Berserker Minsc Mini-Mod

Drew

I did up a little something that kits Minsc with a slightly altered berserker kit for rangers. It brings his rage more in line with a starndard berserker rage (in other words he doesn't attack the party any more) and removes his spell casting. It is compatible with SoA, ToB and Tutu. I'll go ahead and post the kit description here so you can tell if you actually want to bother downloading this thing. :) Here it is:

BERSERKER:

This is a warrior who is in tune with his animalistic side and, during combat, can acheive an ecstatic state of mind that will enable him to fight longer, harder and more savagely than any human has a right to. Opponents on the battlefield will be unsettled when they see the savage and inhuman element of the berserker's personality.

Advantages:

May use Enrage ability once per day per 4 levels starting with one use at level 1. This grants the berserker +2 STR and DEX for 10 rounds. While enraged, the berserker gains immunity to Charm, Hold, Fear, Maze, Imprisonment, Stun, and Sleep. The berserker also gains 15 temporary HP which are lost at the end of his rage, potentially killing him.

Disadvantages:

The berserker gains no spell casting ability.

It's currently hosted over at Sorceror's Place

The Wizard was also kind enough to mirror this for me so you can also get it here:

http://iegmc.mirror.intermedia.com.sg/drew

ftp://mirror.intermedia.com.sg/pub/iegmc/drew

http://iegmc.tiefighter.org/drew

I released another version that fixes a small bug so anybody using v1 might want to download it again. (Minsc wasn't getting his stun immunity) It also changes the email adress in the readme to one that will actually, uh, work.

Yep. I'm currently working on a 3.5e pseudo-conversion and I'm working on some spell rebalancing as well. I'm also working on setting ranged weapons to work more like they did in BG1. (Enchanted bows actually do more damage than unenchanted bows, etc.)

This is a really neat mod. Congrats, Drew.

I was wondering if it'll be compatible with the revised HLAs part of Refinements. My guess is that Minsc will continue to get the new ranger HLAs from that, but I'd like it if you could confirm that for me.

Also, the enrage abilities are cumulative, so if you cast it three times Minsc's strength goes up to 24. Not a problem, but seems a little odd.

Also, when I levelled Minsc up from 7 to 8, it still said that he gained 1 priest spell. He didn't, of course, but it still mentioned that he'd gained it.

These aren't complaints, just observations. I think your mod, despite it being small, makes a huge and positive difference to my fave character.

Thanks a bunch. :)

Minsc will get the default Ranger HLA tables from Refinements. I thought about doing up an optional component that gives him the normal refinements table but also adds the "greater warcry" HLA from their standard berserker kit, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. You would need to have Refinements installed first for that component to work. I don't think I can do anything about the level 7/8 message. That is when rangers typically gain spellcasting. You shouldn't see the message again. (Except possibly when you gain level 3 druid spells.) I'll get the rage fixed today and will have it up on SP and The Wizard's mirror ASAP. You won't need to install the mod again to use the fix. Just drop spin117 into your override and you'll be good to go. I'm also open to suggestions about any other changes you'd like to see. Thanks for the feedback!

Minsc will get the default Ranger HLA tables from Refinements.  I thought about doing up  an optional component that gives him the normal refinements table but also adds the "greater warcry" HLA from their standard berserker kit, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  You would need to have Refinements installed first for that component to work.    I don't think I can do anything about the level 7/8 message.  That is when rangers typically gain spellcasting.  You shouldn't see the message again.  (Except possibly when you gain level 3 druid spells.)  I'll get the rage fixed today and will have it up on SP and The Wizard's mirror ASAP.    You won't need to install the mod again to use the fix.  Just drop spin117 into your override and you'll be good to go.  I'm also open to suggestions about any other changes you'd like to see.  Thanks for the feedback!

Coo, that was quick.

The spell thing really doesn't matter, since you know he doesn't get spells. It's not like you're sat there scratching your head wondering where his spell has gone. :)

I'm pleased to see that his cumulative rage will be fixed. That and the spell message were really the only things that I thought needed changing from the current version. It's also nice to know that he'll get some refined HLA goodness from, erm, Refinements (your mod being installed before Refinements in my mod install order).

It'll be so nice to be able to use Minsc's berserk ability once again. I remember when I was playing the first Baldur's Gate, way back, and he'd be hacking away at my party members. How useless an ability is that!

I'll be very interested in seeing what else you come up with in future, Drew.

All the best. :D

Done, and it should be up on SP and The Wizard's mirror soon. They are both really quick so it should be ready for download soon. Give them a few days. Now if you try to use Minsc's rage while Minsc is already enraged the ability will be wasted, so don't do that. :)

EDIT: About the HLA issue. Any custom kit that uses the standard HLA tables for the base class (like I do in this mod) will get the trueclass refinements HLA tables. If they use a custom table (I don't currently do this) than they will get whatever the custom table gives.

Done, and it should be up on SP and The Wizard's mirror soon.  They are both really quick so it should be ready for download soon.  Give them a few days.  Now if you try to use Minsc's rage while Minsc is already enraged the ability will be wasted, so don't do that. :)

EDIT: About the HLA issue.  Any custom kit  that uses the standard HLA tables for the base class (like I do in this mod) will get the trueclass refinements HLA tables.  If they use a custom table (I don't currently do this)  than they will get whatever the custom table gives.

I've now got the updated v3. Thanks for the readme credit! :D

Oh, and also cheers for helping to clarify how the Refinements HLAs work. :D

I'm interested in trying this, I see that it's compressed as a zip file...

I have a whole lot of mods installed for a current game, is this known to have issues with any other mods? I'd like to use it for both a campaign through the entire saga.

I'm running

BG/ToSC

Patch

Baldurdash FixPack

EasyTutu

Easy Tutu Degreenifier

Tutu Fix v.17

Easy Tutu NPC Selection

PP1

Finch NPC

Herbs & Potions Add-in

Grey Clan