mace of disruption names

Are you being argumentative for the sake of it, or are you not seeing/disagreeing with my point?

Do you not think that some people might be confused if their Long Sword +1 is just called Long Sword, even though it still has the original icon? I do. But I don't think most people would notice the dropping of +x from unique item names, and if they did, are less likely to worry. Partially because they are more likely to read the description (at least the stat block).

Er, I'm not meaning for that to sound rude, I just can't tell. :)

Are you being argumentative for the sake of it, or are you not seeing/disagreeing with my point?

No, but I don't like inconsistency, and I think there needs to be some standard. Either we take advantage of the item name to provide metagame information (the exact enchantment level, THAC0, or whatever), or we remove it completely and let the player rely on other factors. Sure, we can have a million optional components: "What percentage of your items do you want to convey metagame information in the name?" But.

Do you not think that some people might be confused if their Long Sword +1 is just called Long Sword, even though it still has the original icon?

Not at all, given that:

a) You're already said that players identify magical items by their different icons. The Long Sword +1 has a different icon, so we know it's not a regular Long Sword.

b) Magical items have to be identified, which is also rather a giveaway. And if you're purchasing them at shops, they're not stacked with the normal variants.

c) If the worst comes to the worst and people still haven't figured it out, item descriptions are there to be read, and this only has to happen once or twice before they begin to associate the icon.

I'd like to chime in on Andyr's side of things here. To me it seems that you can have a long sword, and there are a bunch more. So a longsword that strikes a bit harder/faster/whatever due to magic is called Long Sword +1. Then you have Arbane's Sword. Is it Arbane's Sword +2? Does that mean there's an Arbane's Sword +4 floating around somewhere? Could I commission a few Arbane's Sword +1s for my bodyguards?

If anything, I would go the route of having its name be "Arbane's Sword", then the description would be something like:

Arbane's Sword

Short Sword +2

Story here.

STATS!

After all, people name their swords and stuff, even if they're not magical. What if the PC picks up a long sword named Jordo's Whacker? Are we going to name each individual long sword? No, so all these individual long swords fall into the generic category of Long Sword. Same goes for Long Swords +1 throughout the game. There're too many to have them all named, even though each one is unique.

Anyways, I'm not sure I've made much of a point here, so I'll quit my rambling while I'm ahead. Or while the deficit's not too huge. Yeah.

Personally, I don't mind the +1 on item titles, but I dislike seeing it on a named item (it's weird I know. Too much Monty Haul AD&D in my past). However, if you really want to remove all references to "+x" in a weapon title, you could remove all those +x's and just add the tag "Enchanted" to the front. Meaning this is a magical weapon/shield/suit of armour, but it's not so important as to have its own name.

I would have to say "+1" or whatever is the same thing as giving an item a unique name for all reasonable intents and purposes. That said, I'd like to see the "+x" part excluded from the names of already named items but implemented for generic enchanted stuff.

Archived