Single-classed Deheriana?

I got PM today asking how to ajust a F/M/C into a party and I remeber our old discussion about how to treat a triple class. Is there interest in having an alternative, single-classed Deheriana instead - Wild mage or Enchanter mage? Since I need to update the bugged script for her, I can add up a new optional single-classed Deheriana for the next update? If yes, is it WM or Enchanter that will be more intersting?

I always had trouble believing that any person could have a credible backdrop for more than three classes anyway. Think of a dual class idea of: First s/he did this (first class) then that happened and now s/he is a <other class>.

Now what are triple class characters? A jack of all trades, yes, but what is their story? The only useful triple class (M/C/T) is worryingly absent anyway. :)

I always had trouble believing that any person could have a credible backdrop for more than three classes anyway. Think of a dual class idea of: First s/he did this (first class) then that happened and now s/he is a <other  class>.

Now what are triple class characters? A jack of all trades, yes, but what is their story? The only useful triple class (M/C/T) is worryingly absent anyway. :)

IIRC elves do not aquire classes sequentially. They are multi, not dual and elves like magic & need religion, why wouldn't they F/M/C. Just because they're slight doesn't mean they're not up for a ruck, so a lot of them'd get a lot of practice in fighting as well. :D

WRT to Domi's question, I'm having a RL time pressure on my BGing, but this mod is on my must play soon list, I need to et my mod out the door and my son needs to stop using that part of the stack. So no valid comment about single or triple. (The triple PnP I've seen are fun though).

I always had trouble believing that any person could have a credible backdrop for more than three classes anyway. Think of a dual class idea of: First s/he did this (first class) then that happened and now s/he is a <other  class>.

I actually found the F/M/C to be a munchkiner's delight. Through a combination of the various self buffs mages and clerics get, you can make the character invulenerable, and a devastating fighter at the same time. Then again, this requires intensely cheesy tactics.

As for what class Deheriana should be, I'd say choose what class fits her story. Class is a large part of who the person is, so you if you can change the class of the character that easily, it might mean that the personality and character isn't developed very well. If that is the case, the developing the character further should cement the class.

I am not arguing that tripleclasses in PnP (!) aren't fun and the way you can level in 3E in IWD2 is a faint hint at what would be possible, but alas in CPRGs I shun triple classes like the plague as they are only for the indecisive. If elves can do everything, then give them their own class that combines everything. To recreate the real elf feeling in CPRGs is not possible in a way that satisfy me. Otherwise Kivan would need some more magic and cleric spells than is possible as a ranger. Elves are no mere rangers as they are atuned to the world around them in a different way. Since there is obviously no solution that can satisfy me ingame anyway, please feel free to ignore me. Seriously. :)

In RL it's not usual for one person to be a medical doctor, a lawyer and a soldier but it's not unknown either. And if people had elven, or even half-elven, lifespans, it'd be much less uncommon. In a place like Faerun, I'd think that any decently brought-up elf who had more than a nominal sense of responsibility to his/her community would generally have at least two classes. War, arcane magic and the gods are simply so integral to their world, that they would develop the skills to deal with it as a matter of course.

As for what class Deheriana should be, I'd say choose what class fits her story.  Class is a large part of who the person is, so you if you can change the class of the character that easily, it might mean that the personality and character isn't developed very well.  If that is the case, the developing the character further should cement the class.

I second that. Both Enchanter and Wild Mage would be interesting. Choose whichever fits better, or add them both as optional components. :)

Well, my problem when I was making Deheriana was that I was seeing her as one of those 'idealized' Elves... I really never had a firm idea of what Deheriana is, rather than who - and it was Kivan's dream lady. While I have sucessfully avoided setting all of her stats to 25, and indeed thought long about her stats before and after ressurection, the class descision was a spurr of the moment when I was coding the mod. I think there is no harm in adding a single-classed version to this update making it a big Deheriana event, by correcting the glitches in her ressurection/restoration, adding her SoA banters and finally adding the stats adjusting spell to restoration sequence.

I don't have a problem with triple class characters, but if you want to include a singleclass Deheriana, I think that an Enchanter would be the way to go. Elves are associated with enchantment magic (both in influencing the lesser races and with magical item crafting) and Wild-mage feels like the sort of thing a human would do. Plunging hip-deep in the chaos of magic to get greater power very quickly.

I would say MCF is still the closest match if I cannot have 3ed rules that can place emphasis on different aspects. The way I saw her developping was: she is born a young well-born girl of local nobility, with little knowledge of dangers and grief. Magic is her leasurly occupation and a way to satisfy her curiosity about the world. It's a woman's magic in the begining, non-combative. Then comes the war in Shilmista, where she participates in the battles as mage, but later on as a member of the nobility helps with healing slowly developping divine healing side. Finally when she weds Kivan and they chose to leave Shilmista she he trains her some with weapons.

So basically all of the version I have can describe this woman.

Due to her relatively low 'hard' stats (even after restoration) she will need lots of magic to be a star-fighter.

Healing is the strongest aspect of the priestly classes that I wanted for her anyway, so special ability works for me.

Mage, since it is Kivan's strongest first memory of her, is the class that I would like to preserve the most and that is why her optional classes are based on the single-classed mage.

Wild mage is my last choice, since I can only justify that her stay in Arvanaith brought dissarray in her magical knowledge.

Sorceress is the class I would not want for her because she is too old to be born a sorceress.

It is my understanding that sorcerers were created as class when 2nd edition kicked in, and did not exist till that whatever year it would have been in DR. But at any rate, I do not see her as sorcerer - their ancestry is generally too striking and murky etc. I just want her to be a relativey typical elf.

Archived