IWD:EE compatibility fixer (for kits, TnB innate metamagic)

If you've played IWDEE with mod kits, you may have noticed many kits aren't actually compatible with IWDEE, even if they say they are. Kits will generally work, but they'll be missing IWDEE abilities, or in the case of druids or paladins, have completely wrong abilities.

I decided to do something about it (a long time ago, but only getting it done now). There's also a component for Tome & Blood's Innate Metamagic (options 1 and 2). More details below.

Components:

1. Kit mods
  2. TnB Innate Metamagic (tested with v0.9.42)

Download: https://github.com/D2-mods/IWDEE-compatibility-fixer/releases

Additional info (Kit mods):

NOTE: If the Artisan's Kitpack (v3.0) Paladin Overhaul is detected, no changes will be made to Detect Evil or Protection From Evil. The reason is the BG2 Detect Evil and the IWD Protection from Evil use the same filename (SPCL212.spl). Artisan's Kitpack changes the IWD file into Detect Evil and uses the BG2 filename for Protection From Evil (SPCL213.spl).

Haven't decided the best way to handle it, so I just left it alone for now. Note that other mod kits that expect SPCL212.spl to still be Protection From Evil will instead gain Detect Evil. My own kits from The Workshop Kitpack are fully compatible, as long as they're installed after Artisan's Kitpack.

Paladins:

• Gains IWD Detect/Protection From Evil (and removes BG2 versions if detected)
  • Cure Disease is given if a kit gains Lay On Hands
  • Gains disease immunity
  • Gains fear immunity at level 3
  • Blackguard is skipped
  • Smite Evil is skipped (too many different kits with custom smite abilities)

Rangers:

• Gains Tracking at level 1

Thief:

• Gains Evasion at level 7

Druid

• Gains Timeless Body at level 15
  • Gains poison immunity at level 9
  • Removes BG2 abilities (resists, poison immunity, shapeshifts)
  • Gains IWD shapeshifts (only if BG2 shapeshifts were detected)

Innate Metamagic (tested with Tome & Blood v0.9.42)

Note: According to subtledoctor, the level discrepancies from the Innate Metamagic component are intended. I personally prefer the abilities to be gained at the same time as the spell level, so I'm keeping this component.

The following issues are in IWDEE:

• Chain Contingency is unobtainable in pre-v0.9.42 versions of TnB (changed to an HLA, but game has no HLAs)
  • Bards don't get Spell Sequencer/Trigger, even though they get level 7 and 8 spells
  • Some abilities are gained at a different level than the spell level.

This component does the following for IWDEE:

• Mages and Sorcerers gain Chain Contingency at level 18 (no conflicts with the v0.9.42 update).
  • Bards gain Spell Sequencer at level 21 and Spell Trigger at level 29.
  • All abilities are gained at the same level that the spell level is gained (unmodded spell progression)

Can also be installed for the BGEE games. Will only adjust the level discrepancies.

Edited by Dan_P

FWIW I just added IWDEE-specific code to TnB to give Chain Contingency to mages (like you, I set it for 18th level).

Giving other sequencers and Contingency at different levels than you would get the vanilla spells is quite intentional: as innate abilities they are not leveled, and I think getting special innates at levels 7/10/13/16 is a more pleasing cadence than 7/12/14/16. Plus it jives with some other special abilities in the game (e.g. warrior APR bonuses at 7/13, etc.)

Similarly, even though bards get 7th-/8th-level spells in IWDEE, they are still not wizards and reserving e.g. Spell Trigger for mages only is quite intentional, not an oversight - with this TnB component it is not a leveled spell, but a powerful mage-only special ability.

So that stuff really doesn't need "fixing." That said, if people want to play this stuff the same way as Dan_P, that's entirely reasonable and I have zero problem with modifying anything introduced by any of my mods. I'm not a purist, I support playing the game your way, and feel free to use, re-use, or change any of my stuff to accomplish that!  :goodwork:

9 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

FWIW I just added IWDEE-specific code to TnB to give Chain Contingency to mages (like you, I set it for 18th level).

Giving other sequencers and Contingency at different levels than you would get the vanilla spells is quite intentional: as innate abilities they are not leveled, and I think getting special innates at levels 7/10/13/16 is a more pleasing cadence than 7/12/14/16. Plus it jives with some other special abilities in the game (e.g. warrior APR bonuses at 7/13, etc.)

Similarly, even though bards get 7th-/8th-level spells in IWDEE, they are still not wizards and reserving e.g. Spell Trigger for mages only is quite intentional, not an oversight - with this TnB component it is not a leveled spell, but a powerful mage-only special ability.

So that stuff really doesn't need "fixing." That said, if people want to play this stuff the same way as Dan_P, that's entirely reasonable and I have zero problem with modifying anything introduced by any of my mods. I'm not a purist, I support playing the game your way, and feel free to use, re-use, or change any of my stuff to accomplish that!  :goodwork:

That's good to know, thanks. You hadn't mentioned this in your reply in the TnB thread. I do personally prefer them gained at the same time as the spell level, but I'll add a note to the readme/GitHub page that your mod works as intended. With Chain Contingency, I'll look into that once you get that out in an update and remove from this mod if necessary. I just put together an IWDEE install, so that's what this "fixes" mod was for (noticed a bunch of issues with various kits).