How do i install this in Ubuntu 5.04?

dond0n

Hi!

This is my first post on these forums. I love BG games and now that i´m mostly using Ubuntu as my primary operating system i want to play with that too :) .

So i´m having problems installing this gemrb program om Ubuntu 5.04. I downloaded most of the packages that it says on sourceforge cvs, but not all because i didn´t know which are correct ones. The files that are unclear to me are GNU make, ZLib, SDL 1.2 and OpenAL. I tried to find these in synaptic, but didn´t find or results were unclear!

Could some kind soul please tell me about these packages?

I´m trying to install gemrb-0.2.3.tar.gz

Thank you for your help! :)

Hi!

This is my first post on these forums. I love BG games and now that i´m mostly using Ubuntu as my primary operating system i want to play with that too :) .

So i´m having problems installing this gemrb program om Ubuntu 5.04. I downloaded most of the packages that it says on sourceforge cvs, but not all because i didn´t know which are correct ones. The files that are unclear to me are GNU make, ZLib, SDL 1.2 and OpenAL. I tried to find these in synaptic, but didn´t find or results were unclear!

Could some kind soul please tell me about these packages?

I´m trying to install gemrb-0.2.3.tar.gz

Thank you for your help! :)

It depends on what you want. If you can live without sound, you can just grab the tar file, extract it, install python-2.3, and edit the GemRB.cfg file and you are good to go (ubuntu has everything else available). If you want sound, you'll need to compile from source, which is a bit more complicated (you need to get several devel packages). Basically you need:

build-essential (this will get you gcc and make and some other stuff)

automake/autoconf/libtool

libsdl-dev

openal-dev

zlib-dev

libpython-dev

cvs

There may be others, but those are the ones I remember. I have detailed notes at home, but am not there now. If you still need help, let me know, and I'll provide more info when I get home.

I think it's also worth mentioning that dependency on cvs version of openal is a little bit problematic. From my point of view I can already say that I'm not newbie (I use linux for over 1,5 year, nowadays suse 9.2, and for instance the distro I'm using insures that I like 'user-friendly' distros, dislike editing hundreds of config files in text mode), but not very advenced (and here is my main issue --> I'm not able to compile cvs version of openal). The openal from distro is perhaps too old (from 20040902) cause not hearing any sound in gemrb (not try to help, cause I already tried at old forum and on irc without effects). Maybe rpm from upcoming suse 9.3 will help but will try later... (Also my first post :)). For other linux and gemrb users: gemrb is better than wine or cedega... :undecided: because It is able to get to "new game" menu in Icewind Dale I (in cedega it freezes my X server after loading a new game).

Update: I found rpm of openal from suse 9.3 it's from 20050203, will see if enough.

I think it's also worth mentioning that dependency on cvs version of openal is a little bit problematic.

Well, we use the development version on linux because some distros pack only very old and broken versions (including my distro). Please note that if a distro includes openal at all, it will include an old cvs snapshot from the time of the distro's packaging (or older).

If you don't use openal only for GemRB, you better download openal from the CVS, because if it ever changes we will move with it. This is the only way to ensure everyone has a working openal version (i mean, working with GemRB).

Besides this way you can have a recent openal in /usr/local separated from your normal distro openal. You can always fall back to the old one without cost.

Btw, if you follow the development of openal, you'll notice that the linux version is now improving daily (well, monthly), and there is soon a new interface spec, which will surely change the way it works. Once the versioning reaches V1.0 (with bugfixes) we'll probably stop following it and require a certain main version (or even distribute it with our sources).

Archived