have agreed. I am to report back to Many-as-One when the deed is done.
Strref 38873:
Strref 38874:
Strref 38970:
Strref 38977:

DMEBBETH.DLG:

Strref 23487:
Mebbeth wants me to fetch her wash from the cloth-seller in the market, a fellow named Giscorl. I wish she'd remembered it before I went looking for those herbs of hers...

Strref 23471:
Mebbeth wants me to fetch her wash from the cloth-seller in the market, a fellow named Giscorl. I wish she'd remembered it before I went looking for those herbs of hers...

PST - You should not get duplicate reply options while talking to Fall-from-Grace about the Blood War

- Set some globals:
C:SetGlobal("Grace","GLOBAL",1)
C:SetGlobal("Know_Blood_War","GLOBAL",1)
C:SetGlobal("Kimasxi","GLOBAL",1)
C:SetGlobal("Marissa","GLOBAL",1)
C:SetGlobal("Nenny","GLOBAL",1)
C:SetGlobal("SadJuli","GLOBAL",1)
C:SetGlobal("Vivian","GLOBAL",1)
C:SetGlobal("Yves","GLOBAL",1)
C:SetGlobal("Dolora","GLOBAL",1)
- Spawn Grace: C:CreateCreature("GRACE")
- Talk to Grace: select ( 1 > 5 > 1 > 1 )

Observed:
You have two identical reply options - "How long has it been going on?"

Expected:
Reply option 3 should be "Did you serve in it?" instead.

Notes:
DGRACE.DLG state 96. String 28454 is only used here and could be updated for all languages from many other strings including for example string 28448.

PST - Annah should not be able to equip Uhir's Knife

- Set a global: C:SetGlobal("Annah","GLOBAL",1)
- Spawn Annah: C:CreateCreature("ANNAH")
- Talk to Annah: select ( 1 > 1 > 1 ) to make her join the party.
- Spawn Uhir's Knife: C:CreateItem("UHRKNF")
- Try to equip Annah with Uhir's Knife.

Observed:
It is possible for Annah to equip Uhir's Knife.

Expected:
It is not possible for Annah to equip Uhir's Knife. She is unable to use other knives already.

Edited by hook71