Which Mod/s?

Guest Fallin

Guest Fallin

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the world of BG2 and would like to know which mod/s would be best suited to a greenhorn like me! Which are the essential must try tweaks / mods? :)

Heh, this is always a tough question to answer because so much depends on what you want from the game--especially in the case where you've never played. :)

I'm not a 'OMG you must play it first without mods!' advocate, but it might be a good idea in this case to try it and see where you'd like to have a different game. Perhaps you'll want new NPCs, more quests, cosmetic changes or different rule systems.

Guest Fallin
Heh, this is always a tough question to answer because so much depends on what you want from the game--especially in the case where you've never played. :borg:

I'm not a 'OMG you must play it first without mods!' advocate, but it might be a good idea in this case to try it and see where you'd like to have a different game. Perhaps you'll want new NPCs, more quests, cosmetic changes or different rule systems.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I have played the game...once. I suppose I'm interested in classes, equipment and quests :) That kind of thing I thought the Sound And Silence mod looked interesting. There seems to be many bugfixes and tweaks is there one that stands out?? :D

Thanks for the speedy reply! I have played the game...once. I suppose I'm interested in classes, equipment and quests :) That kind of thing I thought the Sound And Silence mod looked interesting. There seems to be many bugfixes and tweaks is there one that stands out?? :D

Song & Silence is a good choice; you will probably also be interested in Cleric Remix--once we get the bugs worked out, that is.

G3 Tweaks has so many things you can change that there's bound to be something in there that'll catch your eye. For similar mods, you might want to check out Ding0 Tweak and Ease of Use. One Pixel Productions is also rather groovy.

For quest mods, I'd recommend Unfinished Business. G3 Anniversary is silly, tongue-in-cheek, and will break immersion, so I don't recommend it for everyone. If you don't mind the fourth wall breakage you'll have a lot of fun with it. Quest Pack will be a good mod, but we're waiting for Sim to complete the long-awaited v2 with many bugfixes.

I'd also highly recommend Oversight, as it contains many items that I would consider bugfixes. If you don't already have Baldurdash, grab it.

For all mods, but the tweak packs in particular I highly recommend reading the documentation over first and picking out which components you will want. Theres some good stuff in a lot of the tweak packs, but theres also lots of stuff I don't personally like. I kinda doubt I'm alone in being picky about which things I want. In general, read the documentation before installing. That way you know what you are getting.

[self promoting ad manager]Other good tweak packs are Refinements and The Bigg Tweak Pack (both links are in my signature). As above, choose with care your components.[/self promoting ad manager]

Also, read all pinned topics in the mods' fora, as they usually contain important information :)

Guest Fallin
[self promoting ad manager]Other good tweak packs are Refinements and The Bigg Tweak Pack (both links are in my signature). As above, choose with care your components.[/self promoting ad manager]

Also, read all pinned topics in the mods' fora, as they usually contain important information  :D

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I've gone with Song And Silence, Unfinished Business, & Quest Pack. I've used the bugfixes pack as well. :borg: Looking good so far :)

That and not everyone on the internet comes from the same background. Irony and sarcasm are extremely uncommon/non-existent in certain cultures, so you can't expect those people to automatically realize when such unfamiliar (to them) forms of humour are being used.

It might be a matter of personal taste, but I liked The Darkest Day much more than Unfinished Business.  :)

Lol, i didn't even try UB.

Actually, I played only 2 mods: TDD and Epic Endeavours.

Nowadays TDD would be called crappy, but, honestly, which mod isn't :borg:

At least the bugs in TDD inspired me to start Item Checker, which is now known as DLTCEP :D

Beauty, sarcasm what have you is in the eye of the beholder.

TDD is the best mod out there next to SoS and CtB. :)

Depends what are you looking for? NPCs, tweaks, quests, larger modules?

Some mods I like, besides mine of course, are Keto, UB, Fade, Yasraena.

Archived