Text errors and suggestions

hook71

String 59747: misses a dot atthe end.

Spoiler

The Siege of Dragonspear

I have some time to scout the crusader camp, but should leave soon to find a way inside Bridgefort.

I followed Corwin's advice and escaped the crusade's cage without alerting the camp. We now have a chance to explore the area unchallenged. How long that will last, I don't know

Not sure if these have been mentioned or already fixed, here or elsewhere. String numbers are taken from EE v2.6.6.

Priest of Tyr: Divine Favor caps at +6 to hit/damage at level 18 (even in IWDEE, where most things scale to 30). This isn't mentioned in descriptions. Strings:
BGEE: 56945 (ability), 32346 (kit), 56941 (unused)
BG2EE: 103015 (ability), 93786 (kit)
IWDEE: 40686 (ability), 40682 (kit), 37429 (unused)

Archer: Starting at level 18, progression slows to +1 hit/damage every 5 levels. Not mentioned in kit descriptions. Strings:
BG2EE: 25209
IWDEE: 37111, 25209 (unused)

IWDEE: Remove Magic still shows the BG info (with percentage chance), but it actually has 100% chance to dispel like the IWD version of Dispel Magic. (string: 35872)

BGEE games: Protection from Evil spells don't mention the +2 bonus to Saving Throws against evil. According this post, the Saving Throw bonus is implemented in the EEs. This was with an older version, but it'd be surprising if it was changed. Strings:

BGEE:
- cleric: 12148
- wizard: 26365
- paladin: 12201
- innate: 25814
- aoe: 25825

BG2EE:
- cleric: 103230
- wizard: 12148
- paladin: 103229
- innate: 12201
- aoe: 22832

[Edit: Note that this invitation has been withdrawn as of the date of this edit, but only after I reply to Salk's tag on page 3]

For lack of a better place to say this - if anyone wants an opinion on the interpretation of text for any thread on EEFP, feel free to tag me and I'll give one. Note that I use British English rather than American English; plainly the latter is used in Baldur's Gate, and I won't argue otherwise, although occasionally a nuanced difference between them will escape me.

Edited by The_Baffled_King
On 4/22/2022 at 3:07 AM, CamDawg said:

Whitespace review is done.

Sorry for not looking at tha zip- does this mean that extra spaces at teh end of strings are covered?

If not: #52797 /* ~Done what you came to do? ~ */ extra space at the end.

Beamdog used to keep an eye on their own thread for typos and text errors, but stopped doing so at some unspecified point. There are a number of issues reported in the thread that were never addressed, although it's hard to say exactly when they stopped fixing them. It might be worth checking the thread backward from the last post until you run into a report that's already been fixed.

1 hour ago, Andrea C. said:

[sod] If you side with the Sirine Queen on the werewolf island in TotSC, she will answer, "Well-spoken, land-dweller." I don't think "Well-spoken" should be hyphenated in this case.

[iwd] Maybe it’s just me but the grammar seems off in the first choice at the top of the Hand: 1.”We seek to learn source of the evil that troubles the North” into “We seek to learn the source of evil that troubles the North”

[iwd] we planed to lead as many of the orcs and goblins as we could into Sehanine.

Missing a "Tower" at the end of the sentence.

[pst]gems that serves as its eyes.
"serves" should be "serve" instead.

Fixed in the respective GTUs.

String 1763 in BGIIEE: This string plays NARR01.WAV, it should play NARR04.WAV but this file is missing.

Fixed, though it's pointless. The string is unused and narr04 doesn't exist anywhere.

In BG1EE 2.6.5.0, at least with Siege of Dragonspear installed, Wild Surge #9 is incorrectly labelled Explosion?, just like #10.

It is a mistake, #9 should be What was that? Over there!.

Fixed in the core component.

[bg2] The description for the Short Bow of Gesen has an extra comma that shouldn't be there (strref 60867)

[iwd] Be thankful that I am merciful man.
Missing an "a".

[iwd] that girl been bringing out the furies in me since she was born.
Missing a "has".

APERATURES WILL OPEN.

"APERATURES" doesn't seem to be a word.

The words he... you.. are about speak are true,
I think there should be a "to" after "about".

[pst]A conversation with Fall-from-Grace has duplicate reply options:
"How long has it been going on?"
"How long has it been going on?"

Already fixed.

Don't know if this has been reported yet, but the Amulet of Cheetah Speed's description says the Improved Haste effects lasts for 23 rounds. I believe it should be 3 rounds instead.

This is correct--the amulet casts Improved Haste at level 20, and IH's duration is 3 rouds + 1 round/level.

[pst]The Lady curse you!
"curse" should be "curses" instead.

[pst]Those few who somehow escaped she tormented in their dreams, riding them like steeds, breaking their wills and hurling their souls into the colorless oblivion of the Gray Waste...
A phrase seems to be missing at the beginning. Maybe it's "As for".

[pst]Their tiny heads filled with ideas of how the planes *should* be, yet can *never* be or the planes they would be no longer.
The "they" should be removed.

[pst] ALLOW IT EXPRESSION.
I believe there is a grammatical error here.

These are fine as-is.

When I talked to Tovus Giljaf for the first time, he said something about the my seeking of the deva, and that is illogical because I have never met him before.

Pinging @argent77 for a followup on this one.

Bookmarked for continuation; commit is here.

1 hour ago, CamDawg said:

When I talked to Tovus Giljaf for the first time, he said something about the my seeking of the deva, and that is illogical because I have never met him before.

Pinging @argent77 for a followup on this one.

Yes, there is a line in his dialog which doesn't really make sense at that point in the conversation.

When choosing dialog option "I can't say I think much of your town.", he replies with:

"I don't either... but it's mine, and to see it lost to that preening, self-righteous deva... it is more than I can bear." He coughs wetly. "Free me, and I shall aid you in your revenge on him. My guards can hold off the monsters for a time."

It is available right after asking for his name, so he shouldn't know about your intentions yet.

However, the whole conversation leads to the point where he offers you some help in your conflict with the deva, even though you never clearly tell him about your intentions. I think we can leave it unchanged and just assume that he knows (or suspects) why you returned to the city.

Btw, there is a typo in strref 57065:

You see an aging githzerai, trapped under the wheels of a wagon that must have fallen on it during the chaos. He spits a bloody wad, and grins up at you. "Not going to help me, are you? That's what brought us here in the first place..." He laughs weakly.

fallen on it -> fallen on him

56 minutes ago, argent77 said:

Btw, there is a typo in strref 57065:

Cheers, got it.

I've now worked back through the BD thread to here, checking everything listed so far and putting them into this commit.

[bg2] Perhaps I am paranoid, [Character Name]. ...
But I didn't choose the option which reveals my name, so [Saladrex] should not have known my name.

I'm going to punt on this one. Saladrex has three lines where he refers to Charname, but you only have one chance (the very first reply after his first greeting) to tell him your name. We'd either have to remove the three references, or track and branch a lot of dialogue. Saladrex isn't the first or last creature to namedrop you (or your party members) without a proper introduction, so I'm not too worried.

In Durlag's Tower the Journal entry after talking top-right Warden seems broken - "this is what he had to say:" - there is nothing after the : sign.

This is working for me, with and without SoD.