problem with polish letters

Guest alf

When I run emulator with Polish version of BG1 all polish letters (ąężśłÃƒÂ³ń..) are displayed incorectly :) Is it possible to correct it in next versions?

You can already try to fix it for yourself:

Use

[CharSet]

CharCount=x

Letter1=y,z

Letter2=yy,zz

Where x is the number of letters listed.

And y is the code of the letter in uppercase and z is the lowercase variant.

This should fix capitalizing special letters.

If you manage to correct ALL letters, you can also post the list of keycodes, i'll make it sticky or even include in the gemrb sources.

Guest Guest

I am sorry but im not a programist and dont know how do it:( but I have a table of those letters with its equivalents for BG1:

(bg1 letter- polish letter)

î - ą ... ĺ - Ą

ď - ć ... ć - Ć

đ - ę ... ç - Ę

ń - ł ... č - Ł

ň - ń ... ę - Ń

ô - ś ... ë - Ś

ó - ó ... é - Ó

ő - ź ... ě - Ź

ö - ż ... í - Ż

By the time i get your message, the letters go through various transformations, so there is no way i can get them right.

One doesn't have to be a programmer to get the value of the letters.

You need a hex. editor, or viewer. The file viewer in any windows commander (or similar tools: far commander, totalcommander, etc.) would do.

There is another way:

configure GemRB as test

Check GemRB.cfg.test and set it up to point to your bg2 (or bg1) game.

If you start it, it will bring up a character table, if you position your mouse over a letter, you

will see the code of that given letter.

Holender, ale gemrb jest popularny w Polsce :) Witam rodaków, chciałem Was poinformować, że problem z polskimi literkami zgłaszałem już w styczniu i od tamtego czasu wszyscy programiści starają się problem rozwiązać :D W jaki sposób zgłaszałem te błędy możecie zobaczyć na starym forum, w sekcji o kompilowaniu programu (link do starych forów jest na stronie projektu).

If you haven't understood what is written above it meens that it wasn't to you :D

Guest Guest

1. Problem with letter concern only BG1 - other infinity engine games have not such problem.

2. In GemRB directory there isnt file named "GemRB.cfg.test". How should i edit "GemRB.cfg" to start emulator in "test mode"?

Guest avenger_work
1. Problem with letter concern only BG1 - other infinity engine games have not such problem.

2. In GemRB directory there isnt file named "GemRB.cfg.test". How should i edit "GemRB.cfg" to start emulator in "test mode"?

The only thing that is 'gemrb test' specific, is that you have to use a GameType=test

instead GameType=bg1

This will not be a real test mode, rather a 'new game' setup which currently works as a character set test made for exactly your problem.

So, i guess if you got a working bg1 gemrb setup, just change the GameType entry.

Guest avenger_work

I don't think the original authors used utf-8 to encode the .tlk.

I also doubt WeiDU (the quasi standard script modder tool) would like utf-8 :)

We need to understand the original engine's formats first, then we can add more standard formats as an option.

Like replacing acm with ogg, or use utf-8 or unicode, and such.

Polish version of BG1 use some weird encoding for TLK files. BG2 IIRC use CP-1250 or ISO-8859-2.

I suppose that simplest way is write some translator which convert appropiate chars in TLK files. I did smth like that when I was writing my own BG1->BG2 converter (:)).

BTW - cheers for GemRB developers :D

Guest avenger_work

You mean, not all characters are single byte?

That would be a bit unfortunate.

Still, there is no need to convert the tlk, it is possible to convert it while loading.

I still need someone to test the character set with the provided GemRB scripts.

(gametype=test)

Guest Guest
You mean, not all characters are single byte?

That would be a bit unfortunate.

Still, there is no need to convert the tlk, it is possible to convert it while loading.

I still need someone to test the character set with the provided GemRB scripts.

(gametype=test)

Nah, all characters are one-byte wide, but there is some non-standard charset used. I've tried to convert TLK string using various encodings and all results looks messy.

Anyway, on-fly converting should be ok.

If they are one byte, then most likely they reflect the order of the font in the .bam (normal.bam) for example.

In this case no conversion is required.

But i still need the result of GemRB's charset test, OR

a downloadable polish normal.bam.

But i still need the result of GemRB's charset test, OR

a downloadable polish normal.bam.

I can email you a polish normal.bam, but from BG1+TotSC+North Tales of the Sword Coast (most pupular polish mod, I don't know if it modified normal.bam as well).

BTW, have you heard about http://www.ianout.de/, because I've noticed some similarity :)

Archived