Overview of LoI

Since when is having more NPC's a bad idea?

Because when one project offers too many NPCs they will either remain underdevelopped or writing will take years, because you have to create interactions for all possible NPC combinations.

http://www.swooh.com/peon/Trashman/Misc/Files.zip

The file is approx 2.5 mb

ITEMS:

When I was putting it together I noticed I did miss a few things:

1. Forgot to remove restrictions for shields and crossbows...possbily for some pole weapons too

2. Forgot to edit drow armor and weapons

3. I edited some demons, dragons and other bdifficult opponents and reduced their AC, but gave them damage resistance instead (However, I didn't put them in the file)

4. I used some icons from the Freedoms Reign MOD..only for several elven items(holms, armor)

New items:

Phoenix Armor +3

Thunderplate +3 (wanted to add lightning damage bonus for every hit the wearer scores..didn't know how)

Forest Guardian +3

Nature's Gift +2 (Thalia)

Grand Elven Chain +3

Elven Helm

Elven Guard Helm

Robe of the Ages

Robe of the Woods

Circlet of Clarity

2 rings (can't remeber names)

------

Holy Avenger: Avauril +5 (doesn't have the Clocks of Fear, alltough it is in the description)

Ellesar +2

Nature's Wraith +2

Starfury +2

Guardian Moonblade +3

Feaglos +2 (Aquae)

Vengance +3

A few more....

CREAUTES:

Changes all elves of Sundelessanar..they are far better off now...

Because when one project offers too many NPCs they will either remain underdevelopped or writing will take years, because you have to create interactions for all possible NPC combinations.

Like 2-3 more are gonna make such a big difference....

Yes, writing would take longer, but Rome wan't built in a day now wasn't it?

I'm not saying to implement all the char's I listed as Party NPC's..

You can easily have some of them as creatures you just run into...

Lots of NPCs: as long as they're all well developed, there isn't really a problem. Though bear in mind that for every new NPC added, we have to write not only that NPC's banters, but banters between the existing LoI NPCs and this character. Plus as Domi mentioned, each time a new character is added to the list, the number of new banters required increases :(.

Having NPCs of the same class isn't really a problem (though I can't say I've heard of many people who have two or more rangers or paladins in their party); when I say we shouldn't really have similar NPCs, I'm talking more in terms of their backgrounds and personalities.

Demonic ancestors: the commonly held theory by many inhabitants of the Forgotten Realms is that sorcerers inherit their innate magical powers from a demonic (or possibly draconic) ancestor. Elves in particular hate the idea of a "taint" in members of their kind, and some elves even dislike half-elves for this reason.

Alternate subraces: sure, if you want to come up with all the stats and stuff, go for it :groucho:.

Crusader: Do you mean more paladin-like in terms of abilities, or in terms of their personality, duties, activities, etc?

Paladins: Ah, another person who's fallen into the old "Lawful = never breaks the law" trap! :D The creators of D&D made a real balls up by naming the alignment 'Lawful' , as 'Ordered' would have been a far more accurate description. While a Lawful character is generally more likely to obey the law than a Chaotic person, it actually means they're a somewhat more logical thinker, far more self disciplined, less likely to make a hasty decision, and so on. All traits that should be required of a paladin in my humble opinion ???.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

Paladins: Ah, another person who's fallen into the old "Lawful = never breaks the law" trap! The creators of D&D made a real balls up by naming the alignment 'Lawful' , as 'Ordered' would have been a far more accurate description. While a Lawful character is generally more likely to obey the law than a Chaotic person, it actually means they're a somewhat more logical thinker, far more self disciplined, less likely to make a hasty decision, and so on. All traits that should be required of a paladin in my humble opinion

So why the hell are elves Chaotic? :groucho:

In any book I read, they sound far more disciplined adn hasty than humans. And they sure as hell obey laws...

I ment more apaldin-like in both ways...

I really ment a re-doing of current sub races & races (their modifiers, stats, skills and so) rather than making new ones...

Elves and Chaotic-ness: Elves don't really have laws of their own, they mostly rely on their own inbuilt sense of what's right and what's wrong. They certainly don't seem to particularly go out of their way to respect the laws of other races. The player's handbook says "they concern themselves with natural beauty, dancing and frolicking, playing and singing, unless necessity dictates otherwise." - sounds a lot more like CG than LG :groucho:.

Crusaders and paladins: personality wise, I don't see all that much difference between a LG crusader and a paladin. Both are very religious, have knightly orders (though not all are members of such orders), fight enemies of their church, go out of their way to help people in need, are natural leaders, etc.

In terms of abilities, both are nearly as skilled in combat as a fighter, can wield any type of weapon and wear any type of armor (crusaders are the only "official" class besides paladins who can wield holy avengers and gain their full benefits), can cast cleric spells (though crusaders gain access to higher level spells and gain spells more quickly), etc. Crusaders cannot turn undead or use 'lay on hands' like a paladin, but then again the inquisitor kit cannot do either of these things either; in fact, given the inquisitor's lack of spellcasting, I'd dare say a LG crusader is more similar to a kitless paladin than an inquisitor is ???.

Subraces: I didn't mean to create new ones either :(.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

Meah...I still say elves are far more odered an good than humans...

And what's with those stats from the Big Book of Elves? That is what comes when 30 pepole create a fantasy world and don't pay attention.

Look at the lifespan. In Myth Drannor, there were elves who lives tens of thousands of years. Mythanhar was well over 5000 years old at least and Shirinsnee was WAY older...

I would personally like to see Thalia far more as a Paladin (I find it fitting..and the banter :groucho: ), but hey, it is your MOD..If you want to make her a cleric, who am I to stop you? Then again, any Party Npc race/class combination poses no problem... I have experimented a bit and everthing works fine...

EDIT: Oh..allmost forgot - In neverwinter nights we had an elven paladin, so clearly in the FR there ARE elven paladins. Nobody can complain about trying to put the things from the general game world into the game. But then again, it could allways be an option...

B.T.W. - I allso changed the race modifiers and max/min stats...like this:

------------------ abracerq.2da

2DA V1.0

MIN_STR MAX_STR MIN_DEX MAX_DEX MIN_CON MAX_CON MIN_INT MAX_INT MIN_WIS MAX_WIS MIN_CHR MAX_CHR

HUMAN 3 18 3 18 3 18 3 18 3 18 3 18

DWARF 8 19 3 17 11 20 3 18 3 18 3 16

ELF 3 17 6 20 7 18 8 19 3 18 8 18

GNOME 6 18 3 18 8 18 6 18 3 18 3 18

HALF_ELF 3 18 6 18 6 18 4 18 3 18 3 18

HALFLING 7 18 7 18 10 18 6 18 3 17 3 18

HALFORC 3 20 3 18 3 19 3 16 3 17 3 18

-------------------------- abracead.2da

2DA V1.0

MOD_STR MOD_DEX MOD_CON MOD_INT MOD_WIS MOD_CHR

HUMAN 0 0 0 0 0 0

DWARF 1 -1 2 0 0 -2

ELF -1 2 -1 1 0 0

GNOME 0 0 0 1 -1 0

HALF_ELF 0 0 0 0 0 0

HALFLING -1 1 0 0 0 0

HALFORC 2 0 1 -2 -1 0

Edited by Ellderon

Nightmare, check you inbox...I sent you several things that might be usefulll (Lot's of portraits (elven female rangers, Thalia, Echtellion & a few more), sevral exported charachters (Aquae, Thaila, Echtellion) a chainmail...I think that's all)

Aquae's portrait is under work here:

http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showtopic=9600

Edited by Ellderon

Sent you additional portraits for Aquae. Here are the original versions:

P1

P2

P3

P4

B.T.W: - don't you have some internal forum where you can discuss things like quests, NPC development, banters & stuff that you don't want the other people to know aobut before the MOD is done?

In pen and paper 2nd Edition terms the crusader isn't a type of cleric; like the paladin it's an entirely seperate class. However, due to game engine limitations we're forced to implement the crusader as a cleric kit.

Priest group:

- Cleric

- Crusader

- Druid

- Monk

- Mystic

- Oracle

- Shaman

- Speciality Priest*

- War Priest

- etc

* technically many types of priest are speciality priests (even druids), but in this instance it refers to things like Morninglords of Lathander, Silverstars of Selune, etc.

The reason elves can be paladins in NWN because the game is 3rd edition, whereas BG2 is 2nd edition. 3rd edition got rid of the crusuader (and many other classes, such as the shaman and mystic), so if you're converting a 2E character to 3E, a crusader would become a paladin :D. In fact, perhaps your character could be a crusader normally, but a paladin with "controversial tweaks" installed?

Those portraits you sent me are a pretty nice selection :groucho:. We need to have 210x330 versions for the ToB epilogues, but I've seen most of these protraits before and think I may already larger versions saved to my hard disk. Oh, and f_warM is already being used for a LoI NPC - my own female paladin, Jaina ;D.

EDIT: I've definitely got a 210x330 version of the portrait you want to use for Thalia ???.

We do have a private workroom, yes :(. I've asked the forum admin to give you access.

Edited by NiGHTMARE
Guest Guest

Is there any class for elves that is LIKE a Paladin? I'm thinking NWN (or whatever else these are in) again with Champions, like NWN has the Champion of Torm which can be either Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic, can't it?

Like 2-3 more are gonna make such a big difference....

Are you... familiar with NPC development?