[Bug report] EE content bugs

jmerry

I'm not sure if this is an oversight or intentional game design: The courtesans in the Saradush Tavern are regular humans. However, they behave like vampires in almost every respect (scripts, stats and items). They cannot be turned, nor do undead-specific weapons and spells work as expected.

Edited by argent77
11 hours ago, argent77 said:

I'm not sure if this is an oversight or intentional game design: The courtesans in the Saradush Tavern are regular humans. However, they behave like vampires in almost every respect (scripts, stats and items). They cannot be turned, nor do undead-specific weapons and spells work as expected.

As with the first pocket plane challenge, it's open to interpretation.

If you talk to them and let them lure your PC to the old prison they reveal themselves as vampires, the action used is ChangeAnimation("SARVAM03") for the female and ChangeAnimation("SARVAM02") for the male. IESDP doesn't mention this but unlike the Polymorph() action ChangeAnimation() resets everything about the creature including its IDS, so they'll be undead by the time you're fighting them.

Not "discoverable" as undead in the room you meet them, unless you talk to Peltje, they do detect as evil though.

14 hours ago, argent77 said:

The +1 swords maybe were intentional, but I don't think so. Otherwise, there would be a lot more items droppable (halberds, hammers, shields, etc.)

There are several other monsters that drop weapons they were using but not for example armor they wore. The crypt king (BHCRYPT) in Athkatla graveyard and the guardian statues - the humanoid ones anyway - on the first floor of Watcher's Keep (GORSTA__). It's arguably an in game trend with "unnatural" enemies and the phantasms in your pocket plane seem to qualify.

[BG2EE] One of the Frost Salamanders in Abazigal's Hideout (AR6005) is on impassable terrain

The Frost Salamander closest to the dungeon exit portal is placed on impassable terrain. As a result the creature cannot move and is therefore an easy target for the party.

Edit: The same bug exists already in oBG2.

Edited by argent77
On 9/9/2022 at 6:10 AM, argent77 said:

[BG2EE] One of the Frost Salamanders in Abazigal's Hideout (AR6005) is on impassable terrain

The Frost Salamander closest to the dungeon exit portal is placed on impassable terrain. As a result the creature cannot move and is therefore an easy target for the party.

I don't suppose there is a way to test for such cases programmatically?  I ran through a quick mental exercise and figured it would be more or less straightforward to cross-reference ARE based CREs against the search map, but things quickly became non-trivial if you include other blocking regions, script and DLG based summons, etc.  Maybe there is a way to leverage already existing architecture (such as NI's ARE Viewer) to minimize the additional effort required for such an endeavor?

On 9/14/2022 at 12:06 AM, Sam. said:
On 9/9/2022 at 1:10 PM, argent77 said:

I don't suppose there is a way to test for such cases programmatically?  I ran through a quick mental exercise and figured it would be more or less straightforward to cross-reference ARE based CREs against the search map, but things quickly became non-trivial if you include other blocking regions, script and DLG based summons, etc.  Maybe there is a way to leverage already existing architecture (such as NI's ARE Viewer) to minimize the additional effort required for such an endeavor?

Anything involving non-structured resources (such as bitmaps) are almost as difficult to code in NI as in WeiDU. Dynamically created creatures should be automatically placed on passable terrain, so the scope of the task is actually manageable.

I have created a WeiDU script for an automated scan (see attachment). It verifies the BG2 Frost Salamander issue posted above, and it found several more (but less severe) blocked creature instances.

Edit: Improved version filters out more false positives.

A7-CheckCreatureLocations-v2.zip

Edited by argent77

More potentially misplaced actors on maps (found by the script attached to my previous post above):

[PsTEE] Map AR0902: Anarchist (actor #5) at position [802.218] is on impassable terrain
Could be intentional. Scripting is not negatively affected by her position.

[SoD] Map BD0020: Noblewoman (actor #122) at position [1843.188] is placed outside of map range

[SoD] Map BD5000: Ogre (actor #7) at position [3953.2018] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map AR0305: Shadow Thief (actor #4) at position [398.527] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map AR2000: The gypsy Kveroslava (actor #88) at position [1060.3033] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map AR5202: Skeleton Cleric (actor #1) at position [878.882] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map OH5500: Crusader (actor #6) at position [1021.2607] is on impassable terrain
[BG2EE] Map OH5500: Celestial Hound (actor #21) at position [2552.2880] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map OH7100: Yi Niu (actor #21) at position [1412.888] is on impassable terrain
Could be a false positive. The creature is initially disabled, so I couldn't verify it in a quick test.

[PSTEE] Consistency issue with travel time from one Hive map to another.

Initially, you can move between areas with a travel time of 0 hours. Later, when travelling by worldmap is unlocked, travel time is 4 hours per transition. Is this something we should fix in EEFP?

Edit: Fixed here and here.

Edited by argent77
On 9/17/2022 at 12:26 PM, CamDawg said:

Chaos and Entropy are both described as restricted to tieflings, but only Entropy has a tiefling-targeted 319 to enforce it in BG2EE.

Both of them have entries in item_use.2da. They're actually Haer'Dalis only. Though having the tiefling-targeted 319 on both would make sense.

[PSTEE] Container items should have a correct number of charges

It shouldn't have consequences in the vanilla game. However, that will change when mods are installed which make items stackable.

Affected container items:
- Rusty Dagger (RUSTDAG.ITM): AR0108.ARE, container #0, item #3 (Quantity/Charges 1: 20)
- Silver Ring (SILRING.ITM): AR0701.ARE, container #2, item #0 (Quantity/Charges 1: 11865)
- Steak Knife (STEAKKNF.ITM): AR0704.ARE, container #8, item #2 (Quantity/Charges 1: 15)
- Copper Earring (COPEAR.ITM): AR1700.ARE, container #7, item #0 (Quantity/Charges 1: 14)
- Copper Earring (COPEAR.ITM): AR1700.ARE, container #8, item #0 (Quantity/Charges 1: 21)

Especially the second item in the list can be exploited to earn a practically unlimited amount of money.

Edit: Fixed here.

Edited by argent77
On 8/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, argent77 said:

[BG2EE] Hell Trials map (AR2900): Visual effect of closing the eyes of the tear door has black outlines and is misaligned

On 8/30/2022 at 5:16 AM, argent77 said:

[BG2EE] Hexxat quest: Visual effect on Graveyard map has black outlines

These are both fixed (commit, commit). For the former, I made one additional cosmetic tweak--the main door blocks line of sight to the topmost eye, so unless you place your party members in very specific locations crowding the door you'd never see the animation. Since there's nothing actually behind it, I've enabled LoS through the door to make the animation more visible.

On 8/31/2022 at 5:15 AM, argent77 said:

[BG2EE] First Pocket Plane challenge: Summoned creatures should not drop items

Some of the summoned creatures have items equipped that are not flagged as "undroppable". As a result they will drop lots of bows and swords. Some of the droppable items aren't even needed, since they only exist in inventory slots.

Affected creatures:
CHEVIL01.CRE: BOW05.ITM (inventory slot)
CHEVIL03.CRE: SW1H01.ITM (inventory slot)
CHGOOD04.CRE: SW1H05.ITM (equipped)
CHGOOD05.CRE: SW1H05.ITM (equipped)

chevil01 is definitely wrong, as this is a bug inherited from 1pp. Since kobolds don't have a shortbow animation, it moves the existing short bow to inventory (losing the undroppable flag in the process) and equips an undroppable dupe with a longbow animation. The same is true for chevil03's bastard sword (ogre mages only have a long sword animation) except that in this case the original bastard sword was droppable.

chevil01 needs a fix, and I'm inclined to make the rest undroppable as well. As polytope says, this isn't a farmable exploit, and getting a pile of +1 long swords and bastard swords in ToB is not moving the needle on anything. However, the overall consistency of undroppable flags on the other creatures in the series suggests this was an oversight.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:10 AM, argent77 said:

On 9/15/2022 at 8:54 AM, argent77 said:

[PsTEE] Map AR0902: Anarchist (actor #5) at position [802.218] is on impassable terrain
Could be intentional. Scripting is not negatively affected by her position.

[SoD] Map BD0020: Noblewoman (actor #122) at position [1843.188] is placed outside of map range

[SoD] Map BD5000: Ogre (actor #7) at position [3953.2018] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map AR0305: Shadow Thief (actor #4) at position [398.527] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map AR2000: The gypsy Kveroslava (actor #88) at position [1060.3033] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map AR5202: Skeleton Cleric (actor #1) at position [878.882] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map OH5500: Crusader (actor #6) at position [1021.2607] is on impassable terrain
[BG2EE] Map OH5500: Celestial Hound (actor #21) at position [2552.2880] is on impassable terrain

[BG2EE] Map OH7100: Yi Niu (actor #21) at position [1412.888] is on impassable terrain
Could be a false positive. The creature is initially disabled, so I couldn't verify it in a quick test.

Minus the oh7100 creature (which is disabled, and doesn't seem to get activated) these are all fixed.