Bad Timing

Buck Naked

I've noticed several times in the game where added banters have come up at very bad times. For instance, last night when I arrived in Baldur's Gate for the first time, Garrick immediately starts chatting me up about what to see in town, then gets interrupted by Elminster's speach from the original saga, and as a result Garrick's conversation gets lost without being completed. The same thing happened in another game when Eldoth started talking about getting Skie when we got to the Silvershield Estate, and some citizen comes up and interrupts with rumors of war with Amn. And in yet another game, Imoen's birthday speach in the Elfsong Tavern gets lost when we are interrupted by some jerk asking us if we are adventurers. I also have the "pause all dialogue" option installed, but I've noticed that it seems to fail half of the time, even getting me killed once or twice.

I've also noticed that in the multiplayer game my friends and I have been playing on someone's home LAN, whenever the host/spawn gets a dialogue that came from the project, it only appears on HIS computer, and on everyone else's computer, we're all just standing around, without text or dialogue. Fortunately, since we're all in the same building, we can all just gather around his machine to read the text, but it is an inconvenience.

Buck, the problem with non-pausing dialogues comes from the scripts implemented by the musical pack to avoid the background music and the dialogue music from overlapping. Cam had suggested a possible solution and we will be trying to resolve this issue.

As far as the multiplayer - I think - and if I am incorrect let the more knowledgeable modders correct me, but could it be that BG1NPC installed only on one machine? If someone knows of a different source of the problem and how to avoid it, please let me know, and if it can be resolved, it will be.

Well, that first bit certainly makes sense, thank you. Wish I had known about this ahead of time, I wouldn't have installed the music. As it is, instead of enhancing the BG1NPC experience, it is actually frequently getting in its own way....

As to the second bit, no sorry, we installed everything on the host, then copied and cloned it to all the workstations, so BG1NPC is installed on all machines in the network.

Then I honestly do not know, but I will ask around to see if anyone has multiplayer specific experience. Is this happening only for dialogues with PC participation or does NPC-NPC banter shows up on one machine only?

Then I honestly do not know, but I will ask around to see if anyone has multiplayer specific experience. Is this happening only for dialogues with PC participation or does NPC-NPC banter shows up on one machine only?

Imoen is our only NPC, so I really couldn't tell you. But when we got to Beregost for the first time, only the host was able to see her immediate interjection upon entering the map.

I've noticed that cloning an install will occasionally prevent you from being able to access old savegames, and that could be something like what is happening here... maybe if you tried to clone a clean install to each machine and than have everyone manually install BGI NPC it might help.

I've noticed several times in the game where added banters have come up at very bad times.  For instance, last night when I arrived in Baldur's Gate for the first time, Garrick immediately starts chatting me up about what to see in town, then gets interrupted by Elminster's speach from the original saga, and as a result Garrick's conversation gets lost without being completed.  The same thing happened in another game when Eldoth started talking about getting Skie when we got to the Silvershield Estate, and some citizen comes up and interrupts with rumors of war with Amn.  And in yet another game,  Imoen's birthday speach in the Elfsong Tavern gets lost when we are interrupted by some jerk asking us if we are adventurers.  I also have the "pause all dialogue" option installed, but I've noticed that it seems to fail half of the time, even getting me killed once or twice. 

I've also noticed that in the multiplayer game my friends and I have been playing on someone's home LAN, whenever the host/spawn gets a dialogue that came from the project, it only appears on HIS computer, and on everyone else's computer, we're all just standing around, without text or dialogue.  Fortunately, since we're all in the same building, we can all just gather around his machine to read the text, but it is an inconvenience.

Did you install the 'pause all dialogue' tweak before BG1NPC project? Because if the BG1NPC project dialogue is non-pausing by default (because the vanilla BG1 lacks the flags for pausing/non pausing), that's why only the player getting the dialogue sees it (= thats how non-pausing dialogue works). In any case is seems to me that the pausing/non-pausing flag is set wrong in BG1 NPC project files. I don't have BG1 currently installed, so I can't check that out.

Did you install the 'pause all dialogue' tweak before BG1NPC project? Because if the BG1NPC project dialogue is non-pausing by default (because the vanilla BG1 lacks the flags for pausing/non pausing), that's why only the player getting the dialogue sees it (= thats how non-pausing dialogue works). In any case is seems to me that the pausing/non-pausing flag is set wrong in BG1 NPC project files. I don't have BG1 currently installed, so I can't check that out.

However, if Tweaks detects the Music Pack it leaves the banter dialogues un-pausing.

Archived