Gauntlets of Ex. Spec. unusable by Barbarians.

From the Baldurdash readme:

It resolves usability bugs with these gauntlets. Though it is described as usable by fighters, paladins and rangers, dual-classed Assassins and Bounty Hunters to Fighters could not use them though dualled Swashbucklers to Fighters could, and Monks could use them, though Barbarians, who are far closer to fighters, are restricted.

Given the serious oversights present with the original item I would argue that the exclusion of Barbarians was probably an oversight, too. Also, KD was normally pretty good about checking with bioware to see if such things were really bugs.

I agree that anything which isn't explicitly confirmed with Bioware, we should assume was the judgment call of someone no better informed than us.

That said, the messed up dual-classes indicate Bioware clearly made some mistakes with the Gauntlets, and I can't think of any reason why barbarians should be unable to use them if rangers, including stalkers and archers, and monks who can wear no armor at all can use them.

Edit: The post I was responding to has been deleted, leaving who or what I'm agreeing with very mysterious. :)

That said, the messed up dual-classes indicate Bioware clearly made some mistakes with the Gauntlets, and I can't think of any reason why barbarians should be unable to use them if rangers, including stalkers and archers, and monks who can wear no armor at all can use them.
I guess it depends if you think monks should be able to use them or not. The oddity here is that the Barbarian flag was set, which is a very rare thing with the default files (since they only really had to toggle fighter to control the barbarian, there are few cases where they ever needed to have fighter: yes and barbarian: no). The other problems were just kit-related (falling in different bytes), but there's no real clear indication of the intent. As stated, there's at least one other item that follows the Fighter/Paladin/Ranger but not Barbarian theme, but I'm not really in the mood to go on the hunt (this is so minor that any consensus here is fine). Nobody plays Barbarian so I'll just nod: Barbarians should be able to use these gauntlets.
Edit: The post I was responding to has been deleted, leaving who or what I'm agreeing with very mysterious.
Sorry. I really was getting too worked up, spouting unjustified opinions and what-not. You were too quick on the draw. For those who came late, I used the opportunity to post unprovoked derision of Baldurdash and Kevin Dorner. I was in a hurry.

Yeah, I'd agree here and allow barbs to where the guantlets--especially given that barbarians can already use the other combat-enhancing ones. Fixed in alpha 6.

And yeah, we shouldn't take the judgment calls of others to be gospel, but we also shouldn't be afraid to make changes based on logic and consistency.

Archived