[Added] This is true.

SimDing0

Gah, let's not talk about redefining proficiencies. Every time I've seen this discussed (be it 2e, 3e, or some other system entirely) it turns into long, esoteric historic definitions and long rambling justifications which, frankly, bore the hell out of me. :) Not that these are necessarily bad or incorrect, just something in which I have very little interest.

I think a simple avatar animation change would be desirable and would nicely fit in with 1PP or Tweaks' Weapon Animation component.

I think the proficiencies and paperdoll graphics should reflect the item icons-- changing things around to better reflect whatever historical definitions might have been different, while fascinating, is going to look just as daft as the current situation.

I'd suggest:

- Flails use the flail proficiency, and look like flails. No change here.

- Morningstars use the mace proficiency, and look like morning stars on the inventory screen and maces ingame (so graphics as per BG1).

Rename the proficiencies as appropriate. For bonus points, consolidate the club and mace proficiencies because why on earth are they different in the first place? I also suggest adding support for worthwhile mods. The tweak should apply to Tutu as well as BG2.

This seems to be vaguely what PnP suggests anyway, and as we're all aware, when Ding0 and PnP agree, there's a 0% chance of it being wrong.

I'm not a great fan of keeping the proficiencies as they currently are when you've changed the graphics for both weapon types in the proficiency to look nothing alike. It's going to leave people thinking "hey, this looks like a mace and smells like a mace, so why the hell is it classified as a flail?" I think anybody who's going to argue that historically slinging a ball on a chain was exactly the same as whacking somebody with a metal-headed club is probably worth disregarding.

If you're gonna be messing with proficiencies anyway then you should also fix that "scimitar/wakizashi/ninjato using the same proficiency" thing as well. Anybody who thinks those weapons would be wielded similarly has never actually held any of them. :)

EDIT: Sorry, Cam! (Blame Sim though.....he's the one who brought up changing proficiencies around again.)

Well, I was perfectly happy with the animation change (since it should be drop-dead simple) and it'll be included in 1PP (likely) or Tweaks.

Since there does seem to be positive sentiment for proficiency changes, I'd be game for a proficiency re-work as a new component. Since we're thinking this from scratch, let's start a new thread.

I changed my mind and decided that morningstars using mace animations fits in nicely with the existing Weapon Animation Tweaks component instead of 1PP. Look for this in G3 v12/Tutu v13.

Profs will be a separate component.

edit: And the animation change is included, but revised profs are still in the works. Mainly because I kinda forgot about them in my rush to finish last night.

Archived