compatibility of this mod with a number of other mods

Posted (edited)

so for these mods i can think of,

SRR+SCS+tweaks anthology

Characters Choose Minor New Abilities Every Three Levels"

i am not sure importing a modded save from 1 ee with these mods to 2 ee is a good idea now (though with same components, order will differ and i will install mods like bg 1 npc and some bg 1 adventure mods). 

i am not bent on having the exactly same save file tranferred to bg 2 ee and play with it. i can accept making a new PC in 2ee, as long as i can get benefits the same as if i have played 1+SoD. hence I am considering this mod.

but i have these mods too:

item upgrade, and under represented items

rogue rebalance, silence and song (these two mods, mostly for extra bard and thief items, and encounters that give these items)

SCS, NPC_EE

I am not sure how SoD to BG2ee item upgrade will react with these six mods' components, that apparently edit dialogue and inventory, and distribute items in places.

for example , what if they edit the same NPC and what they equip or sell? or in the case of NPC_EE, each companion comes with a tome that functions to edit stats and class, and this mod also gives companion NPC items imported from other games. I dont know if both changes can remain.

I really only want a way to be able to play modded bg1 ee, then bg2 ee with the importable items and such. I am not hanged up on this mod, or on transferring the saves. I can also accept just creating a new game in 2ee and editing it with NI though i imagine that would be a lot of work, which a mod like this could potentially eliminate the need of the work. Modding BGT ee might be another option, but currently I have no access to the weidulogs from the weidulog repo, and i have not much experience modding IE, but if it presents itself as a suitable option and if i can find others tested and working weidulog that has about everything i need i will consdier about that too.

Edited by jacklhoward
5 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Why do you ask ?

hi there, Jarno.

I heard that transferring modded bg 1 ee to bg 2 ee might be finicky. someone reported weird things happened to their importable items.

Dawg also says on IE discord, that though most mods worry not too much, there are also caveats such as

'It boils down to the same issue in all cases: do the mod resources end up in the same slots in both games? For kits, they start from a master kit list that varies in length between the games, so even if you install kits in the same order they end up with different values.
Spells and abilities, same issue. If they're just named "cdspell" in both games they're fine; if they're slotted into the first available spell slot in the special namespace that allows sorcerers/shamen to select them, maybe not.
That's why there's no blanket "this will be fine" because it's mod to mod.'

sorry i didnt make it clear.

so for these mods i can think of,

SRR+SCS+tweaks anthology

Characters Choose Minor New Abilities Every Three Levels"

i am not sure importing a modded save from 1 ee with these mods to 2 ee is a good idea now (though with same components, order will differ and i will install mods like bg 1 npc and some bg 1 adventure mods). 

i am not bent on having the exactly same save file tranferred to bg 2 ee and play with it. i can accept making a new PC in 2ee, as long as i can get benefits the same as if i have played 1+SoD. hence I am considering this mod.

but i have these mods too:

item upgrade, and under represented items

rogue rebalance, silence and song (these two mods, mostly for extra bard and thief items, and encounters that give these items)

SCS, NPC_EE

I am not sure how SoD to BG2ee item upgrade will react with these six mods' components, that apparently edit dialogue and inventory, and distribute items in places.

for example , what if they edit the same NPC and what they equip or sell? or in the case of NPC_EE, each companion comes with a tome that functions to edit stats and class, and this mod also gives companion NPC items imported from other games. I dont know if both changes can remain.

I really only want a way to be able to play modded bg1 ee, then bg2 ee with the importable items and such. I am not hanged up on this mod, or on transferring the saves. I can also accept just creating a new game in 2ee and editing it with NI though i imagine that would be a lot of work, which a mod like this could potentially eliminate the need of the work. Modding BGT ee might be another option, but currently I have no access to the weidulogs from the weidulog repo, and i have not much experience modding IE, but if it presents itself as a suitable option and if i can find others tested and working weidulog that has about everything i need i will consdier about that too.

8 hours ago, jacklhoward said:

I heard that transferring modded bg 1 ee to bg 2 ee might be finicky. someone reported weird things happened to their importable items.

Go back and find what they said ? It would help a lot... cause there's nothing but CHAOTIC EVIL you are spreading here unless we actually have a valid report, of a BUG, that someone has been able to reproduce. Asking help with this LARGE base of code that one would need to run every iteration of possible combinations is rather ludicrous.

2 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Go back and find what they said ? It would help a lot... cause there's nothing but CHAOTIC EVIL you are spreading here unless we actually have a valid report, of a BUG, that someone has been able to reproduce. Asking help with this LARGE base of code that one would need to run every iteration of possible combinations is rather ludicrous.

sorry about that.

There's really no need to be sorry. But understanding the context is in order. The games have been modded 20+ years by 1000+ mod makers, there's always a new mod just around the corner, and ones you have cleared the first versions, you have 20 000 other versions to go through before you are done ... and it's ever widening cap between what is known, and what is NOT.

Despite what Jarno said, it's totally fine to ask whether the mod author or other people know any details. If there is a report, the more specific is indeed the better.

Chances are high that there is no explicit answer, for reasons Jarno posted.

While I do the best I can to keep my mod compatible with others, I am sure there are going to be situations where things just don't mesh well with other mods.  That being said, I am currently working on a complete re-write, wherein I am focusing on better modularity of individual components, and nixing things that have been, or are currently, covered by other mods.

9 hours ago, Daeros_Trollkiller said:

I am currently working on a complete re-write, wherein I am focusing on better modularity of individual components, and nixing things that have been, or are currently, covered by other mods.

Woo! 🥳 I know this can be hard and tedious, so - waves pompoms - very appreciated!