[code] Moving tlk lines from one IE game to another

DavidW

This just came up in another thread so I thought it might be worth writing general instructions. There's a function in EEFP ('get_strings_from_game') that will collect a set of specified strings from the tlk files of any IE game. (For instance, if a spell description is more accurate in IWDEE, we might want to get the IWDEE line and bring it over.) The advantage of automating this is that we can get the strings from all languages at once, without worrying about having to have the line translated.

The function runs offline - i.e. it shouldn't appear in live code. To use it:

1) Install the fixpack in the game you want to copy from. (I tend to put directory junctions from my master copy to all the games, but you can just copy it.)

2) Add a temporary component to the tp2 that looks like this:

INCLUDE "%MOD_FOLDER%/files/tph/dw/get_strings_from_game.tph"

OUTER_SPRINT $strings("35786") "" // 35786 is the strref of the string you want
// add any other strings you want in the same format

LAF get_strings_from_game END

3) Run that component. The string(s) will be added to a tra file in the %LANGUAGE% subdirectory for every language in which the game is installed. (For instance, if you copied from IWDEE, it will be entered in %MOD_FOLDER%/lang/%LANGUAGE%/copy_from_iwdee.tra.) The tra ref is the same as the original strref: in the example above, @35786 will be set to the string at strref 35786.

4) Uninstall the component. (The edit is permanent: it won't be wiped on uninstall.)

5) Remove the temporary component, and make sure your master copy of eefixpack is updated with the contents of the local copy you've been working with.