Subraces

Caedwyr

You may want to check out Welverin's subrace mod for ideas.

Ok, here is a bit better organized list. The creatures listed here are all native to the Prime Material Plane of Toril, or are common-uncommon visitors. I have not included the very rare visitors, or races exclusively native to other crystal spheres. (note: KENDER ARE EVERYWHERE):

Subraces first:

Human:

Vistana (gypsies)

Tiefling (Half-tanar'ri/baatezu crossed with a human, so 1/4 or less tanar'ri/baatezu)

Aasimar (human-rilmani/eldarin/guardianal/aasimon hybrid, so 1/2 or less rilmani/eldarin/guardianal.)

Genasi: (Air, Water, Earth, Fire)

Swanmay (female only)

Spirit Folk- human/Kara-Tur spirit hybrid. Very close ties to humans, can be considered a subrace. ( Bamboo, River, Sea) (NOTE: Children born of Oriental River/Spirit Dragons + Human are Spirit Folk not half-dragons)

Ruvkova-- Elemental human native to the inner planes, not uncommon to pay visit to prime material planes: Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Ice, Ooze, Lightning, Ash, Dust, Radiant, Vacuum, Smoke, Magma, Mineral, Salt, Steam

Elf:

Aquatic (Sea)

Drow

Moon (silver, grey)

Gold (high)

Sylvan (wood, wild)

Avariel

Rockseeker

Lythari (silver shadows, type of lycanthrope)

Fey'ri (sun elf- tanar'ri hybrid, only seen in 3rd edition so far)

Half-Elf:

Aquatic

Averial

Drow

High

Grey

Rockseeker

Shadow

Snow

Sylvan

Dwarf:

Jungle

Hill (gold)

Mountain (shield)

Deep

Sundered

Duergar

Gully

Arctic (Inugaakalikurit)

Urdunnir (Orecutter)

Korobokuru (Oriental Dwarf)

Ishikorobokuru (Arctic Oriental Dwarf)

Gnome:

Rock

Svirfneblin

Tinker (Jan looks like he is one of these)

Forest

Spriggan

Halfling:

Hairfoot

Stout

Tallfolk

Kender

Half-Orc:

Half-Orc: Ondonti

Tanarukk (orc-Tanar'ri hybrid, only seen in 3rd edtion material so far)

Next up, the Half-breeds. Some of these could easily be put with the subraces:

Half-Asuras- Mix of Asuras and Humans

Manotaur- human minotaur cross. Distinct from minotaur.

Half-Dragon: Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper, Brass, Amethyst, Sapphire, Emerald, Topaz, Crystal, Red, Blue, Green, Black, White, Deep, Mist, Shadow, Mercury, Steel,

Half-Ogre: Mix of humans and Ogres

Ogrillion: Mix of Ogres and orcs

Half-Trolls: Mix of human and troll

Finally, creatures that could possiblly be in a PC's ancestory, or alternate races for the PC. but aren't listed above:

Possible Ancestors

Mercurial-- look very similiar to humans, but from hyper-reality. Not rare to visit prime material plane.

Nymph-- Can interbreed with humans/demihumans: Sea, Wood, Grain

Yuan-ti-- Breed with humans to get more Yuan-ti

(Greater) Doppleganger-- can breed with any human/demihuman

Mongrelmen: Mix of humans, orcs, gnolls, ogres, dwarves, hobgoblins, elves, bugbears, bullywugs, and many others.

Satyr: Male counterpart to Nymphs, can interbreed with humans/demihumans

Selkie: Selkies and humans/demihumans can interbreed, but the child is always a selkie.

Sirine: Sirines need to interbreed with (demi)humans, but the child is always female and a sirine. However, some physical traits of the opposite parent do show up in the baby Sirine.

Sylph: Sylphs are all female, and must mate with a (demi)human. They favour Elves, but will also choose humans and halflings.

Tritons can interbreed with all (demi)humans

Hengeyokai: carp, cat, crab, crane, dog, drake, fox, hare, monkey, raccoon dog, rat, and sparrow.

I have more detailed information on almost all of these different creatures, so if you need some info on any particular mix feel free to ask. I've probably missed some, but that is all I could come up with at the moment.

Hengeyokai are a race of humanoids/animals from Kara-tur. They are similiar to natural lycanthropes (they can control their shapeshifting, and are not dependant on the time of the month), but with a more eastern flavour. Their alignment depends somewhat on the type of Hengeyokai. Their three forms are human, animal, and hybrid. Their shapeshifting is considered non-magical.

I can post more info in a few hours when I can refer to my resource books.

Yep I know about Welverin's mod, and I was initially going to ask his permission to include a modified version in LoI. However, Andyr pointed out that for some reason the subraces in his mod seem to have their 3rd Edition stats, so we decided starting from scratch would be best :D

Anyway, thanks a whole heap for all the info! :D I noticed Wood & Wild Elves aren't on your list, but I thought all subraces of Elves could have children with humans?

All the Faerunian Half-Elven subraces will be included. I was thinking of not including half-Aquatic and half-Avariel, but then I found out that half-Aquatic usually can't breathe underwater and half-Avariel don't have wings, so I decided I would :D

For the Human with an Elven "ancestor", that'll probably just be either generic Elf and Drow, because I figure the dilluted gifts of other subraces would work out pretty much the same.

As I said before, the list is quite incomplete. I'll make up a list of crossbreads and hopefully organize things a bit better. Wood Elves and Wild Elves are both ones I forgot (I did most of the list off the top of my head).

Note: I'm currently doing up a compiliation of all the various 2nd Editon Monstrous Manuals, Compendiums, Indexes, and other Monster write-ups, so I'm running across things like this all the time. Expect to see some weird/unheard of combinations and races.

Also, just to confirm you would like to stick to combinations that would be native to Toril (so no other crystal sphere/prime material plane races?)

Okay thanks again for your help :D

Yep, I would like to try to stick to natives of Toril/non-natives who are still relatively common there. After all, Bhaal was only worshipped by the inhabitants of Toril; as far as we know he didn't have followers in any other Prime spheres. So as deities of other worlds are extremely unlikely to let a foreign god "visit", that's the only Prime world he'd be able to visit, and thus impregnate the inhabitants of.

Of course inhabitants of other worlds could visit Toril themselves, but for most species that's so rare we may as well just ignore it.

First off, the more complete description of Hengeyokai. The updated list will be posted when I am finished with compiling it.

Hengeyokai are a race of intelligent shapechangers. Several subraces

exist, each representing a different type of animal.

Hengeyokai can be shukenja, kensai, bushi, or wu jen. They

can never be samurai or ninja, since they are not human. The

minimum and maximum ability requirements for a hengeyokai

are summarized on a table below.

A hengeyokai can shapeshift between three different forms: animal,

biped, and human. Each hengeyokai can assume only one

animal form. The most common are carp, cat, crab, crane, dog,

drake, fox, hare, monkey, raccoon dog, rat, and sparrow. Each

animal form has its own alignment restrictions and special abilities;

consult the Hengeyokai Creatures table below.

When in animal form, the hengeyokai is indistinguishable from

normal animals of its kind. The change in form is genuine. Hence,

the animal form appears normal and real to a caster who uses

spells that reveal illusions.

When in bipedal form, the hengeyoki looks like a humanoid

animal. He stands on his hind appendages to the height of a normal

man. The front appendages (wings, paws, or fins) change

into hands, capable of gripping and using normal weapons. The

rest of the body retains the animal’s general appearance, including

fur, feathers, wings, a tail, and other characteristic features.

When in human form, the hengeyokai looks like a normal human

being. Like his animal form, the human form is genuine and

cannot be detected by spells that reveal illusions. However, the

human form always retains one or more distinctive features of the

animal form. For instance, a sparrow hengeyokai may have a

pointed nose, and a rat hengeyokai may have beady eyes and

long whiskers. (The DM determines such identifying features.)

Hengeyokai have their own language, which is the same regardless

Here's a couple things I've found out, in case you haven't got them:

- Orcs can have children with virtually any humanoid or demihuman race, with the notable exception of Elves. They tend to favor their Orcish parent, so (for example) a half-Dwarf/Orc would usually only be slightly smaller than a half-Human/Orc.

- Satyrs are another species who can breed with Humans (plus Elves, Dryads and maybe some others). In fact they have to, because female Satyrs don't exist.

Ok, next up comments on the avatars and problems with specific races/subraces:

Subraces first:

Human:

Vistana (gypsies): Problem is they lose all their special abilities when not with their family and become normal humans.

Tiefling: Wider range of common skin & hair colours

Aasimar: Wider range of common skin & hair colours

Genasi: (Air, Water, Earth, Fire): different colour skin and hair is only major difference from normal humans

Swanmay (female only): Human form can be done, not sure about swan form.....

Spirit Folk: Consider as a human subrace: golden or pale yellow skin; blonde, light brown, or grey hair; subrace of spirit folk: Bamboo, River, Sea (NOTE: Children born of Oriental River/Spirit Dragons + Human are Spirit Folk)

Ruvkova: Elemental Human common to inner planes, not uncommon to visit prime material planes. Human appearance with skin and hair colour variation based on type.

Half-Asuras: Mix of Asuras and Humans: Similiar to Aasimar, with some minor difference, human subrace.

Elf:

Aquatic (Sea): Can't stay out of water very long or die of stat drain

Drow: lose abilities when out of Underdark, doable otherwise

Moon (silver, grey)

Gold (high)

Sylvan (wood, wild)

Avariel: No wings on avatars, problem with flying for game mechanics

Rockseeker: Tall Elf, Silver hair

Lythari (silver shadows, type of lycanthrope): Wolf form- silver fur, elf form- pale skin silver hair. Prefer wolf form. Need to do special ritual to turn normal elf into Lythari, also can interbreed amongst selves.

Fey'ri (sun elf- tanar'ri hybrid, only seen in 3rd edition so far): Can be done, very similar to Tiefling, but elf version, some differences.

Half-Elf: All doable

Aquatic: Can stay out of water like normal people, dehydrates at 2x rate of normal human though

Averial: Very rare to have wings

Drow

High

Grey

Rockseeker

Shadow

Snow: Rarer variety due to lack of humans in area, but not totally unheard of

Sylvan

Dwarf: All doable,

Jungle: Dark skinned

Hill (gold)

Mountain (shield)

Deep, some nasty side effects when exposed to light, but doable

Sundered

Duergar

Gully

Arctic (Inugaakalikurit): Bluish white skin, or dark red, white hair

Urdunnir (Orecutter): Look like mountain dwarfs, females have no facial hair

Korobokuru (Oriental Dwarf): Appearances fit within normal range of dwarves

Ishikorobokuru (Arctic Oriental Dwarf): appearances are similiar to normal arctic dwarf

Gnome: All doable

Rock

Svirfneblin

Tinker (Minoi): (Jan seems like he is one of these)

Forest

Spriggan: Gnome sized normally, can become hill giant size and appearance with special ability, probably doable with Hill Giant graphic from IWD

Halfling: All doable

Hairfoot

Stout

Tallfolk

Kender

Half-Orc:

Half-Ondonti: Look the same as a regular half-orc

Tanarukk (orc-Tanar'ri hybrid, only seen in 3rd edtion material so far): Physical description not compatible with any in game. Not doable.

Next up, the Half-breeds. Some of these could easily be put with the subraces:

Manotaur: human minotaur cross. Distinct from minotaur.: Not doable, lack of appropriate avatars and paper doll

Half-Dragon: Avatar can be done, looks like tall, lithe humanoid with some elfin like features. Skin colour is pigmented with that of parent dragon's colour. Humanoid face with slightly reptillian features.

Half-Ogre: Mix of humans and Ogres: Big, ugly humans. Doable

Ogrillion: Mix of Ogres and orcs: Look like big ugly orcs. Probably doable

Half-Trolls: Mix of human and troll: Could not find any info--- HELP NIGHTMARE!

Finally, creatures that could possiblly be in a PC's ancestory, but aren't listed above:

Possible Ancestors

Mercurial: look very similiar to humans, but from hyper-reality. Not rare to visit prime material plane.: Appear as humans, ability to step out of skin similiar to skindancer, but generally non-evil. Also completely unrelated to skin dancer. Probably a bit overpowered for game though.

Nymph: Can interbreed with humans/demihumans: Sea, Wood, Grain: can only be used as parent, not playable race due to nature of creature.

Yuan-ti: Breed with humans to get more Yuan-ti: Yuan-ti appearance, can't have human with Yuan-ti blood since Yuan-ti is always dominiant

(Greater) Doppleganger: can breed with any human/demihuman: Half-Greater Doppleganger inherit all abilities and potential from both parents. (Shapeshifting from doppleganger + whatever racial abilities/gifts from other parent)

Mongrelmen: Mix of humans, orcs, gnolls, ogres, dwarves, hobgoblins, elves, bugbears, bullywugs, and many others.: Appear as a very ugly mix of one or more parent race. Doable

Satyr: Male counterpart to Nymphs, can interbreed with humans/demihumans. No appropriate avatar/paperdoll

Selkie: Selkies and humans/demihumans can interbreed, but the child is always a selkie. Not doable, need seal form + human form.

Sirine: Sirines need to interbreed with (demi)humans, but the child is always female and a sirine. However, some physical traits of the opposite parent do show up in the baby Sirine. Possible, but use Sirine avatar which may not be able to show weapons. Also need to be near water or wither and die

Sylph: Sylphs are all female, and must mate with a (demi)human, babies always female and a sylph. They favour Elves, but will also choose humans and halflings.: Can fly, problem with wings and appropriate avatar. Not doable

Tritons: can interbreed with all (demi)humans: Tritons impossible since they need to be underwater, but offspring may be similiar to half aquatic elves in that they can breath above water. Half-triton would be distinct from half-aquatic elf

Hengeyokai: Human form is easy, need biped forms + animal forms and not all of these are appropriate/present. Note, there are no Human-Hengeyokai hybrids since the Hengeyokai half is always dominant.

I have more detailed information on almost all of these different creatures, so if you need some info on any particular mix feel free to ask.

Yep, the list definately needs to be trimmed quite a bit. There are several almost duplicates on the list, and a number of others are undoable. This is basically an unfiltered list of all the possibilities. Now it needs to be trimmed down.

Proposed Cuts (1st round):

Human Subraces to be cut:

Vistani

Swanmay

Ruvkova

Half-Asuras

Elf Subraces to be cut:

Aquatic

Avarial

Half-Elf Subraces to be cut:

Shadow

Snow

Rockseeker

Dwarf Subraces to be cut:

Urdunnir (Orecutter):

Ishikorobokuru (Arctic Oriental Dwarf):

Half-Orc Subraces to be cut:

Tanarukk

Half-Breeds to be Cut:

Manotaur

Possible Ancestors to be cut as playable races:

All of them

(note that only the Sylph, Hengeyokai, Sirine, Selkie are out for being a somewhat distant ancestor since all of these races breed true when intermarrying with other races)

I also have some reservations about Half-Dragons and Half-Ogres, since I'm not sure where they should be put with regards to the main race choice.

Query on the Swanmay:

Is it possible to use the Eagle animation, or one of the other birds? The reason I ask, in the Zakhara supplement they have an analogue to Swanmay, but it can include a few other bird types, and not just swanmay. As a result, if the picture for the flying bird animation works, you could possibly use that.

Yes, actually the Eagle animation does work so it could be doable. The druidic Sorcerer kit includes a shapechange to eagle form, but it has a couple of issues. One problem is that the eagle is given "no collision detection" so it can fly over unpassable terrain. The problem with this, is that it allows the bird to fly through walls and indoor structures. Of course, a simple solution would be to make the transformation outdoors only, but then you have problems with not being able to fly anywhere in the underdark or the Saughin city. If someone can come up with solutions for the flying problem, then I'd be quite pleased to add Avariel and Swanmays (or Eaglemays as the case may be) back onto the list.

Archived