EET and BGEE Classic Movies

As far as I recall, EET converts the classic movies from the original format to the EE format and dimensions on-the-fly during installation.  I believe it uses ffmpeg to do this.  BGEE Classic Movies pre-converts the movies to the EE format and dimensions using a combination of several different software programs and a variety of specialty filters to address the compression artifacts present in the originals which are typically exacerbated when up-scaled.  In my opinion, BGEE Classic Movies's version are visually superior to the native EET version, but if having the classic movies there at all is enough to satisfy one's sense of nostalgia then yes I suppose this component is redundant.

BGEE Classic Movies also restores the original chapter background screens, and supports several different UI themes.  I don't recall EET doing this, so this component of the mod wouldn't be redundant.

10 minutes ago, Sam. said:

As far as I recall, EET converts the classic movies from the original format to the EE format and dimensions on-the-fly during installation.  I believe it uses ffmpeg to do this. 

Not anymore. EET installs post-processed cinematics to reduce blockiness. Some of them also make use of the MVESND.2DA feature to provide multi-language support without wasting too much modding space. It doesn't restore the original chapter backgrounds though (iirc).

I can't speak to the technical aspects as Sam and Argent have, but  I did test this about six months ago, and I found that the movies from the BGEE Classic Movies were higher quality than the default versions in EET, but given the age and quality of these cinematics, I wouldn't call it a massive difference either way.