REAL Underdark Infravision

SixOfSpades

Whoa! I wouldn't go so far as to render spellbooks and your journal inaccessible in dark areas....and, off-topic I know, but what's the point of the level limits? To render all trueclassed demihumans completely obsolete?

Unless someone has light, they can't read. It's a prime example of why those light spells and torches always follow folks into dungeons. I'm attempting to bring as much RP as I can to the game. (Damn I miss P&P!)

Oh, and there won't be any kits. Classes and sub-classes only. :)

As for demi-human level limits, they were there for game balance. Demi-humans tend to have all kinds of bonuses that need some balancing out. I'm going to try and get as many of them into the game as possible. The orignal UA limits were pretty good, levels of 8-10 or so for most race/class combinations. They have the advantage of multi-classing as well. Single-classes can increase two levels past those. And exceptional stats allow things to creep a little higher as well. Since old-school games rarely (if ever) tend to take characters much past name-level, it's not such a discrepancy. It was the rare, rare campaign that got as far as level 20. The demi-humans have the edge at lower levels, but eventually get bypassed by the adaptability of humans, as E.G.G intended.

While I prefer to play in the mid-level range, I also miss the low level challenges that seemed to be completely blown away by the IE games. GRTC is intended to allow starting from 1st level. However, the modules I and hopefully others create for it will allow upper level campaigns from the get-go as well. For example, I'm starting the game off with the GDQ series. (Levels 8 start recommended.) Hopefully there will be something there for everyone. :D

Archived