Nymphs

Apologies if this is already a known issue. I noticed that nymphs are still using a male voice when casting.

On a side note, I'd like to suggest not changing the thrown icon for Azure edge +3 since the other melee/ranged weapons ingame do not share this behaviour. It should be adjusted for ALL weapons or not at all. If anyone actually wants to spend the time going through all those icons I would reccomend using the thrown axe icons from BG1 (set to the appropriate color). They actually look good and would be a legitimate improvement.

Gender: Female creatures get female casting voices. Gender: Neither creatures don't get casting voices. Any other gender creature gets male casting voices. Unfortunately, the nymph has to be Gender: Summoned, and so it gets the male casting voice.

As for the icons, I agree. That said, it's not hard at all to do a mass update so axes, daggers, and the one hammer use the fugly icons for ranged abilities, but there's no way introducing new icons should be considered a bugfix.

Is there any way to change the 2DA files so that all Gender: Summoned creatures use the female summoning voice? This is really a poor solution though.

It might be possible to write a script to limit the number of summoned creatures and then set the nymphs to Gender: Female.

I'm fairly sure all the gender snafu is hard-coded. Sucks. I've never tried overriding the casting animation sound (for CREs with ANISND 2DAs), but these things tend not to work so I'll just assume it's no good.

I thought of various methods to toggle the nymph gender (none of which should even be suggested for a fixpack), but it's just too difficult to get something that works 100% of the time.

Various dragons look to be set up to use custom casting sounds, but it looks like they're for when the spell actually fires off, rather than the incantation. And, of course, they probably don't work anyway.

Only way I can think of to fix nymphs involves removing the summoning cap. We *might* be able to get away with fixing simulacrums and projected images.

IIRC, ToB dragons both have conjure and cast sequence sounds. But the way most of the sounds work seems to be that everything will play together (sequence sounds, CRE soundset sounds, casting sounds, and every other WAV in the game). So I don't think there's an easy way to override any single sound.

As for illusions, they have to be illusionary so that dispel magic and death spell and lots of the items in the game will work (they all target EFF file DESTSELF to Gender: Illusionary).

what about changing it into something that does count against the summoning limit and already is coded as female and changing the animation, spells and script to match Nymphs? Or would that be even more of a pain in the ass than my first suggestion?

Archived