Tactics Remix

It is with great pleasure I have been given permission from Wes to update his original Tactics mod to be compatible with the Enhanced Editions. Tactics Remix adds quite a few optional, but difficult, encounters to BG2:EE and EET aims to make the game more challenging and rewarding.

Many of these components have been drawn from different mod authors; I did not write everything here. In particular, Wes Weimer, Gebhard Blucher, Kensai Ryu, Xyx and Ishan have made contributions. I have gone through, updated the components for the EE's, and redid most of the AI from the ground up. The goal is for the encounters to feel similar to their oBG counterparts with more challenging enemy AI.

You can download the latest version of the mod here.

You can view the readme for the mod here.

Edited by morpheus562
Updated for Official ALPHA Release

Just for clarifications - so this isn't a remake, nor a full-fletched update but something inbetween? AFAIK Tactics was on a different powerlevel scaling than the vanilla game and I'm not sure how can you integrate that with SCS. Or does this involve a rebalancing to make the mod closer to the vanilla/SCS power scaling (in which case, some people might request/expect a closer-to-original scaling component though).

Yes, I read the full post, but the first sentence doesn't really match with the rest. If Wes agreed to only remix the encounters to match them with the scaling expectations commonplace these days, it's all fine (I'd still suggest Remix over Remake as a more accurate term in the name though).

Terminology wise, Remix is also probably appropriate. I am rebuilding the mod from scratch with the Crypt King encounter vastly improved from the original mod and the Gnome F/I (and his imps) and Kuroisan AI completely overhauled. Lich in the Docks has pretty good AI, so I haven't touched that yet. Overall, these are meant to be BRUTAL fights for the player. If a player wants, or doesn't want, SCS that is fine because the mod doesn't rely on it.

This will remain a separate addition solely for the EE's while the original Wes version, will remain on his site for oBG2.

Edited by morpheus562

The reason I suggest the word change is that people who are familiar with the original Tactics experience might expect an accurate and fully covered representation on the EEs just by the name and IMO it's better to explicitly use a term which makes the loosened "accuracy" more obvious.

I'm glad Tactics is being updated and modernized, I'd suggest the following:

Kuroisan. Rather than nerfing acid backlash - which will make him more of a pushover - I'd remove it from the sword entirely and give it to him as a unique spell and Fireshield replacement. Weimer (and even Bioware) gave some boss types unique spells so there's a precedent.

Items. If your pc wore "Resilient Trodders" together with "Ring of Leached Abjuration" the ring's penalty is almost obviated, an elf sorcerer stands out as capable of wearing the two at little cost (since dex will only drop to 16, which is pretty good, while con could still be as high as 16 and who cares about str on a sorc?)

Ritual/Red Badge. The boots from the Ritual really need a nerf, they ruin even the best SCS spellcasting AI. The spear looted from the Red Badge does too, but less so, removing the extra attack per round may be enough as it comes pretty late game. Red Badge foes also have zero magic resistance and are totally vulnerable to magic damage, once discovered some characters have ways of beating them almost instantly (3x Skull Trap or Holy Smite in a Spell Sequencer, 3x wilting Chain Contingency etc... I think this is one of the encounters which are actually easier with a solo arcane caster).

5 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

The reason I suggest the word change is that people who are familiar with the original Tactics experience might expect an accurate and fully covered representation on the EEs just by the name and IMO it's better to explicitly use a term which makes the loosened "accuracy" more obvious.

And the name is changed. I really enjoy modding, but naming things is definitely not one of my stronger traits.

4 hours ago, polytope said:

I'm glad Tactics is being updated and modernized, I'd suggest the following:

Kuroisan. Rather than nerfing acid backlash - which will make him more of a pushover - I'd remove it from the sword entirely and give it to him as a unique spell and Fireshield replacement. Weimer (and even Bioware) gave some boss types unique spells so there's a precedent.

Items. If your pc wore "Resilient Trodders" together with "Ring of Leached Abjuration" the ring's penalty is almost obviated, an elf sorcerer stands out as capable of wearing the two at little cost (since dex will only drop to 16, which is pretty good, while con could still be as high as 16 and who cares about str on a sorc?)

Ritual/Red Badge. The boots from the Ritual really need a nerf, they ruin even the best SCS spellcasting AI. The spear looted from the Red Badge does too, but less so, removing the extra attack per round may be enough as it comes pretty late game. Red Badge foes also have zero magic resistance and are totally vulnerable to magic damage, once discovered some characters have ways of beating them almost instantly (3x Skull Trap or Holy Smite in a Spell Sequencer, 3x wilting Chain Contingency etc... I think this is one of the encounters which are actually easier with a solo arcane caster).

I want to touch base on a couple of these points.

Kuroisan - Yes, Acid Backlash is nerfed; however, he now has an active fireshield in addition to the Acid Backlash. A lot was done with this, so I do not think he is moving towards being a pushover. Happy to receive user feedback when this goes live and adjust.

Items - As discussed above, looking at options to make the Ring of Leached Abjuration more of a cursed item by way of also reducing hit points.

Red Badge - All enemies in this fight are receiving the Belt of Intertial Barrier and Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance (undroppable & unstealable). This improves magic resistance and reduces incoming magical damage. Please note: playing at a difficulty level of less than insane will remove these items.

Ritual - No comment at this time beyond saying those boots will be overhauled. I haven't had a chance to dive deep into it, but those boots jumped out as something that will need massive changes.

6 hours ago, morpheus562 said:

Items - As discussed above, looking at options to make the Ring of Leached Abjuration more of a cursed item by way of also reducing hit points.

Damage vulnerability - a percent penalty to certain types - is an interesting and underused alternative to hp penalty, which from memory can behave strangely as an equipped effect, especially if a PC wears multiple hp effecting items.

Or immunity to healing spells while equipped (the wearer could still use Vampiric Touch, ring of regeneration or potions), if it's to be worn by the lich in the docks, that would not reduce her challenge level, whereas other penalties would make her easier to defeat in some way.

This is outside of my original scope for this Remix, but is there an interest in some of the Tactics improvements that enhance existing fights: Irenicus, Kangax, Twisted Rune, Bodhi, etc.? This section would be designed to be installed AFTER SCS and allow the player the option of each specific fight they would want to update.