Poisoning Melf's Minute Meteors

It depends on how the poison is applied. The spell calls Melf's Minute Meteors out of nowhere...and fires them.

If an assassin was going to apply poison, he would have to move so fast as to apply the poison just as the orbs came into existence.

If you treat the creation of poison as a magical act (which it generally is not for aassassin), then there is no problem with then figuring the assassin devised an alternative to Melf's Minute Meteors that creates the missiles...but already poisoned.

I think this is just a melee hit effect or somesuch. I'm sure it's also possible to poison your fists, as silly as that may seem.

Yes, one could poison one's fists...but they would then be subject to the poison themselves.

The point is that I believe Melf's Minute Meteors creates a swarm of projectiles which launch immediately upon being cast. There would be no way to hold them in abeyance to apply said poison.

The point is that I believe Melf's Minute Meteors creates a swarm of projectiles which launch immediately upon being cast.  There would be no way to hold them in abeyance to apply said poison.
It doesn't work that way in the game. You can cast MMM and keep them for hours.

I thought they shouldn't be poisonable because of this part of the spell description

This spell enables the wizard to cast small globes of fire
Yes, one could poison one's fists...but they would then be subject to the poison themselves.

The point is that I believe Melf's Minute Meteors creates a swarm of projectiles which launch immediately upon being cast. There would be no way to hold them in abeyance to apply said poison.

But this isn't the way the engine handles it. IIRC, the poison weapon ability adds both a melee and ranged hit effect for the duration. This will affect all weapons. There is no way in the engine to selectively control the valid weapons for the effects without some impossible hackery.

I agree that it's silly you can poison the meteors, energy blades, or the Black Blade of Disaster (how, again, is one supposed to poison some planar rift?), etc., but it's not easy to change.

But this isn't the way the engine handles it. IIRC, the poison weapon ability adds both a melee and ranged hit effect for the duration. This will affect all weapons. There is no way in the engine to selectively control the valid weapons for the effects without some impossible hackery.

Regular melee and ranged attacks are not a problem. One can always assume they were poisoned in some fashion off screen as it were.

I agree that it's silly you can poison the meteors, energy blades, or the Black Blade of Disaster (how, again, is one supposed to poison some planar rift?), etc., but it's not easy to change.

If you notice, that's why I gave several qualifiers as to whether it would work or not.

The first is if you consider the poison magical in nature, or physical. If physical, then it would be next to impossible to cast on a spell which would take effect immediately...ala Magic Missile or Lightning Bolt. You say the proper word, and it's off...and that's what I was thinking Melf's Minute Meteors did.

If it is magical in nature, then one could just assume its poisonous properties carried over to the spell.

And Nim I would stand corrected on the time duration...but yeah, balls of fire would be hard to poison over small metal objects.

Heh, anyway, there's my 2 cents. Decide and do what you think is best :)

Archived