Shar V Lolth

Cybersquirt

Near the end of the male relationship with Viconia, she is attacked by Lolth's minions. Pitiful as it seems, this is supposed to be a very real attempt on her life. My question, for all you dieties experts, is this: Is it acceptable that Shar apparently does nothing? If so, what (if anything) would it take for Shar to intervene?

I would imagine that an evil goddess has very little use for 'servants' that cant stand up for themselves. I don't know Shar's portfolio very well, though. :undecided: Especially if Viconia's alignment has changed... (though I think I was told that Shar can have neutral worshippers)

Near the end of the male relationship with Viconia, she is attacked by Lolth's minions.  Pitiful as it seems, this is supposed to be a very real attempt on her life.  My question, for all you dieties experts, is this:  Is it acceptable that Shar apparently does nothing?

I'm pretty sure Shar did something. She removed her protection from Viconia, leaving Viconia to be locatable by Lolth. Viconia wasn't kidding about it being death for her to care about the PC.

Shar wants everything gone permanently. She doesn't want any of her clerics to care about anything except obliteration. Shar should actually reject Viconia entirely once she cares about the PC, and Viconia should lose all her cleric powers unless another deity accepts her. Merely doing nothing when another deity goes after Viconia is rather -- forgiving, on Shar's part.

The "this makes kinda sense" argument could be that Shar wants to stick it to Lolth by allowing Her servant to find Viconia and be defeated, only to have Viconia hidden again. Maybe Shar is just waiting to show Viconia the true meaning of loss at the end of ToB.

That kinda makes sense. :undecided:

Near the end of the male relationship with Viconia, she is attacked by Lolth's minions.  Pitiful as it seems, this is supposed to be a very real attempt on her life.  My question, for all you dieties experts, is this:  Is it acceptable that Shar apparently does nothing?

I'm pretty sure Shar did something. She removed her protection from Viconia, leaving Viconia to be locatable by Lolth. Viconia wasn't kidding about it being death for her to care about the PC.

This is what I've never really gotten a sense of in the SoA game, nor in the ToB game for that matter - The threat to Viconia. Was it was that downplayed, or was it just me not seeing it?

It is against Shar's tenants to care for/about the PC, right? So she should fall from Shar's grace and loose her power/s when she (re)affirms her affections for the PC in ToB? (Or, as neriana says, well before then.)

Meira, that was always my take on it. It is especially how I justified the epilogue/ending.

BigRob, except that it's Lolth (again) that shows charname the meaning of loss. :undecided:

Perhaps Shar allowing Viconia to love the PC, then allowing Lolth to kill Viconia, would teach the PC Shar's teaching and the nature of Loss.

In other words, perhaps Viconia's purpose was to tempt the PC to Shar's service. :undecided:

Hehehe, That's a possibility. Who needs a rogue drow when you've got a semi-divine conquerer eh? :)

And everyone but Shar looses in that equation... CHARNAME loses Viconia, Lolth loses servants (from that first encounter) and Viconia loses her life. And all Shar had to do was just stop hiding Viconia. All that gain for no effort. I bet Shar was smiling that night. Or whatever it is She does to display amusement. :undecided:

Entropy is something. The constituent elements don't get destroyed, and entropy itself is action and motion. Shar wants there to be nothing, literally nothing. Loss is merely one step on the road to nothingness, and loss is not inherently entropic in any case. Entropy is every bit as vile to Shar as order.

Archived