NPC Modding Contest!

This idea has been floating around in my head for a while. I like modding. I like reality shows where people compete against each other. So I announce a contest! You make an NPC for BG2, and I will judge it! Each week, one person will be eliminated, and I will add something to what has to be added. An example:

First Week, you have to make the CRE file, write and code the joining and leaving dialouges, and do the portrait.

Second Week: Take what you did from the First Week, and add four banters and five interjections.

Third Week: Take the stuff from the first and second weeks, and add 4 banters, 5 more interjections, and a custom item.

This will keep going until all but one is eliminated, and that person is crowned king/queen of NPC Modding!

How you enter: Post that you will enter in this topic, and add in the name of your NPC and his/her class.

At the end of the week (friday), you PM me the link to where to download your NPC.

Check this Topic for who is eliminated, and the next requirements.

Sound intiresting? I hope so!

Sounds like fun, appart from today being... almost Wednesday. If the Friday you want the CRE+ join/leave is July 22, 2005 as opposite to July 15th, I'd participate since I needed an NPC done for Kivan's mod anyway, though I did not want her to be joinable.

I also do not understand what is the point of eliminating. Firstly, you would not get that many people to start with and that number will limit the number of weeks in development. secondly, is not the point of the excersise to see more *finished* NPCs than more *abandoned* NPCs?

Okay people, I know its a bit early, but it's time for the first specs! You've got till friday to finish up, and if you finish sooner, send them my way. Here we go!

CRE file, TP2, Joining/Rejoining/Kickout Dialog, installer, 5 banters for five different people, 5 Interjections.

This maybe a tall order for some, and hardly worth getting out of bed for others, but this should be a nice starting ground.

Okay people, I know its a bit early, but it's time for the first specs! You've got till friday to finish up, and if you finish sooner, send them my way. Here we go!

CRE file, TP2, Joining/Rejoining/Kickout Dialog, installer, 5 banters for five different people, 5 Interjections.

This maybe a tall order for some, and hardly worth getting out of bed for others, but this should be a nice starting ground.

It is a bit of a tall order, especially if people are tackling these things for the first time (which I hope some of the participants will be). I'd suggest reducing the number of banters and leaving interjections for another week.

I like this idea, and I really hope some people who are trying to make an NPC for the first time give it a shot. My schedule over the next three weeks is going to be pretty rotten, so I'll be hard pressed to do an entry. That being the case, I'd like to offer my help if any participants run into trouble and need advice. Feel free to contact me at llamababe@pocketplane.net, and I'll try to assist.

Should the CRE include the text strings for the NPC's soundset and the bio? If so, I'd scrap the banters and interjections altogether. I also think you need to be more specific with your specs, at least at the start. Instead of random banters and interjections, ask for banters with specific NPCs and interjections at specific points in the game. Maybe provide a general subject for the banter.

Surely a properly constructed TP2 is the installer. Otherwise what would be the point of it?

Should the CRE include the text strings for the NPC's soundset and the bio?
Idobek's point reminded me of portraits, too. This can take up a chunk of modding time or would depend on outsourcing, unless the modder uses existing art.

I begin to see the appeal of specs with excruciating detail. :)

Well, the soundset may not actually be required, or hadn't been taken into consideration. Some of these things we're brainstorming are inherent to an NPC, but we don't usually do them in the first week, unless it's a One Day, and those aren't really done with the same quality standards. :D Now that we're thinking about it, it would be important to know the bare minimum of features that would need to be in place. A CRE fle could be a very simple task, or tons of work, depending on what has to be accomplished!

P.S. to Dragon Lord: Please post the additional updates on this contest at PPG as well in case someone who doesn't visit outside that forum is interested. We don't have your first actual spec announcement, so they wouldn't know the contest is on for real. :)

Guest Guest

I created a .cre file, the .tp2, all five banters (although I need to improve my writing skills), a "custom portrait" (I downloaded off the internet and resized), the area spawning files (he starts in Brynlaw, so I need one for chapter 6 too), and the joining/rejoining/leaving dialogues. However, I was unable to do the interjections.

Btw, how do I package my mod? I suppose through some compressing program, but what program and how do I use it?

you download win rar. You can probably find it on google, or some one can tell you the exact website (I forget it).

But just so everyone knows, I'm getting all entries now. I won't accept them tomorrow, but all day today, I am collecting entries. The results will be posted on monday.

Archived