Men Bashing for a Good Cause

Domi

I am done with those now, but she despises males because she believes herself to belong to the superior, stronger sex than they. She mirros the attitude some males have toward women - they deserve no respect, are all whiny, stupid etc. In short, she thinks that 'Men are pathetic' (ie no, she does not hate men because she was raped, abused, is a lesbian or some such stuff) :)

I am done with those now, but she despises males because she believes herself to belong to the superior, stronger sex than they. She mirros the attitude some males have toward women - they deserve no respect, are all whiny, stupid etc. In short, she thinks that 'Men are pathetic' (ie no, she does not hate men because she was raped, abused, is a lesbian or some such stuff) :)

Heh, that's good. I was worried it'd be something simple like "Men killed my family (biography) so I hate men" or somesuch. Still, I was curious as to why she's written in as to mirror what she sees as the male attitude to women; i.e. why does she take this attitude and not any other female npcs?

Because this was BioWARE's take on her; Kish and Turkish Delight expanded on it. In a nutshell, TD postulated that her family was male dominated - her father (Angelo Dosan, whom you meet in Baldur's Gate and a couple of older brothers); while no direct abuse happened, they tended to treat her as a 'girl's place is in the corner with a broom...'. Which she did not like and hence she found her way to Ysena. Ysena was an infamous mercenary, and she schooled ST in the arts of bandtry, combat and dissmissive attitude towards males.

Because this was BioWARE's take on her; Kish and Turkish Delight expanded on it. In a nutshell, TD postulated that her family was male dominated - her father (Angelo Dosan, whom you meet in Baldur's Gate and a couple of older brothers); while no direct abuse happened, they tended to treat her as a 'girl's place is in the corner with a broom...'. Which she did not like and hence she found her way to Ysena. Ysena was an infamous mercenary, and she schooled ST in the arts of bandtry, combat and dissmissive attitude towards males.

Ah. Now I see why I got confused by some of ST's banter; I thought the father and brothers referred to were meant as her blood relations from the biography, not Angelo et al. The attitude towards women in her foster family makes more sense now, considering Angelo as the head of the household!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Angelo is her real father in TD's version - the biography does not say that she is an orphan, just that she gives that impression. She is very unhappy about her 'father'. Her biography is a tough thing, because it seems to be a quick PG13 revamp of her older Biography presented by Bio before the release. That old one was a writer's nightmare, because it mixed up Shar-Teel and her mother in one woman pretty much, but was much more detailed. :) Angelo Dosan in it sired her on a refugie elven woman (Shar-teel was half-elf at the time); then Shar-Teel herself was raped... in the end, what leached into the game, was she is somehow related to Angelo. So, TD made a mix of the two and ended up with his character sketch:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?a...7&p=14561&st=15

we later discussed it, and TD agreed that beating etc was a bit too much and a bit too cliche, so we settled on the 'just neglected' as her childhood story. Her dialogues were later based off this character sketch.

When asked about her past, SHAR-TEEL has very little to say.  From the little she speaks of it can be gleaned that she is an orphan. She also seems to harbor an intense dislike for Flaming Fist mercenaries, as well as an obvious disrespect for men in general. She seems to have something to prove, and likely her childhood was not of storybook quality.
Angelo is her real father in TD's version - the biography does not say that she is an orphan, just that she gives that impression. She is very unhappy about her 'father'. Her biography is a tough thing, because it seems to be a quick PG13 revamp of her older Biography presented by Bio before the release. That old one was a writer's nightmare, because it mixed up Shar-Teel and her mother in one woman pretty much, but was much more detailed. :) Angelo Dosan in it sired her on a refugie elven woman (Shar-teel was  half-elf at the time); then Shar-Teel herself was raped...  in the end, what leached into the game, was she is somehow related to Angelo. So, TD made a mix of the two and ended up with his character sketch:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?a...7&p=14561&st=15

we later discussed it, and TD agreed that beating etc was a bit too much and a bit too cliche, so we settled on the 'just neglected' as her childhood story. Her dialogues were later based off this character sketch.

When asked about her past, SHAR-TEEL has very little to say.  From the little she speaks of it can be gleaned that she is an orphan. She also seems to harbor an intense dislike for Flaming Fist mercenaries, as well as an obvious disrespect for men in general. She seems to have something to prove, and likely her childhood was not of storybook quality.

Tsk. I have some memory of reading about that (the "original" version) but from where, I don't know. I probably mixed it up with the current Bioware biography.

Actually, while talking about Shar-Teel, one more person absolutely has to be mentioned - Cliffette. I think her flirts that form the core of Shar's flirtpack is one of the most unique pieces of writing done for a mod. Not to mention, one of the most humorous. The biggest, most winning feature is the self-irony that PC can exersise - a rare thing, since usually the PCs take themselves quite seriously :)

Guest Western Paladin

Dear All,

Total n00blar question from me. I have the most recent (version 9) BG1 NPC project download. Is any of the romance content in it? I only remember being prompted to install "Coran's Romance (rated R)". Will I later have to download the romances separately?

Thanks in advance,

Western Paladin

"I'm twenty-two now, but I won't be for long." -- Simon and Garfunkel

Archived