[bug] Poison cures should forestall green slime chunking

CamDawg

Green slimes in both BGEE (Ye Olde Inn) and BG2EE (poison lab in Watcher's Keep) use JELLGR1 as their attack. On a failed save vs. poison at +4, the attack does a small amount of poison damage and then (this is the fun part) irreversibly kills the target with an exploding death after 10 seconds. Golems, undead, and targets with >= 100% poison damage resistance are immune outright.

Now, the neat thing is that you can get hit by the green slime, see the poison damage and icon, drink an antidote (or cast Neutralize Poison), think you're OK since both the poison damage and icon have gone away, and then explode anyway. Given that poison resistance stops the exploding to begin with, I think it's a logical step that curing yourself of poison via whatever means should also stop you from exploding. In practical terms, this means adding a 321 vs. jellgr1 alongside any opcode 11 occurrence.

Lore-wise, a Green Slime's attack should be considered a Disease, removed with Cure Disease, not Cure Poison.  I know there's a lot off overlap in-game between the two for immunity, but curing/removal has a sufficient distinction to use the correct one.

I wish someone would model in a torch, not just as a weapon (blunt 1d3 + 1d3 fire dmg), but a way to burn off things like slime/molds.  Maybe even a fear effect on susceptible CREs.  It's such a basic adventuring tool, my disappointment at its absence continues.

11 hours ago, kjeron said:

Lore-wise, a Green Slime's attack should be considered a Disease, removed with Cure Disease, not Cure Poison.  I know there's a lot off overlap in-game between the two for immunity, but curing/removal has a sufficient distinction to use the correct one.

I do agree.

That also means "jellgr1.itm" should use the Disease opcode (78) instead of the Poison opcode (25)...

Changing an instant-death attack from one that should be mitigated by common items (antidotes, elixirs) and a spell that's fairly common (and an innate for one of the joinable NPCs) to one that requires a spell that literally no one has memorized because there's no disease in BG is just a spectacularly horrible idea all around.

Guest Graion@Work

The obvious solution is to introduce more mobs/weapons which causes disease so that the player will have a reason to memorize Cure Disease!

...Just kidding. Although this could be part of a PnP-oriented mod.

For me, the starting point is that Green Slime already gives a load of visual feedback that its attack is a poison attack (as mentioned in the OP). I think that making an attack disease-based to bring it in line with D&D lore would be a lot more attractive if the devs hadn't already given the attack a different non-generic quality.

Also, I always thought that giving an uncurable instant-death attack to a 65xp monster was a spectacularly horrible idea on Bioware's part (and the fact that it doesn't appear until Chapter 5 doesn't change much). That doesn't automatically translate to dev error, but it does raise the suspicion in my mind.

So, I'm +1 for this change being a fix, and also +1 for it generally due to the improvement on the game design (in my opinion).

Yes, for clarification, I was talking about oBG. And while green slimes make an appearance in BG2, between their terrible thac0 (17) and the fact that your poison save is made at +4, the main problem with them is going to be in the BG portion of the saga--when disease is definitely Not A Thing.