BGI Spellcasting Sounds

Guest Bandit

I'm still struggling to understand precisely what's wrong with the mod, sorry. You... removed some files from the package, and that caused it not to work properly? Or are you saying that with the new CHA files in the override it still uses the BG2 variants? I don't understand why you want the CHA sounds remove from the Tutusounds package.

Guest Guest

Let me give you an example: the HIT.wav files from the tutusounds\wavs2 folder.

If you run NearInfinity (NI) in BGI, and click on these HIT.wav files, at the bottom of the window it will show the path where those specific .wavs are found. In this case, these .wav files are locates in the Baldur's Gate\data\SFXSound.bif file.

If you run NI in BGII, and check the location of the HIT.wav files, they are located in the BGII- SoA\data\SFXSound.bif file.

If you check the number of HIT.wav files from BGI and BGII, there are the same number of them. So, when you run the setup-tutusound.exe, the BGI HIT.wavs override the BGII HIT.wavs and when you play BGII, only the hitsounds from BGI are heard. Great job on this, by the way.

Okay, to the spell casting sounds, this might get confusing.

If you run NI in BGI, the only casting spell sounds are CAS.wavs, located in the Baldur's Gate\data\SFXSound.bif file. There aren't any CHA.wav files anywhere in BGI.

If you run NI in BGII, you have BOTH CAS.wav files and CHA.wav files, both of which are located in the BGII- SoA\data\SFXSound.bif file. So, when spells are cast in BGII, the spell casting sounds have access to both the CAS.wav and CHA.wav files, whereas in BGI, the spell casting sounds had access to only the CAS.wav files.

What's happening when the setup-tutusounds.exe is run is done correctly. However, only half of the spell casting sounds are overwritten - only the CAS.wav files in BGII are being overwritten by the CAS.wav files from BGI. The CHA.wav files aren't touched. So, both spell casting sounds from BGI and BGII are played when casting spells.

What I think has to happen is that those CHA.wav files have to be removed. Since there aren't any CHA.wav files from BGI to overwrite the ones in BGII, the CHA.wav files from BGII must be removed.

So, if the CHA.wavs are removed from the BGII - SoA\ data\SFXSound.bif file and from the tutusounds\wavs folder, then when the setup-tutusounds.exe is run, only the BGI CAS.wavs are installed. These will overwrite the CAS.wavs in BGII and I think it'll work much like the HIT.wav file overwrite from BGI to BGII.

I think this all makes sense.

The CHA files are touched-- Tutusounds copies a load of them across, and they're just appropriately renamed BG1 casting sounds. Listening ingame, I can't hear anything wrong with the sounds, and it's definitely not playing the BG1 and BG2 casting sounds together.

Archived