Help installing mods - Another "Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory" error - I have searched for answeres..

I recently got BG2 EE from steam. Thought I would give it a try after playing the original when it was released years ago. Read numerous posts on here and Beamdog on mod installation, order, and read the readme of the mods I wanted to use. I created a new folder for BG2 EE on my desktop and a separate folder to download the mods into. I installed EEex (Bubb's Spell Menu said it required it) and DLC merger 64bit (a post on how to install mods on Beamdog said to download it) first. Then, the mods that were downloaded in an exe file were properly installed in my BG2 EE game folder. Some of the mods that had to be downloaded in a zip file installed correctly and others won't. I have unzipped the mod zip files in my mods folder and extracted into the game folder and ran the exe. The ones that won't install I receive this.

[C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\RE\setup-re.exe] WeiDU version 24600

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

The mods was extracted into the game folder, so I do not know what to do as they are in the game directory "folder" (BG2 EE). The posts I have found on the issue, the problem was that the extraction was not into the game folder.

I am at work so this mod list is from memory (I think there are 3-4 more that work or don't):

Works: Ascension, Iomen Romance, Gibberlings Three Anniversary Mod.

Does not work and I get the above error: Dragonspear UI, Unfinished Business, Romantic Encounters, Bubb's Spell Menu.

Any help is appreciated! I spent hours reading post and trying to get the mods to work. Modding for BG3 was so easy...

Press ENTER to exit.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Bigguns205 said:

Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\RE\setup-re.exe

COPY-paste the RE folders content into the Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\ folder and try and run the .exe again.
What likely happened is that when you extracted the archive, it added the RE folder's name based on the archive name to the folder structure it was in, and you get this failure.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Thanks! I will double check that when I get home. Do you mean I unzip the file in my separate mods folder, copy the contents (not the folder they are in) into the BG2 EE folder, and then run the setup.re.exe within the BG2 EE folder? I have tried so many different ways I cannot even remember everything I tried.

When attempting different ways to get the mods to work I also did get an error with something about archive in it....

But yes, I believe in my BG2 EE folder it did say: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\RE\setup-re.exe

7 minutes ago, Bigguns205 said:

Thanks! I will double check that when I get home. Do you mean I unzip the file in my separate mods folder, copy the contents (not the folder they are in) into the BG2 EE folder, and then run the setup.re.exe within the BG2 EE folder? I have tried so many different ways I cannot even remember everything I tried.

That would work yes.
Thing is, the setup-modname.exe's needs to be in the base game folder, aka in the above case the C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\ -folder. And you can find in the original post that it is not.
And yes, todays modern games are easier to install mods to cause they were made with that in mind... at least some of them were. While this game definitely was not. The setup-modname.exe's for example are all the same file just renamed to take orders from a similarly named setup-modname.tp2 file, and this is because it's a communally made and maintained mod install tool, called Weidu.exe ..

Ah, I see now. The RE is not supposed to be there. Yes, I believe after unzipping I was copying the whole folder into the game folder. Thanks! I will  have to perform a clean install as I just got pissed and skipped some mods and my mod installation order will not be wrong (from what I have read).