His World or Mine?

Domi

Having participated in an interesting discussion on another board about writing in your own and someone else's world (the argument was about which world it is easier to write in: your own or premade, like FR), I thought of a free-style challenge, with no rules but these:

-5,000 words or less story;

-authors chose their own worlds created for the purpose of that particular story or classic FR/other familiar setting;

-external referencing to anything but the body of the story is forbidden.

-it would be really cool if each author tries both FR/existing setting and original setting stories and share the thoughts on what difficulties he or she encountered and which one was easier to write.

Anyone up to it?

The 5000 words is what gives me pause. We're talking "invent a universe" in thirteen pages! Do you realize how freaking wordy I am? :D

Anyway, I'm 800 words into the semblence of something. It's occurred to me that I don't really get this part of the guidelines, though:

external referencing to anything but the body of the story is forbidden.

Since I'm not sure what that means, can you give a specific example of what you don't want? (So I can do a wordy rewrite if necessary. :) )

Hey, 5000 words isn't too much, I should be able to swing that. 

Aha! Looking foreward!

The 5000 words is what gives me pause. We're talking "invent a universe" in thirteen pages! Do you realize how freaking wordy I am? 

Anyway, I'm 800 words into the semblence of something. It's occurred to me that I don't really get this part of the guidelines, though

5K has an advantage of being easily readible format :) Plus in this case, i think it will push to focus on the story, rather than describing the world and then adding the story to it.

hey, you are ahead of the game - I so far just came up with the storylines!

No, you missed her question, Domi. Her question wasn't about the wordcount, it was about:

"external referencing to anything but the body of the story is forbidden."

(and I don't know what you mean either. Meaning, you don't want references to Drizzt or Captain Kirk in the writer's "original setting"?)

Argh, the thing ate my first post, and I forgot to replicate it in the second: what I meant is that there should not be footnotes that will provide an external source of lore (other than the story).

Ie nothing like: And then the vindercot (a)

a- vindercot is <insert lore reference on anatomy, physeology, habitat=, custom and history of vindercot>

Oh, goody. I haven't footnoted anything so far. I was just going to let the readers figure it out for themselves, or wonder what the hell I was talking about.

Of course, this doesn't mean I won't do a complete rewrite once I've had more than 5 hours of sleep. I'm not sure I know what the hell I was talking about. :)

I think nothing came out of that other site idea, so might as well just continue here :)

Yep, the idea was to write 1 original and 1 FR story to compare the experiences and challenges of doing this. And I, huh, better attend to my original story, which sort of stopped after the introductory paragraph... lol.

Archived