Minor mods I wish existed...

I hope posting a wish list is acceptable, as I am purely in the player camp rather than developer camp.

1) A few knock spells in the prologue so you don't have to miss the extra loot and, more importantly, one of the BG1RE encounters. Putting these in the priest's quarters would make sense, or in the one unlocked chest in the Candlekeep inn. (Yes, I know you can save a character with items, but it would be nice to do this IC)

2) Add Cromwell/Cespenar recipes to Taerom. This seems silly, but much like the reasoning for allowing the first two to make each other's recipes, the "Greatest smithy on the sword coast" seems like he should be able to do it as well. Obviously this would be an EET mod, but I would love to have a reason to return to Beregost.

3) Similarly, slowly add higher SoA spells to Thalantyr's shop so that there is a reason to return to High Hedge later in the game. For mods that allow the PC to eventually return to Baldur's Gate, adding them to Sorcerous Sundries would be nice as well. Obviously, for balance reasons, these spells shouldn't be available prior to starting the SoA portion of EET, but it would make sense for them to be there.

4) Integrate more of the SoD items by allowing all the other smiths to make Jegg's recipes as well. Obviously most people will use them for the dragon scale items, since they will be used in SoD, but it would make sense to allow other smiths to do it if you wait and hold onto the armor.

Essentially I'd like every smithy or spell shop in an EET run to offer value throughout the trilogy.

5) A mod like Throne of Bhaal Tourist to allow all areas of the map to be accessible in ToB - even if it is silly because the travel times would be in weeks. I always hated that there was no *good* reason the rest of the map was blocked off - unlike Spellhold or the Underdark, where you literally couldn't return.

3 hours ago, maurvir said:

1) A few knock spells in the prologue so you don't have to miss the extra loot and, more importantly, one of the BG1RE encounters. Putting these in the priest's quarters would make sense, or in the one unlocked chest in the Candlekeep inn. (Yes, I know you can save a character with items, but it would be nice to do this IC)

I'll add some for IP's next update.

Ok, I found another.

How difficult would it be to replace the interior of the house next to Feldepost's Inn with one that matches the exterior and has more storage? My usual spot in the Jovial Juggler is being used by a mod, and I've always thought that house was a bit odd - it has two chimneys on the side, but its interior doesn't match and none of the fireplaces are lit.

What I would like is Mirianne's house, less the NPCs, duplicated and used for that house, but I'm not sure what would be involved in cloning those interiors and replacing the existing interiors with them. Ideally, this would be a simple tweak mod that would do that one thing only, though it would need to be EET compatible.

Cloning an existing area's layout is very easy; there's a reason the games did it so much. In the ARE file, there's a reference to a WED file; that's where all the layout information and graphics come from. So you start by copying the relevant WED file, and then look to other details in the ARE like NPC placement (are they inside walls now?), stair and door placements (do they line up with stair and door graphics? Best copy those from the other ARE), and ambient audio/visual effects (fireplaces make sounds, for example).

Over on the WED side, that references one or more TIS files. And then there are PVRZ files, and probably some more auxiliary files I'm not thinking of right now ... don't mess with that stuff unless you know what you're doing. Thankfully, you don't need to do any of that to clone a layout. Cloning the WED file itself, with no further alterations, should be enough.

I will have to give this a try on my next run. As it stands, I forgot there is another house in Beregost that, when you are done, is empty and ready to move in. All your party has to do is talk to a little boy and then deal with his ogre parents.

It's on my list, though.

On the other hand, I really appreciate taking mod content into account if designing new things. There is lots of additions to houses in BG1, and it's a pain if two mods add to the same one (especially if the first one was around for years already).

Honestly, Beregost should be a larger town, period. I would love to see a bit more of the town, either to the west or south.

if you look at the canon map of Beregost, it is obvious Bioware shoved the important characters into their version of the town without much regard for that original map. For instance, Firebeard's house should be next to the Burning Wizard, on the EAST side of town next to the temple of Lathander. Miranne's house should be on the west side, not the east side, and Landrin's home should be in the north, not the south.  Feldepost's should be right at the entrance, not near the center, while the Thunderhammer smithy *should* be in the center  and isn't. I love Baldur's Gate and have played it since it first came out, so I don't mind, but it does leave room for a mod expansion.

Obviously, no one is going to rework the entire town map to match the canon map, but it should be closer to three areas, not two. Oh, and there are no town walls or a mine under the town - which there should be. Ironically, the Gorgon's Eye mod does add caves under the city, so one idea would be a small area directly to the south with the mines - and perhaps a hidden entrance from said mines to the quest area - but that's a big ask!