EET playthrough with 200+ mods

Guest Graion@Work

@Austin since you're already receiving a fair amount of pings regarding this one - it would be nice if you could upload the mod to GH, because that would allow us to look into some of these issues and propose more compatible alternative implementations. I don't really like PMing fixes because sometimes the format issues make it hard to point out what needs to be updated.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, Quester said:

I'm trying out my install as listed in the initial post, and getting a bunch of warnings for component  [ToB-part for Shar-Teel or/and Yeslick, Garrick, Branwen, Skie, Eldoth] from BG1NPCSoA:

It is okay! These warnings simply inform you that you do not have Yeslick, Branwen, Skie and Eldoth components installed and therefore will not have content for them in the ToB component. 

Spoiler

The reason for these warnings is that there is still a common ToB component for the five NPCs. And if one of these five is not installed, then such a message appears about them, but the content for the rest (installed) NPCs is added. Sometime in the future, I plan to split this last common component into parts, but so far the option is simpler and also works well.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, Quester said:

edit: and further errors, with SmilingImpCrossBanterMod:

I didn't have this kind of error, but I'll check it later and try to reproduce it to understand the reason. Thank you for message!

Edited by Austin
23 hours ago, Guest Graion@Work said:

@Austin since you're already receiving a fair amount of pings regarding this one - it would be nice if you could upload the mod to GH, because that would allow us to look into some of these issues and propose more compatible alternative implementations. I don't really like PMing fixes because sometimes the format issues make it hard to point out what needs to be updated.

I would like to do this, but I still haven't figured out how to upload an entire mod folder to Github, and copying each file individually would be too long :(

Edited by Austin
17 minutes ago, Austin said:

It is okay! These warnings simply inform you that you do not have Yeslick, Branwen, Skie and Eldoth components installed and therefore will not have content for them in the ToB component.

I think warning should mean "this may not work, please be cautious with this install".

weidu actually returns an error code when a warning is emitted. I stumbled a bit on this. I have a program that automates mods and components installations that checks the return code of weidu invocations. And weidu returns a non-zero code when there is a warning.

That's a not the same  code as ERRORs, but if some WARNINGs point at potential issues when others are cosmetic, you end up having to whitelist mods to allow them to WARN. Thus potentially missing actual issues...

More install warnings in Monastic Orders and error in Artisan's Kitpack:

Spoiler

//Copying and patching 1 file ...
//WARNING: the arguments for thief-only 2DAs should only be provided for thief kits
//[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 617310 string entries
//INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     New Kits for Monks
//
//WARNING: MonasticOrders : 3 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode = 3
//WARNING: unpausing installation will continue from next component.

//Installing [Artisan's Kitpack: Way of the Assassin (Assassin Rework)] [2.1]
//loading 1 tra file
//Copying 1 file ...
//Copying 1 file ...
//Copying 1 file ...
//Appending to files ...
//Appending to files ...
//Appending to files ...
//Appending to files ...
//Appending to files ...
//ERROR: Cannot find 17 rows with at least 42 columns.
//ERROR: [backstab.2da] -> [override/backstab.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Cannot Set 2DA Entry"))
//Stopping installation because of error.
//ERROR Installing [Artisan's Kitpack: Way of the Assassin (Assassin Rework)], rolling back to previous state
//Will uninstall  67 files for [ArtisansKitpack\ArtisansKitpack.TP2] component 14.
//Uninstalled     67 files for [ArtisansKitpack\ArtisansKitpack.TP2] component 14.
//ERROR: Failure("Cannot Set 2DA Entry")
//Please make a backup of the file: Setup-ArtisansKitpack.debug and look for support at: Artemius_I
//Automatically Skipping [Artisan's Kitpack: Way of the Assassin (Assassin Rework)] because of error.
//[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 619710 string entries
//NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Artisan's Kitpack: Way of the Assassin (Assassin Rework)
//
//WARNING: ArtisansKitpack : 14 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode = 2

No biggie I guess, actually I don't even know how/if the assassin rework would be compatible with M&G anyway.

@subtledoctorIn your random_tweaks mod, two components had warnings:

Spoiler

//Installing [Make False Dawn Bypass Magic Resistance] [1.5.1]
//Creating 1 directory
//WARNING: no effects altered on sppr609.spl
//INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Make False Dawn Bypass Magic Resistance
//
//WARNING: d5_random_tweaks : 1609 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode = 3

//Installing [Make Sunray Bypass Magic Resistance] [1.5.1]
//Creating 1 directory
//WARNING: no effects altered on sppr707.spl
//INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS     Make Sunray Bypass Magic Resistance
//
//WARNING: d5_random_tweaks : 1707 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode = 3

All the others installed without issue. Any idea what's going on here? Mod order as in original post.

That’s fine. Those spells are patched looking for a certain condition; if the condition is not met then there is no need to alter anything, and it spits a warning saying “No Effects Altered.” In this case no effects should be altered, so it’s fine. Why does Weidu need to spit a warning for that? I don’t know. Why do mod installers freak out over such an inconsequential warning? I don’t know. But, in this case at least, it is likely not a cause for concern. 

I believe it is a good practice. Extra checks result in better code quality overall.

You can suppress the warning with silent option.

INT_VAR silent to whether the function should suppress warnings when no effects were altered. This option also suppresses the verbose option (default is 0).

Or explicitly check the spell beforehand for matching effects.

3 hours ago, Magus said:

I believe it is a good practice. Extra checks result in better code quality overall.

You can suppress the warning with silent option.

Yes I know, but 1) I had made several mods with hundreds of ALTER_EFFECT commands before I learned of the silent option and it was not easy to find and change them all. And even now sometimes I forget; after all the motivation to remember it is slim when adding it doesn’t actually change the way the code works. And 2) any benefit to the quality of code is lost if the warning is suppressed - which, after repeated complaints about warnings (and assuming I don’t forget), has become my standard practice. 

tl;dr: it is marginally useful information, but Weidu and/or PI and/or BWS present it in a way that it is mistaken for an actual install problem. It would be nice if it could be presented more as a “minor warning” so players wouldn’t freak out. (But this is not a serious complaint on my part... “it would be nice” is about the strongest statement I can make about it.)

I guess the fact that PI pauses the installation upon these "Installed with Warnings" components, prompting a manual input to continue with the install, will make players wonder if something actually went wrong. For me I am just glad that is not the case then.

Apparently I have installed the maximum of 256 kits (???), thus prompting Multiclass Cleric Kits to protest:

Spoiler

//Adding D5_CM_AZUTH Kit ...
//ERROR Installing [Multiclass Cleric kits (install AFTER all other kit mods!!)], rolling back to previous state
//Will uninstall 432 files for [fnp_multiclass\fnp_multiclass.tp2] component 95.
//Uninstalled    432 files for [fnp_multiclass\fnp_multiclass.tp2] component 95.
//ERROR: Failure("The game requires ToBEx or GemRB to support more than 256 kits.")
//Please make a backup of the file: Setup-fnp_multiclass.debug and look for support at: SubtleD and Grammarsalad
//Automatically Skipping [Multiclass Cleric kits (install AFTER all other kit mods!!)] because of error.
//Using Language [English]
//[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 622507 string entries
//NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Multiclass Cleric kits (install AFTER all other kit mods!!)
//
//WARNING: fnp_multiclass : 95 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode = 2
//[G:\games\ProjectInfinity\Tools\WeiDU\249.00\weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24900
//Using Language [English]
//Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk
//SKIPPING: [Apply FnP multiclass kits to NPCs]
//    skipping component
//INSTALLATION FINISHED.

Any advice on what to do/ if it is fixable? Or, advice on which kits I should delete from my install list (subjective reasons are fine)?

I mean, I don't necessarily want to bloat my character creation screen with an absurd amount of kits...but I guess that will be a consequence of mainly FnP no matter what.

On a related topic, I would prefer if the other kit packs I've included would play by the same rules as subtledoctor's kit mods (including feats and whatnot), but I guess that would be a ton of manual work.