Minsc says the wrong line

In this thread over at Pocketplane group, the issue of NPCs saying their SELECT_COMMON line when they initiate a dialogue under the right circumastances comes up. This occurs in the Vanilla game, probably multiple times, but most noticeably for me at least, when Minsc initiates dialogue right after Imoen is taken away by the cowled wizards. His spoken words have nothing to do with his written words.

A suggested fix, would be to play a blank .wav file to prevent Minsc from saying the incorrect line. However, then you'd have Minsc not saying anything at all.

Don't know if this is possible, however, you could have Minsc say his Unhappy/Breaking Point line which is: "Boo can stand only so much!" That would be more appropriate. However, I wouldn't mind having Minsc not say anything.

People spouting voiced lines that don't really connect with what they say is a staple of the BG games. I believe it's a mistake to interpret character soundsets entirely literally, so unless there's an outright conflict between the spoken and written lines, I'd discourage making too much fuss over it.

Archived