How well does Delainy/Durlyle speak?

Winterine

I hope I haven't asked something previously asked, but I've been interested in this mod for a LONG time now and only check in on its progress very infrequently (last time...err...was perhaps many many months ago...).

I just read some of the banter samples and screenshots, and I noticed that she speaks common (or whatever we're calling english) quite well. Is this deliberate? As in, she's picked it up over time? Last I recall, Durlyle's english was a little fractured (but not without its charms *grin*). I'm guessing Delainy's dialogue in BGI was not much different.

So please just confirm this for me. I can't until this is out! :thumbsup: Or rather, the Durlyle version, *chuckles*

Consider it an artist's degree of freedom. I was a bit surprised too when I saw Delainy/Durlyle's speech was now fluent Engish. Two possible reasons for justification: it's been a few years(?) since BG1, and in this time Del/Dur has learned to speak decent Englsih; writing in such a way would be maddening for mostly any writer (I seem to remember Bri mentioning this one as the main reason).

I just read some of the banter samples and screenshots, and I noticed that she speaks common (or whatever we're calling english) quite well. Is this deliberate? As in, she's picked it up over time? Last I recall, Durlyle's english was a little fractured (but not without its charms *grin*). I'm guessing Delainy's dialogue in BGI was not much different

Yep, this has been asked before, but I don't mind answering again :thumbsup:

But yes, Delainy's/Durlyle's speech was very fractured in BG I: Tales of the Sword Coast. And Domi is correct that both say the exact same thing. The only thing that changes is the name and sex depending on the sex of the Bhaalspawn.

Consider it an artist's degree of freedom. I was a bit surprised too when I saw Delainy/Durlyle's speech was now fluent Engish. Two possible reasons for justification: it's been a few years(?) since BG1, and in this time Del/Dur has learned to speak decent Englsih; writing in such a way would be maddening for mostly any writer (I seem to remember Bri mentioning this one as the main reason).

Lord Ernie is correct in that it would have been hard mentally to work all her dialogue into the original diction format.

Anyways, as for having fluent English (representing fluent Common) is that we made the assumption she has been on the mainland for quite some time now.

It is fair to assume that between the events in BG I and the start of BG II, some time has passed for the Bhaalspawn, and it is in that intervening time period when Del/Dur comes to the mainland. With their exposure to the mainlanders, the werewolves' version of Common would slowly match that of their new surroundings.

So please just confirm this for me. I can't until this is out!  Or rather, the Durlyle version

Well, the Durlyle version will have different dialogue than Del's. Most of the NPC banters will be the same, and some of the lovetalks, but I think 50% of it will be different to represent the change in sex.

I hope I haven't asked something previously asked, but I've been interested in this mod for a LONG time now and only check in on its progress very infrequently (last time...err...was perhaps many many months ago...).

I apologize for that. As I last posted in the Developer's Diary, I have every intention to finishing the writing in the next two months. I don't know when Cam will be coding, though.

Guest Guest

Thanks for replying :) I remember the diary, and I *did* used to read it, until I caught up, and then for one reason or another did not have the time to check back on forums as often as I'd have liked.

Re Durlyle version being 50% different; I should hope so *lol* ;):)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for replying :)  I remember the diary, and I *did* used to read it, until I caught up, and then for one reason or another did not have the time to check back on forums as often as I'd have liked.

Re Durlyle version being 50% different;  I should hope so *lol* ;):)

Keep up the good work!

Well, the biggest problem with checking is that 90% of my recent posts were me saying, "Well, I think I have some free time, and will work on Del" and then not doing so for various reasons.

I know I get irritated of writing it, and can imagine how those who read it may be reacting to it.

Guest Guest
Well, the biggest problem with checking is that 90% of my recent posts were me saying, "Well, I think I have some free time, and will work on Del" and then not doing so for various reasons. 

I know I get irritated of writing it, and can imagine how those who read it may be reacting to it.

Not to worry, I know just how you feel! :)

Hi,

I would like Del&Durl having some sort of accent. Seeing them speak "perfectly" wouldn't just, well, feel right. Yes, I agree that their language skills would be much better than when they were met on the island. But my experience with people being no native speakers is that no matter how long they live at one place and speak the foreign language there is always something left that tells that they are no native speakers. Even if they speak perfectly, there is still some grammar issues, or accent they'll never get rid of (I am no exception). :) So to see some hint about Del&Durl's past in their speaking would make it perfect for my taste.

I admit it might be hard to realize. I guess I would accept it if the Ds tell me in game the reasons you posted for their perfect speaking, although I'd be most probably stunned about their high language skills. :)

Ah yes, I can envision it now: Delainy with a french accent: "Gggreetings, <Maincharrrr> Aye aam Delaiinyye..... :) Or better yet, a German accent, saying apolooogies and inconwenience... :)

I don't know. It's not a bad idea, per se, but the range of foreign accents (which is what we want, a non-native English speaker) is quite broad, and I wouldn't know which one would be the right one. Besides, getting a good voice actor/actress, who works for free and who can do accents without making a fool of themselves won't be easy.

:)

Yes, I see the problem. I forgot about the voicing, I have to admit. No, taking an accent of a real world language wouldn't fit anyhow. But maybe the Ds could still twist some grammar (words in wrong order), as some left over from the old days?

Ah, don't note my nagging. The language skills will be plausible the way you explain it. D was a language researcher / historian after all, no? :) As long as the matter is addressed as a dialogue in the mod so CHARNAME can express her surprise herself I'll be happy.

I would like Del&Durl having some sort of accent. Seeing them speak "perfectly" wouldn't just, well, feel right. Yes, I agree that their language skills would be much better than when they were met on the island. But my experience with people being no native speakers is that no matter how long they live at one place and speak the foreign language there is always something left that tells that they are no native speakers.

Don't apologize Jastey. For what it is worth, I agree with you, as have had several others.

Well, Delainy in BGI doesn't have any voiced lines IIRC. Perhaps an accent could be derived from the way the dialogs are written...

Actually, she does have some spoken lines, and that is where the short, clipped and accented bit came from the first time.

Yes, I see the problem. I forgot about the voicing, I have to admit. No, taking an accent of a real world language wouldn't fit anyhow. But maybe the Ds could still twist some grammar (words in wrong order), as some left over from the old days?

I hope to do that when I get into the editing phase of the module. :)

I don't know. It's not a bad idea, per se, but the range of foreign accents (which is what we want, a non-native English speaker) is quite broad, and I wouldn't know which one would be the right one. Besides, getting a good voice actor/actress, who works for free and who can do accents without making a fool of themselves won't be easy.

I will admit that my biggest desire is to just find someone who sounds similar (tone wise, not style wise) before other concerns.

Ah, don't note my nagging. The language skills will be plausible the way you explain it. D was a language researcher / historian after all, no?

The werewolves do speak a variant of Common (it's changed due to their isolation). Add to that Del is a bard (a class with an affinity for learning other languages), and a deep interest in interacting with the Mainlanders...

I'd also like to hear an accent of some sort in the voicing. I have to admit, part of what made Durlyle fascinating was his charming manner of speech :) But I also agree that finding a similar-sounding voice is more important.

Archived